• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Improving the Panthers in 5 Easy Steps - And So Can You!

Jeremy Igo

My big thing is Shula has to go. Get an offensive mind OC in there that can take advantage of Cam,s strengths. Sure up the line by getting a LT and get a WR then we will be good to go

This. LT is huge bigger than a WR I think because Cam needs excellent protection on his weak side. Frees up players cause you don't have Olsen, Tolbert, or Jstew having to help block with Bell.

I have read several articles last night and this morning about what we need to do.  All has some things right and some wrong and my thoughts after reading them were basically what you have here.

I agree with basically everything you said and the order in which you said it, well done.

Personally I'd like to bring in an impact FA at either WR or LT. I think WR could be the better option because we need a player to stretch the field and I think that you can fill two needs at WR/PR. Randall Cobb IMO is a guy we should look at if the Packers let him go. I'm also a Boykin fan who could be had for less.

I'd love to get cobb. He is so versatile and good be a punt returner. Only thing he isn't going to be cheap. How much would we have to offer him?

I wonder if Arizona moves on from Ginn, they can save over $3m with a June 1 cut. Would love to bring him back as a returner/deep threat. Then maybe go after a guy like Jaelen Strong in the first (good size and speed).

Kelvin/Philly/Cotchery/Ginn/Strong under contract

Bersin/Hill/Lucas/Presley as camp bodies

1.) LT - Looking at the upcoming FA pool, we're better off drafting our bookend LT 1st in the draft. Hog Molly.

2.) Shula - Shula must go. We need to get this hire right as well! We had two extremes with Chud and Shula...time to get it right.

3.) Release bums - We need to finally get rid of bums that have been on the team due to being "nice guys". Bell, Bersein, etc. I honestly feel part of this problem is due to JR...so who knows if it'll truly be resolved.

4.) WR - We have some options in free agency (D. Moore, T. Smith, C. Shorts) but we would probably need to draft a WR with a high draft pick as well.

5.) ST - need a new returner and new coach, nuff said

Well shula needs to go. The offense would do better without him and bring in someone else that can scheme and design quick plays. If that mean a brand new offense so be it. Secondly may need a new qb coach. With that being said cam needs to practice in the off season maybe attending warners camp could help or working out with a coach/qb that can correct his weaknesses. Special teams needs an over haul from coach down period. Need a left tackle and maybe a guard. We may need a saftey corner and defensive end since hardy is gone. We are a few peices away be the players need to put in the work along with getts needs to put in tge work

We certainly overachieved if you look at how the season was going.  Once we scrapped up a presentable offensive line, and was forced to start Stew at running back so he could get his carries, we were able to move the ball on the ground.  Also once we got rid of Godfrey, Cason, removed both Melvin White and Thomas DeCoud from the starting lineup, our defense came alive.  So heading into next season, both squads have solid pieces and they are only going to get better with experience.

Now as respectable as our offensive line has been, let's not act like they didn't have great help in pass blocking.  I feel this killed us quite a bit in the game yesterday.  A lot of our passing downs were using "max protection", which meant Olsen couldn't run routes because he was busy blocking in the backfield.  At times we had two tight ends blocking, along with keeping a halfback to block.  This meant we only had three potential receivers to catch passes for Cam.  It's hard enough to throw on that Seattle secondary, that LOB, with four or five wideouts.  To try and pass on them with only three, which by the way I saw Benjamin out for a lot of passing downs, is pretty much suicide.  Of course every team is familiar with max protection, but I would probably be accurate to say we ran it more than anyone else in the league because of our rookies on the O-line and Byron "Drum" Bell.  Ultimately the priority then is to get a LT.  Hopefully a good rookie LT falls to the 25th spot in the draft, but in all reality at this point in Cam's career and from seeing all the max protection this past season, we probably need an experienced guy there next year.  I'm looking at King Dunlap out of SD and Bryan Buluga out of GB.  With one of them, we can allow our rookie tackle to play on the right side, or if he really is good, play on the left.  We need to say goodbye to Byron Bell, Amini Silatolu, and Kugz.

Our defense looks promising.  We need to add some good safety prospects, and perhaps try to find a third linebacker that can make plays.  That would be awesome to have a third guy that can play at a high level within our LB corps, but that would probably be more of a luxury thing with more pressing needs elsewhere.  That's all I have.

The Panthers improved a great deal as the season went on, mainly due to fresh legs from the rookies and an easier schedule. For the Panthers to take the next step and become a legitimate contender, a few things need to happen.

1. Special Teams Overhaul

Throughout the season special teams has been a game changer for the Panthers, and not in a good way. From undisciplined and unprepared schemes (Minnesota) to muffed punt returns (Arizona), the special teams unit is in no way satisfactory. The special teams coaching staff needs replaced and a legitimate punt/kickoff returner needs to be brought in. These two changes alone will have the most bang for the buck over all other improvements that needs to be made.

2. Left Tackle

Byron Bell is the lowest ranked free agent on PFF. While PFF is not the end all be all of performance, it does provide a good outline of how guys are generally doing compared to others. The Byron experiment has played out, and it didn't work. Cam regressed a bit this season, I believe from David Carr syndrome early on. Poor protection killed Carr's career, and it began to take its toll on Cam this season. Luckily, the Panthers look pretty good now along the offensive line. Remmers, Turner, Kalil, Norwell ... all good enough to win a championship. All that remains is at the very least a satisfactory free agent left tackle, which would be a marked improvement.

3. Wide Receiver

Kelvin Benjamin and Corey Brown are two keepers who should be able to improve and produce under coach Ricky Proehl. Proehl has caught some flack lately, but name for me another wide receivers coach whose two best receivers in the playoffs were rookies (one of them undrafted). The Panthers need another receiver who has the speed to stretch the field. I know many of you are thinking Stephen Hill, and he may still pan out, but I would love to see the Panthers select yet another WR in the first round. It would improve the offense instantly and signal to Cam Newton that the Panthers are serious about providing him with weapons.

4. Faster reads, quicker throws

Ever since training camp began, I have voiced my concerns on how dreadfully slow the Panthers passing plays take to develop and for Cam to recognize the open man and make the throw. Cam needs to react less, and anticipate more. I even remarked that every other passing play in camp was a sack. The problem never went away. There needs to be an emphasis this offseason on getting the ball out quicker on passing downs. The key pick six at the end of the Seattle game is a prime example. The routes take forever to develop and everyone is covered. No quick slant over the middle, no quick read out in the flat. Instead of throwing the ball away, Cam Newton tried to force a throw into double coverage and paid the price. All of this must improve if the Panthers hope to be taken seriously in 2015.

5. Safeties

It is difficult to complain about the Panthers defense right now. They played their hearts out at the end of the season and got little help from the offense and special teams. For them to stay as effective, they will need to improve at both safety positions. I like Tre Boston and think he showed promise, but he is raw and would benefit from open competition in camp. Roman Harper also played well at the end of the year, but more speed at strong safety would cut down on the numerous big plays allowed. Thomas DeCoud should be released and two new solid prospects either via draft or free agency should be brought in.

Great post Jeremy. I would like to add to #4 "getting a bonafide QB coach". Cam needs a new mentor/coach to help him get to the next level IMO.

I didn't see that. But I can't remember rnay positive plays all year with Goldie Lochs.

He didn't slip, he got abused in press coverage all night and on that play his face was in grass. Unacceptable when you are the first read then the pocket collapsed quickly and Cam forced a throw where the safety read the route where Dickson ran a short hook. He shouldn't had been in the game at that point. I suppose Philly got reinjured.

Archived