• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Improving the Panthers in 5 Easy Steps - And So Can You!

Jeremy Igo

The Panthers improved a great deal as the season went on, mainly due to fresh legs from the rookies and an easier schedule. For the Panthers to take the next step and become a legitimate contender, a few things need to happen.

1. Special Teams Overhaul

Throughout the season special teams has been a game changer for the Panthers, and not in a good way. From undisciplined and unprepared schemes (Minnesota) to muffed punt returns (Arizona), the special teams unit is in no way satisfactory. The special teams coaching staff needs replaced and a legitimate punt/kickoff returner needs to be brought in. These two changes alone will have the most bang for the buck over all other improvements that needs to be made.

2. Left Tackle

Byron Bell is the lowest ranked free agent on PFF. While PFF is not the end all be all of performance, it does provide a good outline of how guys are generally doing compared to others. The Byron experiment has played out, and it didn't work. Cam regressed a bit this season, I believe from David Carr syndrome early on. Poor protection killed Carr's career, and it began to take its toll on Cam this season. Luckily, the Panthers look pretty good now along the offensive line. Remmers, Turner, Kalil, Norwell ... all good enough to win a championship. All that remains is at the very least a satisfactory free agent left tackle, which would be a marked improvement.

3. Wide Receiver

Kelvin Benjamin and Corey Brown are two keepers who should be able to improve and produce under coach Ricky Proehl. Proehl has caught some flack lately, but name for me another wide receivers coach whose two best receivers in the playoffs were rookies (one of them undrafted). The Panthers need another receiver who has the speed to stretch the field. I know many of you are thinking Stephen Hill, and he may still pan out, but I would love to see the Panthers select yet another WR in the first round. It would improve the offense instantly and signal to Cam Newton that the Panthers are serious about providing him with weapons.

4. Faster reads, quicker throws

Ever since training camp began, I have voiced my concerns on how dreadfully slow the Panthers passing plays take to develop and for Cam to recognize the open man and make the throw. Cam needs to react less, and anticipate more. I even remarked that every other passing play in camp was a sack. The problem never went away. There needs to be an emphasis this offseason on getting the ball out quicker on passing downs. The key pick six at the end of the Seattle game is a prime example. The routes take forever to develop and everyone is covered. No quick slant over the middle, no quick read out in the flat. Instead of throwing the ball away, Cam Newton tried to force a throw into double coverage and paid the price. All of this must improve if the Panthers hope to be taken seriously in 2015.

5. Safeties

It is difficult to complain about the Panthers defense right now. They played their hearts out at the end of the season and got little help from the offense and special teams. For them to stay as effective, they will need to improve at both safety positions. I like Tre Boston and think he showed promise, but he is raw and would benefit from open competition in camp. Roman Harper also played well at the end of the year, but more speed at strong safety would cut down on the numerous big plays allowed. Thomas DeCoud should be released and two new solid prospects either via draft or free agency should be brought in.

i hope our FO is watching michael roos like a hawk.  if he rehabs well he could be a major sleeper that could come contribute for relatively cheap for a season or two while a young/raw prospect gets ready to step in.  he's very similar to a jordan gross type player.

as for #4 i totally agree.  i'm not advocating going to a west coast offense or anything but there need to be some quick hitters built in to our offensive scheme.  that helps build rhythm and can set up more manageable down and distance.

So many people want to burn it down. When, in actuality, we're only a few pieces away from great things.

Good post, Jeremy

Our offense is still a massive train wreck. Our special teams are statistically the worst in the NFL in every measured category. How do you not want to burn those down?

Our offense is still a massive train wreck. Our special teams are statistically the worst in the NFL in every measured category. How do you not want to burn those down?

Special teams are bad. Offense can be fixed with an LT and another WR.. Better play calls. We aren't far from what we need to be. But, by all means, let's start looking for a new quarterback and set ourselves back a few years. That'll be fun

The good news is that I think we found our future secondary...

Norman, Bene and Colin Jones!

Other than losing Kearse on a 3rd down play in the 1st Q (which it could have been a zone I'm not going back to check) Jones has been a stud. The nickel position is becoming more and more important and Jones has the speed to keep up with any slot and is a great tackler.

Norman and Bene have been awesome. Anyone blaming Bene for Kerse's TD is a moron. It was a perfect throw by Wilson who deserves credit for that.

Have to feel good about these 3 moving forward. Like you said I'm still not sold on Boston. He clearly had no idea the ball was thrown on the first TD. Chris Hackett from TCU is a safety id love to see them atleast take a look at.

Our needs have shrunk considerably.

Needs last year: WR1, WR2, WR3, WR4, LT, LG, RG, RT, CB, FS, SS, DE

This year: LT, WR, S

Sign Torrey Smith, LT in round 1, Safety in round 2, maybe a RB in round 3 as we're probably dumping DWill.

With a new OC and STs coach that's easily a 10+ win team.

Agreed on every point made by OP.  Special teams especially need to be improved.  With our style of offense it would seem to me that field position would be a priority, and yet the unit that greatly affects that is the worst I've seen in Carolina in years, possibly ever.

We do need another left tackle and wide receiver.  I'd like to see us grab another receiver in the first round but I wouldn't be opposed to finding a left tackle in the first round either.  Either of those picks should be our first.  

I think our secondary needs time to gel, I'm happy with Tre Boston, and think he's only going to get better.  He's played well for a rookie I think.

The good news is that I think we found our future secondary...

Norman, Bene and Colin Jones!

Other than losing Kearse on a 3rd down play in the 1st Q (which it could have been a zone I'm not going back to check) Jones has been a stud. The nickel position is becoming more and more important and Jones has the speed to keep up with any slot and is a great tackler.

Norman and Bene have been awesome. Anyone blaming Bene for Kerse's TD is a moron. It was a perfect throw by Wilson who deserves credit for that.

Have to feel good about these 3 moving forward. Like you said I'm still not sold on Boston. He clearly had no idea the ball was thrown on the first TD. Chris Hackett from TCU is a safety id love to see them atleast take a look at.

In the preseason I was terrified of the thought of Colin Jones starting. He is now one of my favorite players on the team. He's a baller, no doubt.

Archived