• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DT Positional Subs

PhillyB

There's been a crapload of threads on here mentioning Fox's affinity for switching positions with personnel... turning CB's into safties, etc. Given this, is there anyone you see on the roster currently playing a position that isn't DT, switching to DT, at least rotationally?

I suspect I'm apocalyptically wrong here, but i thought several seasons back we plugged thomas davis in at DT for at least a couple snaps when there was an injury on the line

Thoughts?

Davis was between safety and LB was he not?

yeah, he was, they never tried to convert him to a permanent DT, but i still am pretty sure they stuck him in there for a few games and he did remarkably well... maybe late '05, or 06

Not that this would EVER happen, but...

We could move Peppers to DT and start Brayton and Brown/Johnson at DE. Peppers would certainly occupy the blockers and would do well in run defense because of his speed and size. It would severely decrease his impact in the pass rush, and probably piss him off a lot, but it could work?

I think we plugged Mackenzy in at RB on Sat. His jaunt from the goal line to the 7-8 yard line put him in for highest YPC average.

Seriously, why do OL/DL never seem to interchange. It is obvious with speed positions, but you wonder why some of the bid OL don't plat DT in a system where they need to stack up/ occupy blockers.

I think we plugged Mackenzy in at RB on Sat. His jaunt from the goal line to the 7-8 yard line put him in for highest YPC average

didn't he recover a fumble and then run with it for those yards? or was i too tanked to remember. hmmm.

I think we plugged Mackenzy in at RB on Sat. His jaunt from the goal line to the 7-8 yard line put him in for highest YPC average.

Seriously, why do OL/DL never seem to interchange. It is obvious with speed positions, but you wonder why some of the bid OL don't plat DT in a system where they need to stack up/ occupy blockers.

Footwork and technique are completely different. Oline has to work together as a unit to keep people out of the backfield or pull to one side or the other. Focus is on technique and working in rhythm.

Defense is more about attacking and being aggressive. Players work together but in a different way. Defenders have responsibilities based on the scheme, down and distance. Offensive guys have responsibilities based on the play called.

I know this is an oversimplification and some players have made the transition well, but even the attitude and personality for an offensive versus defensive linemen are very different.

Archived