• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers vs Ravens...Keys to the Game

firstdayfan

I know its preseason but lets talk some football people!!! The starters will play at least the half and we will definitely gameplan at least a little. With that said the first half of this game should be as close to the real thing as we will get before Sept. 13. Here are the keys to the game.

Offense:

1) Positive yards on 1st and 2nd down, We have to get something on first and second down so that Jake won't be in any third and long situations because thats when this defense brings it. A lot of that will hinge on not having dumb penalties.

2) Use Raven aggression against them, The Jets had a lot of success with draws and screens last night. The Ravens are so aggressive that they can get caught looking in these situations. Play action could be an option if it can be quick.

3) Count the steps, Hopefully Jake doesn't take too many 5 step drops becuase as I said before the Ravens bring a ton of pressure. The ball needs to get out quick, something we have had trouble with thus far in the not important season. Look for Jake to hit the tightends on a few stick routes and maybe even a quick smoke route or two.

Defense:

1) Pressure, The Panthers don't necessarily need to get sacks but they do need to get some pressure on Flacco. If he gets all day to throw then he will hit guys deep down field because of the cannon he has under his pads.

2) Stay home, I love Ray Rice (fantasy sleeper) and as much as he likes to just pound it in the middle he also likes to throw in an occasional cut back. Guys have to stay home and make sure they take away the cutback run (Although its hard to do this when everyone is running to the football like Meeks preaches). Rice also likes to catch passes out of the back field and having guys in the right place can help deter that.

3) Change up those coverages, We match up extremely well against their receivers and Todd Heap isn't what he used to be. The Panthers should throw a few different coverages at Flacco to keep him guessing. Disguising these coverages is pivotal (a plus in Gamble not following the number 1 guy every week).

Special Teams:

1) Field Position, Field position is crucial against the Ravens, if we get backed up then the pressure will be turned up and they could force us to make mistakes. Special teams will play a huge role in this, we need some good returns out of the KR and PR guys.

2) Hold onto the Ball, We have had fumblitis for the first two preseason games and we need to get better at that for sure with most of them coming off returners hands. One of the positives from preseason is that the 1's haven't turned the ball over at all.

3) Tackling, Yeah it should be under defense but we need to tackle well on special teams as well. Guys need to look to wrap up and perform good form tackles instead of trying to strip the ball (another thing Meeks is preaching).

Well, I know thats a lot for a practice game but I just love football and I'm glad that the real stuff is just around the corner!!! This will be a great measuring stick to see where we are as a football team.

Bah. When is getting injured not a key to a game? This is our best look at the team before the season. 3 qtrs of hot hot starter-on-starter, quasi-game-planned action.

As I mentioned in the other thread, from a game planning pov coming off of their MNF performance I want to see pressure on Flacco and success running inside.

Bah. When is getting injured not a key to a game? This is our best look at the team before the season. 3 qtrs of , quasi-game-planned action.

As I mentioned in the other thread, from a game planning pov coming off of their MNF performance I want to see pressure on Flacco and success running inside.

Word Choice Fail

Archived