• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Having seen the Ravens

tim

i am glad that we don't have to face the ravens in regular season, though. that team is seriously good. their defense has been incredible for a long time and the loss of rex ryan isn't going to affect them for a couple years. the only thing that they were lacking to make them special was the offense and they have it now.

expect that team to go deep into the playoffs.

I want to see us get mean, aggressive and perform well in the trenches.

Flacco, I feel is solid, but nothing great. He is still young, so to say he will never be great, I will not do. Reminds me a bit of Rothlesburger, big man, strong arm who benefits from a great defense and a good run game. Big Ben has developed to more than that now, but both were about the same at that point in their careers. Flacco needs to become more accurate if he wants to win Super Bowls. Flacco does benefit from having a QB friendly coach as well.

Jets were having success running inside IIRC which I thought was surprising considering it was against the Ravens first unit.

Leon Washington is a beast as usual.

Cam Cameron is a helluva playcaller. He has really helped Flacco's development. He's just a bad HC. That fake and handoff to Rice(?) for the TD was gorgeous.

Jets were having success running inside IIRC which I thought was surprising considering it was against the Ravens first unit.

Leon Washington is a beast as usual.

Cam Cameron is a helluva playcaller. He has really helped Flacco's development. He's just a bad HC. That fake and handoff to Rice(?) for the TD was gorgeous.

That was the best handoff I'd ever seen. I thought Flacco had fumbled. By the time I figured it out the RB was in the endzone.

During the first two preseason games there are usually no packages or stunting. Any decent NFL team should be able to run. That's been the one thing I've really noticed lacking in the Panthers offence during the first two, I didn't expect to see much out of the passing game without Steve.

Then again they haven't really tried to force the issue and they shouldn't, we all know what Williams can do as witnessed yet again on that jailbreak run Saturday night.

During the first two preseason games there are usually no packages or stunting. Any decent NFL team should be able to run. That's been the one thing I've really noticed lacking in the Panthers offence during the first two, I didn't expect to see much out of the passing game without Steve.

Then again they haven't really tried to force the issue and they shouldn't, we all know what Williams can do as witnessed yet again on that jailbreak run Saturday night.

If you were watching against Miami then you know they were stunting, run blitzing, and stacked the box most of the time the first team was in there. Jake helped that by throwing several passes in a row to back them out of it a bit. They had 8 in the box on many plays often with a 4-4 look. With Smitty and Moose out they didn't really fear the long ball. When Smitty returns it will make it easier to run. Until then we won't look as good as we will when the season starts. And yes Smitty does change the way teams play us.

If you were watching against Miami then you know they were stunting, run blitzing, and stacked the box most of the time the first team was in there. Jake helped that by throwing several passes in a row to back them out of it a bit. They had 8 in the box on many plays often with a 4-4 look. With Smitty and Moose out they didn't really fear the long ball. When Smitty returns it will make it easier to run. Until then we won't look as good as we will when the season starts. And yes Smitty does change the way teams play us.

To be honest I watched, but I can't honestly say I was watching. I did notice they seemed to be playing the run, but I missed any run blitzes, in fairness I was distracted...

During the first two preseason games there are usually no packages or stunting.

True for the most part. But the Ravens and the Jets D were doing a lot of A gap blitzing/outside blitzing, fake & backing out, some line twists etc. while the starters were in at least. That's partly why I was so impressed that the Jets were able to run. Traditionally the Ravens D has been very hard to run against.

True for the most part. But the Ravens and the Jets D were doing a lot of A gap blitzing/outside blitzing, fake & backing out, some line twists etc. while the starters were in at least. That's partly why I was so impressed that the Jets were able to run. Traditionally the Ravens D has been very hard to run against.

Yeah I have to admit I've been slack watching the practice games this year. Although I've been a little torn on the subject it's probably time the NFL shortens the pre-season. The first two games are basically televised, and full price ticket inter squad scrimmages.

With the Panthers injuries there really isn't much of a choice other than to keep it stupid simple...

I believe when teams scheme or even display packages they're desperate to kick start the season, I'd like to see more out of the Panthers, but it doesn't really bother me that they haven't, given the situation.

I still wish we have another guy that can stretch the field. Moose and Jarrett are more possession-type receivers and I'm not sure if Kenny Moore has that kind of speed. It boggles me how our offense is closer to a Coryell-type offense, yet, there's only one receiver that can reliable stretch the field.

(Sorry, went on a tangent there) :crazy:

As for the Ravens, one of the bright spots of 2006 was that win against them. Yeah, we had turnovers but boy, we put up yardage that day. Just hoping we can survive through this preseason game without another meltdown because of injury or crappy performance.

I still wish we have another guy that can stretch the field. Moose and Jarrett are more possession-type receivers and I'm not sure if Kenny Moore has that kind of speed. It boggles me how our offense is closer to a Coryell-type offense, yet, there's only one receiver that can reliable stretch the field.

(Sorry, went on a tangent there) :crazy:

The bad part about this offense is it seems rarely can you develop a WR who can produce in a vertical passing game. Other systems make the WR position seem so easy to plug in anybody. Here, requires a lot of athleticism and skill. A flash in the pan Colbert turned out not to be a good fit and an aging Keyshawn Johnson wasn't a great fit. Maybe a more talented and more durable Drew Carter would be the perfect complement to Smith.

in the Henning system which is currently the Davidson system, similar offenses, that was implemented in 2002, we've never drafted a WR that proved he was starting material.

Archived