• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign a player who once beat them

Rod Butsecks

(By David Scott, [email protected]) strongKevin Kaesviharn/strong's strong/strongunique-sounding last name might be enough to make many NFL fans remember him.p/But Kaesviharn, a safety signed Monday by the Carolina Panthers, should be familiar to those who follow the Panthers.p/In 2006, Kaesviharn (pronounced CASE-vih-arn), then with the Cincinnati Bengals, made a pretty notable defensive play against the Panthers.p/The Panthers had some decent momentum going for them that season ndash; winning four in a row after losing their first two ndash; heading into a game against the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium.p/The Panthers trailed 17-14 late in the game, and had a play they thought couldn't miss on a third-and-goal at Cincinnati's 10. The play was designed for strongKeyshawn Johnson /strongto run to the back of the end zone and turn left.p/According to film the Panthers had watched all week, Kaesviharn ndash; then a Bengals safety ndash; wouldn't be near the ball.p/Instead, he stepped in front of Johnson and intercepted strongJake Delhomme/strong's strong/strongpass, preserving a Bengals victory.p/ldquo;I kind of lucked into it,rdquo; Kaesviharn said Monday after his first practice with the Panthers. ldquo;The week before, I think we played Tampa. They ran a similar route. They tried to run a pivot with the outside guy and get someone behind. p/ldquo;I lucked into it kind of because I (turned) the right way. If (Johnson) had broken (differently), they would have had it. But he ended up coming in and I was right there.rdquo;p/Kaesviharn is a nine-year NFL veteran who also has experience in the XFL and Arena Football League. He played at NCAA Division II Augustana (S.D.), where he briefly served as an assistant coach.p/Other newsp/span class=icon icon-bullet/spanKaesviharn takes the roster spot of receiver strongJason Carter/strong, who was released. Carter was competing for a spot as the team's No.4 receiver and a punt/kick returner but hadn't been impressive in the preseason. He dropped an open pass in an exhibition last week against the New York Giants. p/That leaves strongKenneth Moore /strongand strongRyne Robinson /strongas candidates for the receiver's spot behind strongSteve Smith/strong, strongMuhsin Muhammad /strongand strongDwayne Jarrett/strong.p/span class=icon icon-bullet/spanLinebackers strongThomas Davis /strongand strongLandon Johnson/strong, who missed much of training camp with injuries, returned to practice. Running back strongJonathan Stewart /strongcontinued to rest a sore Achilles tendon and guard strongC.J. Davis /strong(ankle) and safety strongNate Salley /strong(knee) also missed practice.

More...

Keyshawn blew that play and blamed everyone else for it. Kaesviharn used to be a decent safety, but as his days in New Orleans showed he's lost a step and isn't as effective as he used to be.

Moreover, he's due a ton if he makes the roster, because he's a 11 or 12 year veteran. That means his cap figure will be over 700K (I feel safe saying that, it may be over 800K). The Panthers need to find money for a DT, I doubt they want to spend that much on a third string player with no long term future on the team.

He's very likely just here to help fill out the unit in practice drills.

(By David Scott, [email protected]) strongKevin Kaesviharn/strong's strong/strongunique-sounding last name might be enough to make many NFL fans remember him.p/But Kaesviharn, a safety signed Monday by the Carolina Panthers, should be familiar to those who follow the Panthers.p/In 2006, Kaesviharn (pronounced CASE-vih-arn), then with the Cincinnati Bengals, made a pretty notable defensive play against the Panthers.p/The Panthers had some decent momentum going for them that season ndash; winning four in a row after losing their first two ndash; heading into a game against the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium.p/The Panthers trailed 17-14 late in the game, and had a play they thought couldn't miss on a third-and-goal at Cincinnati's 10. The play was designed for strongKeyshawn Johnson /strongto run to the back of the end zone and turn left.p/According to film the Panthers had watched all week, Kaesviharn ndash; then a Bengals safety ndash; wouldn't be near the ball.p/Instead, he stepped in front of Johnson and intercepted strongJake Delhomme/strong's strong/strongpass, preserving a Bengals victory.p/ldquo;I kind of lucked into it,rdquo; Kaesviharn said Monday after his first practice with the Panthers. ldquo;The week before, I think we played Tampa. They ran a similar route. They tried to run a pivot with the outside guy and get someone behind. p/ldquo;I lucked into it kind of because I (turned) the right way. If (Johnson) had broken (differently), they would have had it. But he ended up coming in and I was right there.rdquo;p/Kaesviharn is a nine-year NFL veteran who also has experience in the XFL and Arena Football League. He played at NCAA Division II Augustana (S.D.), where he briefly served as an assistant coach.p/Other newsp/span class=icon icon-bullet/spanKaesviharn takes the roster spot of receiver strongJason Carter/strong, who was released. Carter was competing for a spot as the team's No.4 receiver and a punt/kick returner but hadn't been impressive in the preseason. He dropped an open pass in an exhibition last week against the New York Giants. p/That leaves strongKenneth Moore /strongand strongRyne Robinson /strongas candidates for the receiver's spot behind strongSteve Smith/strong, strongMuhsin Muhammad /strongand strongDwayne Jarrett/strong.p/span class=icon icon-bullet/spanLinebackers strongThomas Davis /strongand strongLandon Johnson/strong, who missed much of training camp with injuries, returned to practice. Running back strongJonathan Stewart /strongcontinued to rest a sore Achilles tendon and guard strongC.J. Davis /strong(ankle) and safety strongNate Salley /strong(knee) also missed practice.

More...

Man, David Scott thinks a lot of people are strong

Archived