• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

George Foster

Delhommey

The Browns dumped him today. He could get under the cap, and while I think the Dude has a future at guard, he's looked lost when faced with any kind of outside speed.

Foster's got starting experience, and would be a much better stopgap than anything I've seen in preseason. Obviously not the kind of tackle we need most, but it could be a cheap piece of the puzzle.

Thoughts?

The Browns dumped him today. He could get under the cap, and while I think the Dude has a future at guard, he's looked lost when faced with any kind of outside speed.

Foster's got starting experience, and would be a much better stopgap than anything I've seen in preseason. Obviously not the kind of tackle we need most, but it could be a cheap piece of the puzzle.

Thoughts?

He might be good for the vet minimum, maybe like Bridges was when we signed him. I think the Oline depth is about a year away of being as good as it was but there is some potential there in Bernadeau, Robinson, Geisinger, Schwartz, and even that Williams kid who plays left tackle with the two's.

Foster doesn't have to clear waivers as he's been in the league 7 years. He immediately becomes an unrestricted FA.

Vets of over 4 years only have to clear waivers only if they're cut after the trade deadline.

Now if he's worth going after is a legit question.

Wow. I remember when he played with the Reds. He must be ancient by now.

Oh wait...wrong George Foster :sosp:

This edition of George Foster is the one who went at the ankle of a guy a few years back on a cut block and put him out for the season (forget who the victim was). Given that his OL coach at the time was all-around douchebag Alex Gibbs, that's not terribly surprising.

That incident is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear his name. Sadly, part of the reason for that is that he's never really stood out for much of anything else.

Giving him the Wharton/Bridges treatment and trying him at backup guard and tackle? I could see it. Certainly wouldn't want to have to have a guy who couldn't beat out John St Clair and Ryan Tucker as a starter, but as depth? Maybe.

(keeping in mind that "depth" can become "starter" in a single unfortunate play)

Foster doesn't have to clear waivers as he's been in the league 7 years. He immediately becomes an unrestricted FA.

Vets of over 4 years only have to clear waivers only if they're cut after the trade deadline.

Now if he's worth going after is a legit question.

Noted, thanks.

If he's still good in protection, I think he would be worth an invite at the very least. But I will be surprised if they extend one before they get the DT position worked out. They already have to play salary cap games, no sense in making them more complicated now.

Archived