• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Camera Bag - Playoff Edition

Jeremy Igo

Ok, here's one, and it might be a stupid question. How does your press access work? I know the ESPN guys and reporters for the local newspapers can use their backing, but how does that work for guys who run fan pages? Do you have an agreement to sell photos to the Charlotte news outlets or anything?

Not trying to be super nosy, just have no idea how any of that works.

Jeremy, I've been wondering this too.

This may not interest many of you, but for those of you with an interest in photography, here is how I travel to away NFL games. (The irony of me taking these photos with my phone is not lost on me.)

Remember, I don't have the luxury of corporate backing and a large budget. I own and maintain all of this equipment. So you won't see any 12,000 dollar lenses like the big boys use. But I make do...

First up, and should not be overlooked, is travel bag. I choose to use a backpack, namely the Tamrac Expedition 8x. FOr me its just much easier and mobile to get around a crowded stadium area and in the tunnels. This thing is iron clad, have had it for years. Even accidentally dropped it in a pool once (don't ask). None of my equipment was wet.

2015-01-09_10_06_36.jpg

A nice feature is the front pocket is large enough to fit a 17 inch laptop.

2015-01-09_10_07_18.jpg

The monopod is mounted on the side. A monopod is just what it sounds like, a tripod but with one led. It is a back and shoulder saver on the field and a big help in keeping the frame steady. Its a manfrotto monopod, highly recommended brand. Very durable.

Inside the bag....

2015-01-09_10_08_17.jpg

Camera Bodies:

Nikon D4 - The Nikon D4 is a solid football camera. Super quick reaction, durable, and amazing low light capabilities for night games. Really I have no urge to use anything else.

Nikon D3s -

The D3s is also good, but with less megapixels and not quite as good low light performance, but still more than acceptable.

(note: a good way to get my eyes to gloss over and lose interest is telling me how much better one camera brand is better than another. I really don't care. To mimic Jack Nicholson in The Departed.... I'm an artist. Give me a fuggin polaroid and I'll get ya something out of it. )

That mesh nylon bag up top? Holds the aquatech sport shield. Think rain coat for a camera. Probably smart to take it to Seattle. Obviously I don't take it to dome games.

The Lenses:

Sigma 120-300 2.8. This is my main football camera. A lot of photographers use 400-600mm to shoot football. Editors want really tight photos of players. I really don't care for that as much. 300mm for me is the ideal length. Here is why...

A shot a newspaper or magazine editor would like... tight and facial expression

exa.jpg

A shot I prefer....

exb.jpg

For me, the second picture tells more of a story, it even reads left to right. Of course, there is no correct answer. This is all subjective.

Sure, with only 300mm of reach I have to run around like a mad man while other guys can just hang out in the end zone, but I need the exercise.

Nikon 70-200 2.8 This is mainly a backup lens should the sigma lens fail. I will use it something in goal line situations within the 5 yard line especially if I think a run is coming.

Nikon 24-70 2.8 This is my wide angle. Used for celebrations that are close for me and player interactions on the field after the game.

Like these...

DSC_8364-Edit-Edit~0.jpg

charles-johnson.jpg

That strap in the middle of the camera bag is a black rapid camera strap. If you still use the old school camera straps that connect to the top of the camera at either end, you should stop. This new type of strap connects to the bottom of the camera and is made for super quick pull and shoot. SO if you are on a monopod with a large lens and have exactly 1.3 seconds to grab your wide angle and get a shot off... its a must have.

Overall the weight is about 40 pounds. Gives me a good amount of exercise lugging it to and fro.

There you have it, a one man show covering the game from the field on a modest budget.

Thanks, Jeremy. As a novice who loves photography, I must say its a crime you don't have large corporate backing. You're work is terrific. We are lucky to have you.

Always on board.

never checked.

Never really stopped through the security line. They see tons of traveling journalists. Last time I traveled the x-ray gal even asked "Nikon or Canon" from behind her computer.

"Is that a leica M6?"

"M7 actually"

Then you got an alleyway beej from her and Deidrich Bader stole your wallet right?

I'm gonna go watch Eurotrip now. 

Archived