• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Blaming Cam is easy, but often a mistake.

Jeremy Igo

I don't see how anyone really doubts Cam anymore. Comp % doesn't always tell the full story on the effectiveness or true accuracy of a QB.

Cam needs to improve on some things, but even if he doesn't he is good enough to win with now.

I don't see how anyone really doubts Cam anymore. Comp % doesn't always tell the full story on the effectiveness or true accuracy of a QB.

Cam needs to improve on some things, but even if he doesn't he is good enough to win with now.

The only flaw I see in his game now is the accuracy thing. I think he does a pretty good job reading defenses and knowing where to go with the ball. He was able to diagnose the cover three pretty quickly with Dickson on that throw he missed against ARI

Pff has Cam as the second most inaccurate qualifying qb just ahead of Hoyer. They take out drops, throw aways, spikes, batted balls, and hit as throwing passes.

That throw was put where it needs to be for sure.  There should be no complaint at all.  But lets be real here, criticisms that he sometimes overthrows 4 or 5 feet above the receiver, or forces the ball into Benjamin while Stewart or Olsen are wide open are something completely different.  In those cases, criticism is actually well founded.  So while I totally agree that he gets blamed for some things he should not, other times it is right on.

In this case it was not founded.

Pff has Cam as the second most inaccurate qualifying qb just ahead of Hoyer. They take out drops, throw aways, spikes, batted balls, and hit as throwing passes.

That is all they consider?  There are a lot more variables to consider.  Do you grade a dome QB the same as an elements QB?  Do you grade dink and dunk offenses the same as a vertical passing offense?  Is accuracy weighted by difficulty of throw (like deep outs and corner routes)?  Does a QB get better weighted when he throws into tight windows?

Cam is not perfect, nor the most accurate QB in the NFL.  But he is good enough to win with and he is obviously a playmaker.  He is also just 25 with well over 100 TDs to his credit.

Not sure how people still doubt him.  If they do they will never be satisfied with any young QB.  Or most vets either. 

Some of you will never be satisfied unless you have a QB at 25 that is as good as Rodgers, Peyton, or Brady was at 35.  So.... never.

I'm pretty sure its been talked about, but Cam needs to learn to throw the ball with more touch. It would give him more room for error, and give his receivers a much better chance of making a play. He throws the ball so hard that its got be almost a perfect pass to be completed. I cant remember if that was the case with this particular throw, but I think we struggle to complete more deep balls because of this.

We struggle to complete deep balls because we have no vertical threat and when KB gets a step he drops it.

There were four drops by TY and Fleener also missed one. That makes it 5.

With respect to Cam's game, if you factor in those he missed it could have made for a decent %. If we can blame KB for drops certainly we can hold Cam accountable too, no? If we both agree he needs to improve then we are on the same page.

We are on the same page in that regard, however, you only emphasized his low completion percentage and how it was mostly on him...  it's not.  Too many moving parts.  The dropped passes were just an example of how other parts of the equation can totally screw the results.  I could use other examples, such as number of sacks he's taken, number of QB hits he's taken, amount of time in a clean pocket, slow developing routes, slow receivers, etc.  All I'm saying, is he's not as bad as people try to make him out to be.  Yes, he needs to improve, but the improvement that needs to be made isn't dramatic.

Only thing I see here is a rookie WR struggling to get off the jam of one of the best CB's in the game.

Perfectly normal, and that play will keep the D honest, even if it doesn't get what we all wanted, and what the Panthers struggle with....a TD.

We are on the same page in that regard, however, you only emphasized his low completion percentage and how it was mostly on him... it's not. Too many moving parts. The dropped passes were just an example of how other parts of the equation can totally screw the results. I could use other examples, such as number of sacks he's taken, number of QB hits he's taken, amount of time in a clean pocket, slow developing routes, slow receivers, etc. All I'm saying, is he's not as bad as people try to make him out to be. Yes, he needs to improve, but the improvement that needs to be made isn't dramatic.

This thread was about Cam. We've had others about WRs and others about oline. Also if you've read my post, I stated that all QB will have WR drop balls and have sacks and hurries. That's why no QB has ever had 100% completion in a season. The highest ever was I think 71% in a season. However, completions below 60% are usually had by mediocre QB factoring in all of those things. This is why Cam himself admitted on national TV that he needs to work on his mechanics. If it was that easy, I'm sure he'd be doing it. It's going to take some commitment from him

The link below is just one throw, but it's a perfect example of the passes Cam Newton makes and people forget about.

https://vine.co/v/OpaKnuBXerm

This pass went incomplete, but not because of placement or read.  Cam is looking to his left at the snap and scans all the way back across the field. This is actually really great pass defense (notice the Nickel making a pretty good break), but Cam makes a PERFECT throw that isn't a lob, it's a low strike that is either caught or or incomplete.  This is just one example in addition to the OP as Cam making BIG TIME throws and the pass falling incomplete.  Receivers do a lot to help QBs and once they start making those catches, it'll become contagious.

Keep Pounding.

Archived