• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Blaming Cam is easy, but often a mistake.

Jeremy Igo

I am the first to admit that Cam at times does overthrow receivers. But there is a trend lately on twitter for blaming him when there is a but more to the story.

Example... Jaws claims Cam overthrew Kelvin Benjamin in the end zone against Seattle earlier this year... Bill provided a screen shot

B64q5mECEAIjE_S.jpg

The problem here is that the ball is perfectly placed where it needs to be. Corner of the end zone, where KB or no one will get it. In fact, when Cam throws the ball, Benjamin is way back at the 15 yard line. Cam is not throwing to a receiver, but a spot where he expects Kelvin to be.

So why wasn't Kelvin there?

Well, maybe because Richard Sherman did I nice job of disrupting Kelvin's route right at the allowed 5 yard mark.

B66Bu6nCQAAkzvA.jpg

Pretty good play by Sherman that saved a touchdown. Should Kelvin have fought through it and gotten there? Probably. I suspect that is something Kelvin will get better at as time goes on.

In short, people are too quick to blame cam on passing downs.

I can't remember, was the ball thrown before or after Benjamin had worked through Sherman's bump?

After, but the bump happens as Cam's back is turned for the play action. (pictured above) All Cam sees is a 1 on 1 matchup for a TD. Its the right throw, and placed where it needs to be.

IMO, Kelvin needs to get there.

But's it's so easy!

Counterpoint:  Cam should have seen KB and Sherman fighting and found a different receiver.

Not saying I agree with that, but there's the counter argument that the critics point out.  Watching some playoff ball this weekend, I saw lots of times for every QB where these little things happen.  More often than not, the pass gets missed.  Maybe 20% of the time, the play is made, that QB looks like a great QB the receiver looks like a stud, and everyone goes on their way.

Cam is easy to point a finger at because he is the face of the Panthers.  He's had issues in the past that have been very well publicized.  He also has been a real media target since he came into the league for what he says and how he dresses.  Just wait until Manziel starts really playing next year, then we aught to hear a lot less about Cam criticism.

I am the first to admit that Cam at times does overthrow receivers. But there is a trend lately on twitter for blaming him when there is a but more to the story.

Example... Panthers fan @markriso claims Cam overthrew Kelvin Benjamin in the end zone against Seattle earlier this year... Bill provided a screen shot

B64q5mECEAIjE_S.jpg

The problem here is that the ball is perfectly placed where it needs to be. Corner of the end zone, where KB or no one will get it. In fact, when Cam throws the ball, Benjamin is way back at the 15 yard line. Cam is not throwing to a receiver, but a spot where he expects Kelvin to be.

So why wasn't Kelvin there?

Well, maybe because Richard Sherman did I nice job of disrupting Kelvin's route right at the allowed 5 yard mark.

B66Bu6nCQAAkzvA.jpg

Pretty good play by Sherman that saved a touchdown. Should Kelvin have fought through it and gotten there? Probably. I suspect that is something Kelvin will get better at as time goes on.

In short, people are too quick to blame cam on passing downs.

Actually the basis of the tweet started with something that Jaws said (I believe on NFL live).

Jaws said that Cam overthrew Benji on a particular play earlier in the season against Seattle and Voth didn't remember the play. 

Insert Mark the Panther fan. Mark tweeted the picture to Voth, and then you promptly corrected all of them by displaying the full play.

And now... here we are.

Side note: It might just be me but it sure looks like Sherman got there early.

Actually the basis of the tweet started with something that Jaws said (I believe on NFL live).

Jaws said that Cam overthrew Benji on a particular play earlier in the season against Seattle and Voth didn't remember the play. 

Insert Mark the Panther fan. Mark tweeted the picture to Voth, and then you promptly corrected all of them by displaying the full play.

And now... here we are.

Ah, ok... Fixed it.

Well... Suck it, Jaws.

I give Cam a hard time and it's not always his fault at all. But I've just come to expect that a QB in his fourth year would have finally gotten his footwork down and could hit wide open receivers. Cam could be great but he's wildly inconsistent. Tomorrow night he needs to show up and be perfect for us to win that game.

After, but the bump happens as Cam's back is turned for the play action. (pictured above) All Cam sees is a 1 on 1 matchup for a TD. Its the right throw, and placed where it needs to be.

IMO, Kelvin needs to get there.

Could be that Cam needs to know where Kelvin should be at the time he turns to throw around and maybe should have noticed that he was a little short of that mark? Just offering a counter-point here. I did think it was a good throw.

But's it's so easy!

Counterpoint:  Cam should have seen KB and Sherman fighting and found a different receiver.

Not saying I agree with that, but there's the counter argument that the critics point out.  Watching some playoff ball this weekend, I saw lots of times for every QB where these little things happen.  More often than not, the pass gets missed.  Maybe 20% of the time, the play is made, that QB looks like a great QB the receiver looks like a stud, and everyone goes on their way.

Cam is easy to point a finger at because he is the face of the Panthers.  He's had issues in the past that have been very well publicized.  He also has been a real media target since he came into the league for what he says and how he dresses.  Just wait until Manziel starts really playing next year, then we aught to hear a lot less about Cam criticism.

Not trying to be an ass, but I think that's a terrible counterpoint.  The play action baited in the safeties.  You can see they both bit in the picture.  He had the 1-on-1, and even though Sherman got a good press, KB still got behind him.  Sherman's closest safety help was 5 yards behind the play.  It's the perfect situation, and Cam read it perfectly.  It's up to KB to fight off the press and get the 2 extra steps he needs to make the play, instead of getting sucked in and wearing Sherman as a cape, trying to lay out for one.

I've just come to the conclusion like I said in the other thread.  This is who Cam is.  He is always going to be inconsistent in his career.  He will always be a good-average QB until somehow he fixes his obvious flaws in his mechanics.  That play is just whatever in my opinion, if KB catches the ball Cam gets credit for an outstanding throw as well.  It's just whatever at this point.  I've just come to the conclusion as Dex said, we can expect a good and a bad Cam.  Hopefully we get the good tomorrow evening.     

Archived