• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We're probably squandering the preseason away

frash.exe

i'd love to know what counter, misdirection or sweep run we could call that hadn't been called last year, which is some of the film our opponents will look at, that everybody is holding their cards close to the vest for.

nobody is saying run end arounds, flea flickers, or any designed plays we've just integrated into the playbook. If you think it's going to make a difference whether or not we open the playbook up a little bit and limit it to run some of the plays that we ran last year in those games every team has film access to, well, i can't help you out anymore....

...this isn't Battleship.

i'd love to know what counter, misdirection or sweep run we could call that hadn't been called last year, which is some of the film our opponents will look at, that everybody is holding their cards close to the vest for.

nobody is saying run end arounds, flea flickers, or any designed plays we've just integrated into the playbook. If you think it's going to make a difference whether or not we open the playbook up a little bit and limit it to run some of the plays that we ran last year in those games every team has film access to, well, i can't help you out anymore....

...this isn't Battleship.

On offense it just goes to show you what happens when we don't have Smitty and for Miami both Smitty and Moose. It was clear against Miami that they were stacking the box and playing primarily against the run on every play short of third and long. It wasn't until Jake loosened them up with several passes in a row that we actually moved the ball. The thing is I don't believe we are trying to hold back as much as we are trying to develop a basic set of plays and run them well no matter who is in the game. We aren't keeping things hidden as much as are trying to do the basics well before we diversify alot. Frankly if Smitty or Moose were in there, you would see a much better offense. I hope.

On defense we are simply trying to master the basics before we complicate things. Zone blitzes do nothing if you leave massive holes in the secondary and miss tackles right and left. We are learning Meeks system and it will take time, like it or not. Other teams being ahead of us on defense for example is simply a reflection of the fact that they have used the same scheme for years perhaps and are further along. We aren't squandering anything. We desperately need these games and the resultant practice and game film to fix as much as we can before they count. I expect we will be a work in progress for much of the year. Hopefully we play our best ball when it counts in December and January. Like it or not, September may be painful unless the offense bails us out.

On offense it just goes to show you what happens when we don't have Smitty and for Miami both Smitty and Moose. It was clear against Miami that they were stacking the box and playing primarily against the run on every play short of third and long. It wasn't until Jake loosened them up with several passes in a row that we actually moved the ball. The thing is I don't believe we are trying to hold back as much as we are trying to develop a basic set of plays and run them well no matter who is in the game. We aren't keeping things hidden as much as are trying to do the basics well before we diversify alot. Frankly if Smitty or Moose were in there, you would see a much better offense. I hope.

Where was Jarrett if that's the case? Along with a few others that got very, very few looks.

That's my point.

Where was Jarrett if that's the case? Along with a few others that got very, very few looks.

That's my point.

Jarrett is a guy who plays almost exclusively against slot defenders, safeties, and linebackers. He was playing against tougher competition and struggled. In the end it will make him better but frankly he doesn't have the skills to seperate from a corner like Smitty or Moose do. That is why he will be our third or fourth receiver at best right now.

Without Moose and Smitty for example we used more TE sets and used Moore and Robinson. Maybe it was simply because we knew we were cutting Carter and needed to see Moore and Robinson so we decide who is going to stay. I don't really know why he didn't play more than he did?

Jarrett is a guy who plays almost exclusively against slot defenders, safeties, and linebackers. He was playing against tougher competition and struggled. In the end it will make him better but frankly he doesn't have the skills to seperate from a corner like Smitty or Moose do. That is why he will be our third or fourth receiver at best right now.

Without Moose and Smitty for example we used more TE sets and used Moore and Robinson. Maybe it was simply because we knew we were cutting Carter and needed to see Moore and Robinson so we decide who is going to stay. I don't really know why he didn't play more than he did?

Which is pretty much what I said in another thread. :cheers2:

Thanks.

Some of yall are whining and moaning about a few meaningless preseason games. Smith and Stewart have not been here. Jake and Williams have both only handled the ball a few times. Without our star backs, a star receiever, and our starting QB.... what can you really expect? Do you really expect to win game after game without them? In the regular season, if we played with the roster we have been playing with after quarter 1 like in these preseason games, we would be getting our asses kicked every game. Week 1 is when it all boils down.

I was reading my USA Today mag yesterday an dread two comments by two different HCs that apply here.

Tony Sparano said that a reason they ran the WC vs Carolina (or in preseason more generally) is that sometimes a staff wants to see what the other team will do to defend it vs how it was defended the previous year (before teams had film of it and an offseason to prepare was the implication).

Jeff Fisher said that there are two schools of thought on preseason, there are teams that show a lot so opponents have to prepare for a lot regardless of whether they actually are going to run those plays, and teams that show nothing. He said he wasn't going to go into which they were.

I was reading my USA Today mag yesterday an dread two comments by two different HCs that apply here.

Tony Sparano said that a reason they ran the WC vs Carolina (or in preseason more generally) is that sometimes a staff wants to see what the other team will do to defend it vs how it was defended the previous year (before teams had film of it and an offseason to prepare was the implication).

Jeff Fisher said that there are two schools of thought on preseason, there are teams that show a lot so opponents have to prepare for a lot regardless of whether they actually are going to run those plays, and teams that show nothing. He said he wasn't going to go into which they were.

Given Fox's general demeanor to be paranoid about giving anything away, I imagine he is in the latter group. Given that Fisher acknowledged that other teams take the same approach at times, perhaps people will stop making so much of what we are or are not doing.

On another note given we will have plenty of film looking at what other teams will do to defense the wildcat before we have to play them again.

I agree that Fox falls into the latter description. I think Fisher is a little of both though because of that fake punt. I think Fisher also believes in resting starters in the last game if there is "nothing to play for" which is another controversial stance.

Point is, there are successful coaches in both camps.

Archived