• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We're probably squandering the preseason away

frash.exe

only on the huddle can people interpret this as me being pissed that they are not winning preseason games when i hadn't even referenced winning a game in the OP

WHY DO YOU WANT TO KILL YOURSELF????? :eek::eek::eek:

Guess maybe the way I was raised and taught growing up doesn't apply to football, but it sure was every time I ever stepped on the field.

You give it your all, always do your best, give 100 % and so on and so on. Guess big money and big biz doesn't follow that so much.

I just figured it would go for the organization as a whole, but I guess it doesn't. It must be really discouraging when you don't really get to showcase your ability, and what you can do because of vanilla excuses about giving nothing away to the opponent, and only to get cut because of the limitations laid down on you just because of that.

It ain't easy.

Jeez its only the Pre-season. Why would we show the Giants or the Fins who we play in the regular season what we are gonna do. Hell its best we let them think they can run it right up the gut and shut down our RBs and WRs. If they showed us anything then they are the ones on the losing end not us.

Jeez its only the Pre-season. Why would we show the Giants or the Fins who we play in the regular season what we are gonna do. Hell its best we let them think they can run it right up the gut and shut down our RBs and WRs. If they showed us anything then they are the ones on the losing end not us.

Whatever. Do you think for one minute they won't have game film on us between now from this regular season?? :rolleyes:

A. The Fins only showed what they ran last year in at least Wildcat, and

B. whatever the two teams lost by "tipping us off", they gained in using a play they will probably be more comfortable running during the season. Anyway by the time we play them we will know a lot of what they are running anyway since both games are later on in the season.

Guess maybe the way I was raised and taught growing up doesn't apply to football, but it sure was every time I ever stepped on the field.

You give it your all, always do your best, give 100 % and so on and so on. Guess big money and big biz doesn't follow that so much.

I just figured it would go for the organization as a whole, but I guess it doesn't. It must be really discouraging when you don't really get to showcase your ability, and what you can do because of vanilla excuses about giving nothing away to the opponent, and only to get cut because of the limitations laid down on you just because of that.

It ain't easy.

Teams are trying to win within the context of what they need to accomplish each week. Players are trying their best but obviously the goal is not on winning or you would play your starters all game. Starters are surely not giving 100% unless they think their job is in jeopardy or they are that kind of person like Williams and Delhomme etc. Backups are giving 100% since their future totally depends on their performance.

But obviously winning the game at the expense of not looking at the backups or giving lots of reps to the lines to develop depth would be stupid. We are focused on developing the team and getting better. Right now the score is way down the list as far as objectives while during the season the final score is all that matters.

Seems pretty easy to figure out for anyone who can take the time to see the bigger picture.

Teams are trying to win within the context of what they need to accomplish each week. Players are trying their best but obviously the goal is not on winning or you would play your starters all game. Starters are surely not giving 100% unless they think their job is in jeopardy or they are that kind of person like Williams and Delhomme etc. Backups are giving 100% since their future totally depends on their performance.

But obviously winning the game at the expense of not looking at the backups or giving lots of reps to the lines to develop depth would be stupid. We are focused on developing the team and getting better. Right now the score is way down the list as far as objectives while during the season the final score is all that matters.

Seems pretty easy to figure out for anyone who can take the time to see the bigger picture.

I think you are not understanding what I was saying, and I'm to tired to try and explain it right now. Maybe tomorrow. :cheers2:

practice is practice,

hell in 06 they practiced Gamble's lateral the week before Minnesota and look how that turned out for us...

And pre -season is PRE-SEASON

So if they ran that same lateral in pre- season it would work ?

...with all these vanilla plays. So basically the offense, as well as defensive players, all they're learning right now is how to get their ass beat. Fox seems more concerned locking as much of the playbook up as he can than actually seeing how his players look when the opposing unit can only guess what they are running.

Keep in mind you can run creative plays in the preseason without "giving too much away". Miami ran the same wildcat plays last Saturday that they did in 2008, but this will give them sort of a feel for the package they're running this year. I'm sure we have a wildcat formation, but our first run will probably be an embarrassing loss for yards because our players have never run it in a game situation this year yet.

if our players come out against Philly looking like they don't know what the hell they're doing don't say I didn't warn you.

Please fight those bad voices in your head. They are making you sound like an idiot again.

While the fan's get all uptight about pre-season loses ,Panthers coaches are doing what pre-season is desinged for .

Get players into shape for the season

Watching how players execute what they have practiced.

Trying to keep as many players as possible healthy

Get players to Gel together as a team

And cut out the players they don't need.

If the starters were playing every down

If they were game planning

If all the starters were playing at all

Then I would be worried

As a fan wins would be nice and would HYPE some up

But pre-season is not about wins or loses

Thats the regular season ,when it counts

Pre-season is always tough on the fans. You want to see your team rack up the wins, because somewhere inside that pride button just needs to be pushed when your team take the field. Whether or not it means something for real, it does mean something to you.

That being said, the outcome of a pre-season game means nothing. Heck, 90% of the action in a pre-season game means nothing. That remaining 10%, however, might make the difference in a season.

The Pre-season matters the most to:

1. The Offensive Line: Can they gel into a unit? Can they exert themselves for a push on a vanilla running play? Can they pick up a blitzing line backer? Can the guards pull and make a block at the second level of the defense? Can you fit in a second stringer that will support the men beside him?

2. Special Teams: Can your special teams aces get the others up to speed? Can one of the backup DBs or WRs operate effectively as a gunner on punts? Will a couple of the scrubs put on the kamikaze headbands and give it their all to make the team? Will that project player reliably catch the ball after a kickoff or punt? Does that guy have the brains to know when to run with it or when to fair catch it? Can the longsnapper make the connection?

3. Third WR/Slot Receiver: Will a bubble player show the bravery needed to catch a pass in traffic across the middle? Will that person always know where the first down marker is or will the only go eight yards when you need 10? Will that guy throw a downfield block to help the running game?

4. Back-up QBs: Is that veteran, journeyman QB worth what you're going to pay? Is your development QB actually developing? Are they comfortable behind the line and do they anticipate where the pocket will collapse and adjust accordingly?

5. Fill-ins from other teams: Every team has a hole in their plans somewhere. Can your scouts find someone on another team that might be freed up to fill that hole for you? In Carolina's case, can we find a DT from a well-stocked team that was going to be stashed away on a practice squad? Or a veteran that has the skills but has no chance to regain a starting position on their current team?

Short of that, the pre-season is just a tease for the fans and a risk for starting-caliber players.

Archived