• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We're probably squandering the preseason away

frash.exe

...with all these vanilla plays. So basically the offense, as well as defensive players, all they're learning right now is how to get their ass beat. Fox seems more concerned locking as much of the playbook up as he can than actually seeing how his players look when the opposing unit can only guess what they are running.

Keep in mind you can run creative plays in the preseason without "giving too much away". Miami ran the same wildcat plays last Saturday that they did in 2008, but this will give them sort of a feel for the package they're running this year. I'm sure we have a wildcat formation, but our first run will probably be an embarrassing loss for yards because our players have never run it in a game situation this year yet.

if our players come out against Philly looking like they don't know what the hell they're doing don't say I didn't warn you.

I expect to open up the playbook more against the Ravens. If we don't we will surely get our asses handed to us.

Keep in mind tho that on offense our starting receivers haven't played a snap yet. We haven't gotten Stewart into the game either which is a pretty big loss. On defense...we don't have Davis in there and we lost Kemo (who will hopefully be replaced by an able-bodied NT). So...all in all even we are just really banged up right now and getting a real look at the team is going to be difficult.

We haven't had Steve, nor Stewart

1 man is very valuable to our offense, the other is a nice contribution

I doubt we run anything too much without them

well Steve and Stewart are both well versed in the playbook.

Guys like Goodson, Kenny Moore, Jarrett, Barnidge, they could use a bit of what they are going to be dealing with in the regular season. At least two of those guys are going to see significant playing time this year.

practice is practice,

hell in 06 they practiced Gamble's lateral the week before Minnesota and look how that turned out for us...

That is a really horrible argument. I'm pretty sure that Fox told him "don't throw it if you are already on the 30 yd line and surrounded by purple."

Practice is where these guys are learning the playbook. The pre-season games are where coaches watch the players and see how they react to situations and whether they can implement the basics of what they have been taught.

Preseason is simply to develop timing, give the backups experience and fill out the last 10-15 spots. You can tell if Moore is better than Carter for example by running the same plays and checking out who is more athletic. Whether you make a first down is actually incidental to the main purpose. Sure everyone wants to win but not at the cost of losing a game by giving something away in the preseason. This is classic Ron Meeks and John Fox. You can't squander away the preseason when you are doing exactly what you want to do. With our lack of depth on the lines and desire to rest some of the starters we are letting the backups play which is exactly what we need to do. Most of the guys playing in the second half of our games will rarely see the field unless someone gets injured.

We are going to start off the season slow and it wouldn't surprise me if we were 1-2 at the bye. Maybe 0-3. I expect we will get better as we go and will play our best in December when we need to. You heard it here first.

Archived