• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seattle Times: "This is going to be one hellaciously tough matchup against the Carolina Panthers."

gettlemanjack

comments on a Seahawk forum:

-Team That Scares Me Most. Honestly gotta say Carolina. Two great defenses, and our last three games in regular season vs them have been dogfights. If we do play them i would expect mirror images of some of our nfc west division slugfests.

-Week 8 vs the Panthers was as tight as they come. 13-7 and could have broken our season. Also and its pretty hard not to notice, we have looked better on road than at home in recent weeks.

-The Panthers? Who won the division by winning their final 4 games vs Saints, Bucs, Browns and Atlanta??? Those Panthers? I dont think you have much to worry about then.

-they are a team completely built around running the ball and getting turnovers, and Seattle is the worst matchup in the NFL for them.

-This should be a good test for our run defense ... We actually haven't faced that many good RBs this year.

-Their run game is definitely something to contend with. More of an quick, athletic group than the porkers we are suited to abuse. In that respect, they are closer to the Dallas OL...a group that more than held their own against us. They are really blocking well right now, and Stewart is a handful.

-A couple things to think about. The Rams were moving the ball pretty well against the Seahawks in the second half of the most recent game with Shaun Hill in Seattle. The Panthers defense would fit well in the NFC West. I think the Panthers with Newton got a taste of the playoffs last year and will play under much better emotional control this year. They will have a tough task getting past the Cardinals defense but the Cardinals need Lindley to play a little better than he did last week ... I wouldn't say I am scared of any team in the playoffs, but I respect all of them.

-The most impressive thing about the Panthers, which gets lost in the hype over Cam Newton, is that the defense has the ability to shut teams down. They are very similar to Seattle in this way. They get pressure and have shown the ability to shut down the run. ...This is an interesting matchup as we've seen when the Seahawks barely came out of Carolina with a win the past few years.

-I can see being worried about them and that defense.

-The Panthers have a great defense

Last 3 games between the teams have been low scoring slugfests.

Both teams are very hot ending the season.

Both defenses are playing outstanding right now.

Both teams want to run the ball and both are running it well (Stewart leads the NFL in rushing the last 5 games).

Both offenses (especially the passing games) are middle of the road and can be inconsistent at times.

Everything points to a low scoring and close game that is LIKELY to be decided by which team makes mistakes (Seatlle defense has a knack for capitalizing on every mistake) and which team makes a couple of chunk plays.

Could it be a blow out either way?  Anything is possible.  But all logic says do not expect it.

I actually don't disagree with any of that. Let's be friends.

tumblr_lwf8v5Gc6j1qjtndio1_500.gif

No, they actually have four firing synapses in their brains as opposed to the 2 that you guys are sharing.

But if I say:

I am concerned about the Panthers coming into Seattle because Wilson has thrown 5 INT's in his last 6 home games.  I do not think the Hawks can score many points.

Am I no longer sharing brain synapses?

I am not here to tell you what the score is or how bad or good the Panthers are.  Everyone will know the day after tomorrow and all this will just be minutia.  If I could predict the future, I wouldn't be working.

But if I say:

I am concerned about the Panthers coming into Seattle because Wilson has thrown 5 INT's in his last 6 home games.  I do not think the Hawks can score many points.

Am I no longer sharing brain synapses?

I am not here to tell you what the score is or how bad or good the Panthers are.  Everyone will know the day after tomorrow and all this will just be minutia.  If I could predict the future, I wouldn't be working.

Seattle fans keep talking about how unbeatable you are at home.  I merely showed that your offense has NOT be stellar recently at home.  Your defense has carried your team....and there is nothing wrong with that.

comments on a Seahawk forum:

I think the Panthers with Newton got a taste of the playoffs last year and will play under much better emotional control this year. They will have a tough task getting past the Cardinals defense but the Cardinals need Lindley to play a little better than he did last week ... I wouldn't say I am scared of any team in the playoffs, but I respect all of them.

another similar comment:

From an outside observer of last year, it seemed the Panthers were too hyped vs 9ers in the playoffs. They got a lot of emotional penalties in that game last year. This year I noted they were hyped but under much better emotional control.

Other comments from a Seahawk forum:

-I wanted no part of the Panthers and was really hoping Atlanta would win that game. I do not want the Panthers coming here, but it's probably going to happen.

-so if we play Carolina... I know nothing is settled for who we play next week, but I think for all of the people saying that they will have no chance against us, they do have 2 of the things that are more likely to give us trouble, being a power running game with a mobile QB, and a favorite target TE which we seem to have trouble covering. I actually think it will be a great matchup if they do end up coming to town

-I'm more worried about our Oline...I'm sure Wilson will be scrambling for his life

If it is Carolina, a few things that could give us fits:

- their D-line was breaking thru Arizona's line at will

- their run game was good against a good D

- their O-line looked strong giving Cam lots of time.

Our D is going give Cam fits but their D is going to be on Russ lots

-Their defense wil be tough. There won't be a lot of sideline to sideline room in the linebacker depth the way their top 2 guys play. Their pass rush will be good, but LIndley made them look even better today.

-Luke Kuechly is always headache, as is their DL. Russell needs to account for him at all times. Our increased emphasis on getting the ball out quickly could play into Kuechly's hands, as he's so darn smart and quick.

-This was the game that should have happened last year but for the 9ers being too tough an out for the young Panthers. ... A fan would not be worth a plugged nickle if they didn't feel the Panthers could win. Why not? It isn't like players are robots. Hell, if the Seahawks hadn't turned into klutzes in the Chicago game after Beastquake, I had dreams of them beating Green Bay at the CLink to go to the Superbowl with a chance to win it all. Fate didn't see it that way.

-Oh man, I remember that game against the bears - Greg Olson and his 100 yards before half - straight up crushed my dreams. I have some love for Carolina though, I've had respect for their D ever since Julius Peppers played for them (possibly my favorite non-hawk defensive player of this era).

-The hawks are not familiar with their new guys, so there's an element of surprise. They have steadily improved, so nobody should take them lightly.

-I wouldn't sleep on Carolina. I know they are from the NFCS which has been ridiculed all year long, but I think they are coming together as a team. Defenses tend to travel well ... this team is much more dangerous/talented then their record indicates.

-momentum is huge and Arizona is on a downfall and Carolina has GOT to be feeling good. Not to mention I think they want another shot at the Seahawks in a bad way.

-Dungy is already calling for Carolina to upset the Seahawks.

i did not realize how significant this stat is.... pound the fuggin rock this saturday. but dammit shula be creative with it please....

I was about to make pretty much the same comment. If you trust trends this is one to watch. And I'd say Shula did pretty well mixing up the run against AZ. With Seattle's strength in the secondary, they'll certainly be keying on stopping the ground game.

i did not realize how significant this stat is.... pound the fuggin rock this saturday. but dammit shula be creative with it please....

the good news is that after only running for more than 115 yds only once in the first 11 games this season (147 yds in the tie at CIN, and Cam ran for 107 of that), we've run for more than 115 in every one of our last six games: 178, 271, 123, 209, 194, 188

first 11 games we ran for 1,061 and averaged 96.4 rushing ypg (91.4 without game at CIN)

last 6 games we ran for 1,163 and averaged 193.8 rushing ypg

Also, the Panthers D has held their past 8 opponents to 79.0 yards rushing a game after allowing 131.8 rushing ypg in their first 9 games.

the good news is that after only running for more than 115 yds only once in the first 11 games this season (147 yds in the tie at CIN, and Cam ran for 107 of that), we've run for more than 115 in every one of our last six games: 178, 271, 123, 209, 194, 188

first 11 games we ran for 1,061 and averaged 96.4 rushing ypg (91.4 without game at CIN)

last 6 games we ran for 1,163 and averaged 193.8 rushing ypg

Also, the Panthers D has held their past 8 opponents to 79.0 yards rushing a game after allowing 131.8 rushing ypg in their first 9 games.

All valid....but we are facing a better defense than we have during that 6 game run.

That being said, I do expect to run for over 120 yards and to win the game.

All valid....but we are facing a better defense than we have during that 6 game run.

That being said, I do expect to run for over 120 yards and to win the game.

Keep in mind this is SEA's first game without 2 of their 4 DTs. They were down to a 3-man DT rotation when their Pro Bowl caliber 6-1/309 run-stuffing DT Mebane (aka "Bane") went down. The other three:

-age 23 Jordan Hill (6-1/303, 3rd R)

-age 29 McDaniel (6-7/295, undrafted)

-age 34 Kevin Williams (6-5/311, on 1-yr contract for $2.1 million)

performed admirably in his absence, especially Hill, and now he is out

It will be fun kicking them right in the teeth and punching them right in the mouth with Jonathan Stewart running behind 2013 All-Pro FB Mike Tolbert, 2013 All-Pro C Ryan Kalil, and young stud OGs 6-3/310 Turner and 6-6/316 Norwell out of LSU and Ohio State

note since we got Tolbert back from injury we have run for 178, 271, 123, 209, 194, 188 after only running for more than 115 once before that (147 at CIN when Cam ran for 107 of that)

also note that the same game we got Tolbert back was our first game with our newly acquired OT Mike Remmers, and he's been our starter ever since (and like with J Stewart, who is from SEA, Remmers is from Portland, OR and went to Oregon State, so this will be a homecoming to the Pacific NW and the land of the 12s for both)

note OG Turner has started our last 7 games after only starting 3 times in our first 10 games

note that our other OG, Norwell didn't start in our first 7 games, and only played in one of them

Archived