• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seattle Times: "This is going to be one hellaciously tough matchup against the Carolina Panthers."

gettlemanjack

Will you be so welcoming if the game doesn't go as well for you as you now imagine? :lol:

If Seattle wins I am sure you will be back to gloat. Since You came to this board and not the other way around, we will all be here.

Given we are double digit underdogs and no one is picking us to win, the panthers are playing with house money. The pressure is on Seattle not to lose instead of the other way around.

There is no amount of information available to make a determination of how a playoff game will pan out.

Stats and records don't mean anything in a one game season, as a Seahawks fan I know this better than anyone after taking out the Saints in 2010.

I understand the confidence from both sets of fans, both Seattle and Carolina ended the season strong on win streaks, both teams needed every one of those games to get where they needed to be in the playoffs. Seattle fans are confident that the Hawks can win because the team has been very tough to beat for several years now. They have proven time after time that they can win big games, under pressure, regardless of the score.

There appears to be the notion that the fans don't know the Panthers, this may be true of some but there are plenty of Seahawks fans that know you Carolina. We know about the insertion of youthful players and the excitement it brings to see them develop.

For Seahawks fans, it really isn't what we know about Carolina, it is what we know about the Seahawks. It isn't anything personal, the fans have seen this team rise to the occasion when we had doubts. The team has earned our confidence over a long period of time.

Ultimately what we know means zero, it is what the team knows and how they prepare for this game. Seattle fans expect a win on Saturday, but it doesn't come from blind homerism. That said, I totally get why Panther fans have that same confidence. They are in the playoffs, where there are no bad teams.

I expect a well fought game on Saturday, if Carolina were to leave Seattle with a victory it would not be surprising, but they will have certainly earned it if they do. In the end, it won't matter what anyone thinks will happen.

Very good post.

I do have one question for you though......why would the idiot Seattle fans on your forum be predicting 30-35 points being scored by Seattle on Saturday when:

1. Our defense is shutting teams down the past 6 games

2. The Seattle offense is struggling to score at home (3 of last 6 home games garnered 1 off TD and 2 others only had 2)

3. Wilson has 2 TD passes and 5 Int's in his last 6 home games

Seems to me that it is the Seattle offense that may have trouble putting up points this week-end.

If Seattle wins I am sure you will be back to gloat. Since You came to this board and not the other way around, we will all be here.

Given we are double digit underdogs and no one is picking us to win, the panthers are playing with house money. The pressure is on Seattle not to lose instead of the other way around.

I don't do gloat.  I don't eat goat.  I do live on a boat.

I doubt my Hawks will "play not to lose".

This team has been in many playoff games in the last three years.  They know that they will need to bring their A+ game to guarantee a chance at the NFC Championship game on the 18th.

You will get a Seattle team with their foot on the gas for the whole game. 

I don't do gloat. I don't eat goat. I do live on a boat.

I doubt my Hawks will "play not to lose".

This team has been in many playoff games in the last three years. They know that they will need to bring their A+ game to guarantee a chance at the NFC Championship game on the 18th.

You will get a Seattle team with their foot on the gas for the whole game.

I think the pressure is already there. Look at how your offense struggled at home the last few games. If the home atmosphere were so important you would think they would be blowing folks out at home instead of needing late points to win. Every year is a different squad with different chemistry etc so to assume that what happened 2 years ago will impact Saturday could be a big fallacy. No the pressure will be there and it will grow exponentially if we get a decent lead. There is a reason that most Super Bowl teams don't even make the playoffs the following year. And back to back Super Bowls champs are very rare.

Very good post.

I do have one question for you though......why would the idiot Seattle fans on your forum be predicting 30-35 points being scored by Seattle on Saturday when:

2. The Seattle offense is struggling to score at home (3 of last 6 home games garnered 1 off TD and 2 others only had 2)

Seems to me that it is the Seattle offense that may have trouble putting up points this week-end.

Probably a few reasons:

1. Every team and forum has homer fans who overestimate their team or underestimate the opponent. There are folks there who have been very vocally upset with our OC and our offense as a whole because they haven't been replicating the scoring that we had over a 3-game stretch in late 2012 against Arizona, Buffalo, and SF.

2. While Seattle hasn't had huge firepower recently at home, they did just beat the Cards 35-6 with plenty of offensive output. Maybe that game is inspiring confidence that they can put up points when necessary.

3. This is going to be a primetime, national game. Under Carroll's regime and with Wilson at QB, the Seahawks have performed really, really well in these games for the most part, regardless of opponent. Record of 12-1, and 9 of those 12 wins have been by 10+ points. They've scored at least 23 points in 9 of those games, as well. I realize that each game is different, and that past success doesn't guarantee future success, but there's enough of a trend there that it might explain why some Hawks fans think a comfortable, big win is coming.

I do want to ask why you keep harping on the "last 6 home games" thing when you trot Wilson's numbers out there? I mean, you realize that you're going back to mid-October/early November for that stat, right? We could probably start throwing numbers out from Carolina's last 6 road games just to make sure we get data from before your guys turned their season around, too. It just seems like cherrypicking to cast the Seahawks offense in the worst possible light.

Example: One of your points is that your defense is shutting teams down the past 6 games. But if we use your cherrypicking method, we could note that in Carolina's last 6 ROAD games, they have allowed 135 points, which is 22.5 points per game (and yes, I didn't count INT returns or blocked punts or any non-offensive score). Does that accurately and fully reflect how Carolina's been playing recently? Of course not. As you note, in your last 6 games (regardless of venue), the Panthers have been playing well on both sides of the ball.

Seattle's last 6 games (not just HOME games) have gone pretty well for the Seahawks, too. Wilson has thrown 7 TDs and 2 picks, and added another 2 TDs rushing (which you like to ignore when you post how poorly Wilson's been doing). Lynch has scored 5 TDs in the last 6 games (4 rushing, 1 receiving). So those two players combined have provided 13 TDs in 6 games, good for about 13 points of offensive scoring each game. Add to that the 12 FGs (or about 2 per game) that Hauschka has added, and that brings the offensive output recently at close to 20 points per game. Now, obviously, that's not going to put them among the teams considered offensive juggernauts by any stretch of the imagination, but that's plenty of points when the team is allowing less than a TD per game.

Personally, I don't think this game is going to be a blowout. I think the Hawks take it by a 16-10 type of score, and it will probably be a game that is in doubt into the 4th quarter.

Probably a few reasons:

1. Every team and forum has homer fans who overestimate their team or underestimate the opponent. There are folks there who have been very vocally upset with our OC and our offense as a whole because they haven't been replicating the scoring that we had over a 3-game stretch in late 2012 against Arizona, Buffalo, and SF.

2. While Seattle hasn't had huge firepower recently at home, they did just beat the Cards 35-6 with plenty of offensive output. Maybe that game is inspiring confidence that they can put up points when necessary.

3. This is going to be a primetime, national game. Under Carroll's regime and with Wilson at QB, the Seahawks have performed really, really well in these games for the most part, regardless of opponent. Record of 12-1, and 9 of those 12 wins have been by 10+ points. They've scored at least 23 points in 9 of those games, as well. I realize that each game is different, and that past success doesn't guarantee future success, but there's enough of a trend there that it might explain why some Hawks fans think a comfortable, big win is coming.

I do want to ask why you keep harping on the "last 6 home games" thing when you trot Wilson's numbers out there? I mean, you realize that you're going back to mid-October/early November for that stat, right? We could probably start throwing numbers out from Carolina's last 6 road games just to make sure we get data from before your guys turned their season around, too. It just seems like cherrypicking to cast the Seahawks offense in the worst possible light.

Example: One of your points is that your defense is shutting teams down the past 6 games. But if we use your cherrypicking method, we could note that in Carolina's last 6 ROAD games, they have allowed 135 points, which is 22.5 points per game (and yes, I didn't count INT returns or blocked punts or any non-offensive score). Does that accurately and fully reflect how Carolina's been playing recently? Of course not. As you note, in your last 6 games (regardless of venue), the Panthers have been playing well on both sides of the ball.

Seattle's last 6 games (not just HOME games) have gone pretty well for the Seahawks, too. Wilson has thrown 7 TDs and 2 picks, and added another 2 TDs rushing (which you like to ignore when you post how poorly Wilson's been doing). Lynch has scored 5 TDs in the last 6 games (4 rushing, 1 receiving). So those two players combined have provided 13 TDs in 6 games, good for about 13 points of offensive scoring each game. Add to that the 12 FGs (or about 2 per game) that Hauschka has added, and that brings the offensive output recently at close to 20 points per game. Now, obviously, that's not going to put them among the teams considered offensive juggernauts by any stretch of the imagination, but that's plenty of points when the team is allowing less than a TD per game.

Personally, I don't think this game is going to be a blowout. I think the Hawks take it by a 16-10 type of score, and it will probably be a game that is in doubt into the 4th quarter.

Good point that Seattles success gives some fans perhaps too much confidence but using the past 6 games in general borrows too much from one game in Arizona where you scored 35 points against a team that was putting out a third string quarterback with virtually no experience. At least against us he has some game experience behind him although he still looked bad, At home where you are going to play the offense has struggled during this 6 game streak. Meanwhile during our 5 game streak we have played 2 dome teams in loud stadiums and blew them out. Teams with suspect defenses for sure but teams with much better offenses than Seattle. As I have postulated I don't think Wilson or your offense is the key as he tends to be consistent most weeks. It will be our offense's ability to score that will make the difference. Cam is the key. If he continues to struggle and press against Seattle we will lose. But if he can rise to the occasion and play to his ability, Seattle will have their hands full for sure.

Good point that Seattles success gives some fans perhaps too much confidence but using the past 6 games in general borrows too much from one game in Arizona where you scored 35 points against a team that was putting out a third string quarterback with virtually no experience. At least against us he has some game experience behind him although he still looked bad, At home where you are going to play the offense has struggled during this 6 game streak. Meanwhile during our 5 game streak we have played 2 dome teams in loud stadiums and blew them out. Teams with suspect defenses for sure but teams with much better offenses than Seattle. As I have postulated I don't think Wilson or your offense is the key as he tends to be consistent most weeks. It will be our offense's ability to score that will make the difference. Cam is the key. If he continues to struggle and press against Seattle we will lose. But if he can rise to the occasion and play to his ability, Seattle will have their hands full for sure.

Honestly, here's the thing about Wilson and our offense. I never expect them to blow a team out or put up huge numbers. It just isn't the style of ball we play. Carroll preaches the run game and avoiding turnovers, and that leads to a relatively conservative offense that protects the ball and uses play-action to take a few big shots each game. Not exactly a formula that tends toward blowouts. And with the defense we have, it's the exact right formula to use. It controls the clock, gives the defense plenty of rest so they can continue to play at a high level, and values field position over attempting to put up 30+.

And while the overall output hasn't been great, the one thing that has been a revelation to us Hawks fans is that every game is within reach. Every game. Due to the style of ball we play, we're in every single game - usually into the 4th quarter. And the 4th quarter is where Wilson and Lynch together shine. The opposing D gets worn down and easier to exploit, and the Seahawks offense takes advantage of it. We've seen it happen so many times - including against your Panthers - that we've come to expect it. 

Honestly, here's the thing about Wilson and our offense. I never expect them to blow a team out or put up huge numbers. It just isn't the style of ball we play. Carroll preaches the run game and avoiding turnovers, and that leads to a relatively conservative offense that protects the ball and uses play-action to take a few big shots each game. Not exactly a formula that tends toward blowouts. And with the defense we have, it's the exact right formula to use. It controls the clock, gives the defense plenty of rest so they can continue to play at a high level, and values field position over attempting to put up 30+.

And while the overall output hasn't been great, the one thing that has been a revelation to us Hawks fans is that every game is within reach. Every game. Due to the style of ball we play, we're in every single game - usually into the 4th quarter. And the 4th quarter is where Wilson and Lynch together shine. The opposing D gets worn down and easier to exploit, and the Seahawks offense takes advantage of it. We've seen it happen so many times - including against your Panthers - that we've come to expect it.

I totally understand. We play the exact type of ball. We run a lot, control the clock and typically our defense holds the other team in check. The biggest reason we were getting blown out is that our defense was not good early on and we are not built to put up tons of points. Once we were able to get guys to make up for the loss of Hardy and we revamped the secondary and we found guys who could run and pass block the season turned around. I,would not put too much stock in the first game this year as a barometer. We were not very good on defense when we played you and Cam was still recovering from ankle surgery which caused him to miss all of training camp and every thing up to week 2. We didn't turn him loose with the rib injuries until after the Seahawks game.

Why so much about Cam? Unlike Wilson our offense is almost totally predicated around Newton. Most times when he struggles so do we. He has been playing better as of late although he struggled against Arizona somewhat.. The first half will tell the tale for us. If Newton comes out relaxed and on you guys are in for the battle of your lives. If he comes out inaccurate and throwing turnovers we could be in for a long day. We honestly never know which Cam will show up.

Probably a few reasons:

So basically your reasoning is "we just think we will".

Got it...that is all you needed to say...we just think we will.

Very good post.

What makes them idiots?  That they believe the Hawks are going to score 30 points? 

Are you saying they won't?  Why?  Because Seahawks fans have seen it before and in front of tougher defenses than Carolina. There are also a lot of fans that think it will be a tough game.

Who cares how many TD's/INT's Wilson has in his last 5 home games?  With him, that is the most meaningless stat possible.  Why does it matter what the Seahawks fans think?   If they are wrong, enjoy their mistake. 

Stats and trends can be analyzed in 20 different ways to present a desired result.  You cherry picked Wilson's TD/INT stats over the last 5 home games, not even just the last 5 games.   Since the Hawks last 5 games have been mostly road games, 5 home games goes back to like week 9.  5 INT's in his last 6 home games, but didn't mention that the Seahawks won all of those games and by an average of 15 ppg against top defenses.   You see where I am going with this?

The Hawks could very well slap the bejesus out of Carolina and no one would be surprised, you're a football fan right?  You just watched them hang 35 on the Cards in AZ and 600 yards of offense.  Holding them to 6 points.  The thing is, no one would be that surprised if the game was closer either.

It is just guessing by fans, it isn't meant to be some act of disrespect.

What makes them idiots?  That they believe the Hawks are going to score 30 points? 

Are you saying they won't?  Why?  Because Seahawks fans have seen it before and in front of tougher defenses than Carolina. There are also a lot of fans that think it will be a tough game.

Who cares how many TD's/INT's Wilson has in his last 5 home games?  With him, that is the most meaningless stat possible.  Why does it matter what the Seahawks fans think?   If they are wrong, enjoy their mistake. 

Stats and trends can be analyzed in 20 different ways to present a desired result.  You cherry picked Wilson's TD/INT stats over the last 5 home games, not even just the last 5 games.   Since the Hawks last 5 games have been mostly road games, 5 home games goes back to like week 9.  5 INT's in his last 6 home games, but didn't mention that the Seahawks won all of those games and by an average of 15 ppg against top defenses.   You see where I am going with this?

The Hawks could very well slap the bejesus out of Carolina and no one would be surprised, you're a football fan right?  You just watched them hang 35 on the Cards in AZ and 600 yards of offense.  Holding them to 6 points.  The thing is, no one would be that surprised if the game was closer either.

It is just guessing by fans, it isn't meant to be some act of disrespect.

Every bit of evidence, trending, stats, etc says that neither team will come close to 30 points.

We completely shut down (I mean completely shut down) the 1st and 8th ranked offenses in the league in the past 4 games. 

So, predicting 30-40 points DOES make someone look like an idiot.

And, the only reason that the Cards even ran a play on the panthers side of the field was because of mistakes we made.  Your defense gave up more than double the yards to the Cards than we did.  We allowed 12 yards and zero points in the second half.

Not to mention that you almost lost to the damn Raiders....the damn Raiders for christ sake.

Bottom line: If we win TOP, total yards, and Stewart manages to run for over 100, we will win. That's how we win games and that is how Seattle loses games. I say this because if we have turnovers and fall into a hole Stewart won't go for 100, and we more than likely will be pressing offensively resulting in shorter drives thus less TOP.

What people fail to realize is that we were half a game from being .500 in the regular season and lost to ATL on some poo play calling by Rivera (admittedly so). The Giants struck gold at the end of their Super Bowl run to squeak in at 8-8 and they won the Super Bowl. The fact everyone acts like we made it in at 6-10 really bugs the poo out of me specifically for that reason. I personally believe we are playing near the point we were around the New England and San Francisco weeks last season and that bodes well for us.

Another prediction: 17-13, and I have no idea who wins.

Archived