• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For Those Who Want To Cut The Cable Cord....

chknwing

Dish will be launching a broadband live tv service at the end of this month called Sling TV.  Basically you choose a focused content package of about 20-35 channels for $20 a month.  You access these channels directly from your broadband.  There are no contracts. No credit checks.  And you can cancel at any time.  You will be able to access it via pc, laptop, video game consoles, phones, tablets, smart tvs etc.

sling-tv-logo.jpg

11478-4376-Sling_Guide0-l.jpg

This timing could not have been better. I was actually going to call TWC today to cancel, while also mulling over my options to see live sports for the foreseeable future. Mull no longer! Suck it, cable.

e: I also expect TWC to thoroughly hose me when it comes to my high speed internet bill now.

This timing could not have been better. I was actually going to call TWC today to cancel, while also mulling over my options to see live sports for the foreseeable future. Mull no longer! Suck it, cable.

e: I also expect TWC to thoroughly hose me when it comes to my high speed internet bill now.

I can also see TWC dialing down the speed of broadband for people who only have internet.

We got a Netflix card for Xmas and signed up for the first time. It'll last about 4-5 months because the first month is free. I'm new to it but enjoying it so far (I'm watching Lost from the beginning because I didn't when it was out.)

We've been mulling cutting the cable again too. We just inventoried everything we watch, record, and what channels it comes on. I'll be looking at keeping Netflix, getting Hulu Plus, getting an over-the-air digital antenna, and dumping everything TV that we have with TWC. I'll stick with their internet because it is the best option available to us, and upgrade it. We've been having the lowest tier which suits us okay @ 6MBps max (usally only pull about 2.something), but with 10 or more MBps I think we'll be able to virtually stream/download anything Netflix, Hulu, or Antenna doesn't cover.

Right now we pay like $135 a month for 2 DVRs, TV and internet, and that is because I own my own modem and have to call every 6 months to get on another promotion. With the Netflix/Hulu/Antenna/TWC internet I think I can get out with paying around $80 a month max...

I'll look into this Sling thing and see what else it might save me... Thanks for the head's up!

Archived