• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers an Offensive-Powered team

thunderraiden

And don't make me sound like an idiot, I am very much aware of one of the most basic stats in football. But are you aware of utalizing your best assets? Surely we must use our championship defense to win it all this season... Oh wait... Yea.. now, Im not saying we dont have a great pass rush or one of the best Linebacking Corps in all of football, but do we have a championship secondary? or a run stopping NT?

I see niether of those. The defense has about 4 question marks while our offense has 2, our O-Line DEPTH and our QB. Like I said, i'm not a Jake hater, but if anyone thinks they have even the slightest idea how he is going to look this season... well they are out of their damn minds.

I may be out of my mind, but I think Jake will look a little more consistent than last year. Last year was his first full year in Davidson's system, and it was also a year coming off surgery. He should be more consistent physically, and I suspect Davidson will call more plays that will put him in a position to be successful.

With that said, Jake could be better AND more consistent and still look worse in spots than he did last year. We'll be facing some fairly good defenses this year, and it won't let up. Of the 13 teams we play next year, five were top ten and seven were in the upper half of the league against the pass. Last year the Chargers, Bears, Chiefs, Lions, Broncos, and Saints were in the bottom ten and Atlanta and Minnesota joined them in the bottom half. So it's going to be harder to throw the ball this year.

Still, if Jake can be more consistent and if Stewart gets healthy we should be pretty hard to stop on offense. And that's going to be fun to watch. :)

How long did it take Manning to win a ring?

When was the last time brees or rivers led their team to the Super Bowl?

Warner had a good year with the Cards, let's see how they do without one of the easiest schedules in the league.

Crap like this makes me chuckle.

This....

I just don't know who keeps throwing touchdown passes to Steve Smith, but it apparently can't be Jake Delhomme. You see, smart people keep saying that he sucks and doesn't deserve to be a QB.

You see, they knew, just knew that David Carr was the answer. He was a superstar, better than Jake could ever be, he just happened to have been stuck in Houston for all those years. They were also the ones who called for Weinke. They've called for Moore to get a chance. Let's see: Weinke was so bad that we started the Wildcat craze just to get him off the field. Moore won a couple of desperation games but showed just a wee bit of promise and Carr, well, he just took the snap, screamed "MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!" and took more sacks.

Now Jake, he just takes the field and plays to win. He motivates his team, he utilizes the weapons the team has and directs the glory of a win to the team around him. And when the team loses, he mans up first and takes the blame, whether he deserves it or not. The knock on him is that he tries to hard to make things happen and it is hard to shake that. But dang, more often than not, he DOES make things happen to win games.

I'd rather have someone who gets fired up and forces the issue when his team is behind than someone who shrugs at the beginning of the fourth quarter and goes ahead to chalk up the loss. You know, like Carr, Weinke, Peete, Collins, etc...

Denver, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Houston, Buffalo, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago, NY Jets, Cleveland, Baltimore, San Francisco, Kansas City, Washington, Miami. How many of those teams would have rather had Jake than the quarterbacks they've featured over the past five years?

I would like to see one viable alternative presented by someone who thinks Jake can't do it. Just once, that's all. Name the player we were in a position to get who would have both made sense at the time and been an improvement on Jake. And please remember to remind us of the sacrifice we would have made (for instance, we could have gotten Brady Quinn, but then would have missed out on Jon Beason and Ryan Kalil).

Seriously, inform us. One name, that's all I ask. One name or just keep your thoughts to yourself, ok?

And don't make me sound like an idiot, I am very much aware of one of the most basic stats in football. But are you aware of utalizing your best assets? Surely we must use our championship defense to win it all this season... Oh wait... Yea.. now, Im not saying we dont have a great pass rush or one of the best Linebacking Corps in all of football, but do we have a championship secondary? or a run stopping NT?

I see niether of those. The defense has about 4 question marks while our offense has 2, our O-Line DEPTH and our QB. Like I said, i'm not a Jake hater, but if anyone thinks they have even the slightest idea how he is going to look this season... well they are out of their damn minds.

I get what you are saying. Have a crappy D? Build a scary O. Unfortunately that combo usually either doesn't make the playoffs or is one and done in the playoffs. Jake having a craptacular game made that the focus but if anyone thinks that defense was SB capable last year, I'd love to have what they were smoking. I would rather they work on the D than pimp the O to try to be like the Colts or Saints, even if it means taking a step back this year. That is the biggest key to being competitive, great defense.

On other note has anyone been watching Jake to see how he is taking to the training Scherer is throwing at him. Maybe it is just me but I have been impressed with his ability to move in the pocket and keep looking downfield to find receivers. Seems the drills may be paying off. I have been encouraged that we have had 2 pressure defenses and will see 2 more in the next 2 weeks. Up to now the Oline has been good and Jake has not throw a pick to date. Lets see how we do against Baltimore as compared to what happened to the jets last night. But for me I don't think Jake will be that big of a question mark. And the Oline I think will come around. I am still unsure of the defense yet.

His movement and pocket awareness have looked good. Accuracy wasn't there against New York, but Miami showed he still has his game.

I wonder how much that is him and how much is get used to his 3rd and 4th receivers who are now playing with the 1s. Seems the extra practice has paid off for everyone.

I would like to see one viable alternative presented by someone who thinks Jake can't do it. Just once, that's all. Name the player we were in a position to get who would have both made sense at the time and been an improvement on Jake. And please remember to remind us of the sacrifice we would have made (for instance, we could have gotten Brady Quinn, but then would have missed out on Jon Beason and Ryan Kalil).

Seriously, inform us. One name, that's all I ask. One name or just keep your thoughts to yourself, ok?

I understand you point and I agree with you on everything. However, the Panthers did pass on a good QB back in the 2004 draft. In the 2nd round they drafted Keary Colbert :( and then before their next pick in the 3rd round the Falcons drafted Matt Schaub. However, aside from this one time I agree with you that there wasn't an opportunity that I would go back and pick a QB.

I understand you point and I agree with you on everything. However, the Panthers did pass on a good QB back in the 2004 draft. In the 2nd round they drafted Keary Colbert :( and then before their next pick in the 3rd round the Falcons drafted Matt Schaub. However, aside from this one time I agree with you that there wasn't an opportunity that I would go back and pick a QB.

All I can say to that is we had Jake and Weinke and felt really good about them. After all, look at what they had just accomplished.

On the other hand, both Proehl and Moose were getting older and we didn't have anyone behind them.

All I can say to that is we had Jake and Weinke and felt really good about them. After all, look at what they had just accomplished.

On the other hand, both Proehl and Moose were getting older and we didn't have anyone behind them.

Oh, I agree. It wasn't like it was a boneheaded move or that it was a "clear example of Fox being too loyal to Delhomme." At that time Colbert seemed like a great pick and I don't remember anyone screaming about the Panthers passing up Schaub. Of course it would have been a better pick but even after the 04 season Colbert looked like a good player. Hindsight is 20/20 and unlike the Brady Quinn thing no one at the time was screaming for the Panthers to draft Schaub after the year Delhomme just had.

On other note has anyone been watching Jake to see how he is taking to the training Scherer is throwing at him.

I've noticed he's been stepping into his throws better, he needs to keep working on that. When Jake throws off of his front foot he's fairly accurate and zippy with the ball. Bad things tend to happen when he floats the ball off his back foot.

Other than that it's hard to say, without Smith or Moose in the line up, at least Rizzo is getting more looks, but other than that there hasn't been much to see.

Archived