• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philip Rivers gets his big contract

scpanther22

Just ten days after Eli Manning finally signed his contract extension, another quarterback from the class of 2004 just got a whole lot richer.

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports that the Chargers and Philip Rivers have agreed to terms on a six-year, $92 million contract, with $38-39 million guaranteed

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/24/philip-rivers-gets-his-big-contract/

who's next ... Merriman? McNeill? Jackson?

Now would be the time to sign either Merriman or Jackson, but not McNeill...IMO.

Merriman and Jackson could come a little cheaper because of knee and DUI problems around them.

McNeill needs to play another season, healthy, and see where he stands. He has not looked as good as his rookie season yet. I would like to see him play at a high level before commiting tons of money to him.

My best guess is an extension to Gates.

Figured Sexton was just waiting for Manning to get his done then he would go forward with Rivers' so Rivers got a bit more guaranteed as I think it should be.

Fuzz do you think that highly of Merriman? I would probably let him walk and I would resign Jackson provided his DUI days are over. Doesn't English play Merriman's WOLB position or is he strongside?

Figured Sexton was just waiting for Manning to get his done then he would go forward with Rivers' so Rivers got a bit more guaranteed as I think it should be.

Fuzz do you think that highly of Merriman? I would probably let him walk and I would resign Jackson provided his DUI days are over. Doesn't English play Merriman's WOLB position or is he strongside?

I love Jackson, and would love to resign him now, with the DUI hanging over his head, to keep the price down.

They are actually shifting up that D a little, they want to have English, Merriman, and S Phillips on the field much of the time. Personally if I was running the team, I would sign Jackson to a long term deal, extend Gates, and leave McNeill and Merriman alone for another season, to make sure that they are healthy.

If the CBA does not pass Merriman will be with the team another two years, and then there is the F tag. By then he will have been in the league 8 years, and you can re evaluate then. Gotta love what he brings on the field, and as much as we hear about him on TV and such, he has not had an off field problem since the roids deal a couple of years ago. Almost can't argue with his almost equal number of games played, and sacks....

Archived