• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My last and final thought on the pre season...

adallastiger

The big question then, is how often does a team that's oh-fer in the preseason make up for it in regulation play. And the answer is: not often.

There were no 0-4 teams in preseason to make it to the conference championships or the Super Bowl in the past five years. BUT, if your team finds itself in that corner, you need not lose heart.

In 2000, the New York Giants went 0-4 (CHI 20 @ NYG 8, NYG 13 @ JAC 16, NYG 24 @ NYJ 27, BAL 24 @ NYG 17) in preseason, losing their fourth preseason game on Friday, Aug. 25 to the Baltimore Ravens.

They would meet the Ravens again on Jan. 28 in the Super Bowl as the NFC Champions, but they would lose again to them, 34-7.

Any of you who think that pre season is not an indication of the regular season, TO A DEGREE, are just nuts. Remember last year, before the season, I said to all of you that DeAngelo Williams was the best running back in the league? And 98 out of 100 of you said I was crazy? Well, now that you understand how right (or at the very least, at least being close to right) I was just know the following:

Look at the above stat. THESE AREN'T MEANINGLESS GAMES. THEY DON'T MEAN A LOT, BUT THEY AREN'T MEANINGLESS. Can the Panthers go 0-4 in the pre season, and win the super bowl? Yes, but don't bet on it.

NO TEAM TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE HAS EVER GONE 0-4 IN PRE SEASON AND WON A SUPER BOWL. In one way or the other, stats seem to say that if you can't win a pre season game, you aren't very good. Of course, you can distort stats the other way and go 4-0 by playing your best players against scrubs, and that will backfire also. Lions last year, blah, blah, blah.

If you think that the Panthers, going on history, can lose the next two games...and get to the Super Bowl...well, all I am saying is the odds are not good. These ARE NOT MEANINGLESS GAMES, AND SHOULD NOT BE TREATED LIKE THAT BY PLAYERS. IF EVERYONE WAS PLAYING AS HARD IN THESE GAMES AS U KNOW WHO...PANTHERS WOULD BE MUCH BETTER OFF..

Just sayin....

Lions were 4-0 in preseason last year.

Jus sayin'

EDIT: Guess I should add more

It's also a nice thing to mention that preseason games are not really an impact on the regualr season, but you fail to see that.

Both Smith and Moose were out in the last game. Smith is out the rest of the preseason as well.

Our offense did good with out our pass game really active. And most of our defense did pretty good as well.

Folloing your logic of "PRESEASON MAKES OR BREAK THE REGULAR SEASON" The 2000 Giants Should've been horrible, and the Lions should've been Super Bowl Champs last year.

To be honest, at this point, I am not concerned with them getting to the SB...I just want them to be good. I want to watch them every Sunday and know they have a shot at winning and I want to believe that come the end of the season, there is still a chance they will be in the playoffs. SB would be nice but I would be more than happy with a competitive game EVERY Sunday.

So if they don't win any pre-season games, I'm not gonna freak out.

Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back there Dallastiger. BTW.....why would anyone have a screen name w/ dallas in it on a Panthers board?
he's from dallas i think and he's a memphis tiger/dwill fan. not to be confused with a panthers fan.

Archived