• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting thing I heard on Chicago sports radio

Pazhoosier89

The dude is pushing 60 and has been passed over for GM before, and you guys think he would feel like he had the leverage to say "No, not this coach"?

I think that he's making enough of a case for himself that if the interview took place today he could get away with it, but Rivera's winning so there's not much of a chance at change. 

I also think the story has a ring of truth to it.  The GM assembles the roster and hires the coaching staff, and he's judged by how successful the team is.  It's only natural for any GM to want someone he trusts as the coach, which is not to say Rivera couldn't be trusted.  But from Gettleman's perspective, Rivera had two years to win and hadn't done it yet, so there was cause to be alarmed.  I'm sure now that Gettleman knows exactly how much he trusts Rivera to coach up the team he assembles.

Anyway, it is what it is.  Hope we beat the Cards tomorrow!

I've pushed 60 out of the way.  I hope you don't think bad of me for being over 60.  Ha!

Gettleman was non committal on Cam Newton 16 months ago. Gettleman sent the franchises most popular player packing 10 months ago. What makes you think he was happy to be working with a Head Coach that got the last GM fired? Rivera was 13-19.

I am skeptical but It would not surprise me at all if that was the case. There are only 32 GM jobs in the NFL and they don't come available often. The ones that do are train wrecks. You can narrow it further when you consider he was interviewed unsuccessfully several times. Ernie Acorsi was his buddy as well. Dave felt like this was his last shot so he took it.

Yeah didnt have to, but he kinda had his back towards the wall with that one..

I mean, if a coach went 12-4 and was allowed to walk.. that would look terrible.

He had this year on his contract. Gettleman could've done nothing, seen how this year played out, and then made a decision on Rivera.

I'm sure Gettleman would have preferred to make his own choice for HC.  With that said, I think Rivera is exactly the kind of coach that Gettleman would have brought in.  So although it may not have been ideal to have his HC already in place, I don't think he was at all upset that he was stuck with Rivera.  I think they truly do have a like mindedness toward running and managing an NFL team...and they genuinely seem to get along and work well together.

He had this year on his contract. Gettleman could've done nothing, seen how this year played out, and then made a decision on Rivera.

True.. mistake or not, were division champs again one way or another. Maybe Ron can be good with actuall talent that can be brought in with our low cap next season

Archived