• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting thing I heard on Chicago sports radio

Pazhoosier89

Let me put it another way, if it frustrated him to the point where he would jump at the next offer and bail on Carolina he should have said "No thanks"

I don't really buy it.

No I don't think that's what he's saying.

However, Gettleman, maybe felt he wouldn't get another chance at a GM job when offered the Panthers, thus accepted it.

I buy it.

Gettlemen gets his dream job....and sees he is forced to have Ron. Ron in 2011-2012 did painfully obvious Ron things.

So yeah, DG should of wanted to make his own hire. Have his career totally up to his own decisions.

Makes sense

Now he knows Ron and Ron has improved. His present day take is gonna be different than his outsider looking in take

I suspect it was true at the time but as he worked with Rivera he has learned to trust him which is why he got an extension after 2013. He knows that he is as responsible for our early struggles as anyone else and that Rivera saved his bacon as well as his own. Now regardless of the record they have a chance to advance in the playoffs which is what the regular season is played for-determining playoff contestants. We have as good a shot of advancing tomorrow than we did last year maybe better. We will shortly see.

I'm sure Gettleman wanted to choose his own coach. Most GMs do. Doesn't mean he couldn't have learned to work with the one he has and you can see that they have a good working relationship and respect for each other. They don't need to be best friends; in fact, it's probably better that they aren't, as that can prevent two people from pushing each other when necessary.

Why would he give him an extension then?

Why is 12-4 so hard for people to understand?

Most OF US didn't want Ron around for year 3, why would the brand new GM?? You go 12-4 though in your first year AND do so using fill in players... All of a sudden the 2 parties (Ron and Gman) are going to be much more ok with one another. Besides, if JR wasn't willing to let Ron go after the previous 2 years, do you think he was going to let a 12-4 COTY just walk away? Stop trying to pretend everything has to be rosy for people to work together successfully. Hell Steinbrenner and Martin couldn't decide whether they hated each other or loved each other, but damn if they didn't make for some fantastic baseball and a better sideshow.

Yeah didnt have to, but he kinda had his back towards the wall with that one..

I mean, if a coach went 12-4 and was allowed to walk.. that would look terrible.

nope, no GM has his back against the wall.

JR is letting Gettleman run all this show. Accept it or don't, I don't care.

it's one of those times you'd really like clarification on what it really means. 

Was it "Gettleman would've preferred to get rid of Rivera based on merit", or simply "any GM would prefer to have his guy in there"? 

Two tremendously different things. 

Archived