• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting thing I heard on Chicago sports radio

Pazhoosier89

I was listening to the local Chicago sports radio the other day and they were talking about their GM search and the topic came to Gettleman because of the Bears using Acorsi as a consultant like we did. Hub Arkush,who was who they were talking to, said that Gettleman was very frustrated that he had to keep Rivera when he was hired but decided to take the job and work with him despite that. Hub also went on to say he thought Gettleman was doing a good job here.

Hub is a very well sourced NFL guy so I dont doubt what he is saying.

If he was frustrated he could have said "No thanks!" When offered that job.

If he is frustrated about it, then he should only blame himself. I personally am not buying it

More likely that he took the job and simply dealt with what he had to work with because at his age he didn't want possibly his last shot at a GM gig to pass him by.

The dude is pushing 60 and has been passed over for GM before, and you guys think he would feel like he had the leverage to say "No, not this coach"?

I think that he's making enough of a case for himself that if the interview took place today he could get away with it, but Rivera's winning so there's not much of a chance at change. 

I also think the story has a ring of truth to it.  The GM assembles the roster and hires the coaching staff, and he's judged by how successful the team is.  It's only natural for any GM to want someone he trusts as the coach, which is not to say Rivera couldn't be trusted.  But from Gettleman's perspective, Rivera had two years to win and hadn't done it yet, so there was cause to be alarmed.  I'm sure now that Gettleman knows exactly how much he trusts Rivera to coach up the team he assembles.

Anyway, it is what it is.  Hope we beat the Cards tomorrow!

More likely that he took the job and simply dealt with what he had to work with because at his age he didn't want possibly his last shot at a GM gig to pass him by.

If you wanted a top position in a billion dollar industry but you had to deal with a little adversity, I would jump on it. He probably wanted his own coach but dealt with JR staying loyal to RR.

Whether or not there's truth to the story, who knows? I'm not sure that I believe that GMan doesn't have control of most decisions even coaching staff. I get that JR doesn't pay coaches not to coach, but he paid the franchise's best player this year not to play for his team. JR had to sign off on that or say that GMan has ultimate say regarding personnel.

IMO, although GMan didn't hire RR, I believe RR is GMan's guy. RR wants to play ball the same way GMan believes in building a team. And despite the record they find themselves with a successful playoff appearance again. The young guys are contributing because GMan is finding them and RR and Staff are developing them to get on the field. I get the idea of a GM wanting to pick his guy but maybe our GM lucked out and had his guy here waiting.

All we can do is speculate. Let's just enjoy the ride. Hell, we've had more fun in the last 4 years than we would have imagined.

I don't buy it.

Gettleman and Rivera have a very good working relationship.

Gettleman didn't have to take the job, and he most certainly didn't have to extend Rivera's contract after last season.

Yeah didnt have to, but he kinda had his back towards the wall with that one..

I mean, if a coach went 12-4 and was allowed to walk.. that would look terrible.

Archived