• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A new start for Panthers' Barnidge

Rod Butsecks

(By DAVID SCOTT, [email protected]) p/Gary Barnidge hasn't actually emerged from nowhere to become the Carolina Panthers' starting tight end./pp/But there might have been more than a little symbolism earlier this week at the Panthers' training camp in Spartanburg:/pp/As most of his teammates trudged to the locker room after a night practice, Barnidge stayed behind with rookie Andrew Davie, running wind sprints on an unlit practice field./pp/Back and forth they went across the darkened field, finally stopping and taking off their shoulder pads in exhaustion./pp/When the Panthers drafted Barnidge in the fifth round of the 2008 draft, they hoped his skills as a good-hands tight end would soon give the team another dimension to their Steve Smith-first passing game./pp/And with Barnidge taking most of the first-team snaps in preseason practice ahead of incumbent Jeff King, it looks like Barnidge's time has arrived ndash; but maybe not to him./pp/ldquo;I really don't see at it that way,rdquo; said Barnidge, who will probably start tonight against the Miami Dolphins' in the Panthers' second exhibition. ldquo;I don't look at where I am on the depth chart. It's still preseason and everybody's working hard. None of that is final.rdquo;/pp/King has been the starter the past two seasons. He's a solid blocker and a possession receiver who caught 67 passes during that time. But he's not a threat to stretch the defense to give the Panthers a down-field option to Smith or Muhsin Muhammad./pp/That's something Barnidge could provide the Panthers ndash; for the first time since Wesley Walls left in 2002./pp/Walls is third on the team's all-time receptions (324) and receiving yards (3,902) lists, as well as second (44) on the touchdown-catch list./pp/ldquo;(Barnidge) obviously has some skills, receiving-wise,rdquo; coach John Fox said. ldquo;His blocking has improved and his comfort level in our system has improved./pp/ldquo;It's not so much that we're changing what we're doing. Jeff King is a good player and he still fits into what we do. But what Gary has done is be more of a pass threat for us.rdquo;/pp/Barnidge didn't play much as a rookie in 2008, not catching a pass and spending most of his time on special teams. He spent much of the offseason getting bigger and stronger, as well as working on the blocking skills that still need improving. He gained five pounds on his 6-foot-5 frame (to 247) and said he didn't lose any speed while doing so./pp/Barnidge still has the small-town politeness that he brought with him from his home in Middleburg, Fla. He still introduces himself to reporters ndash; ldquo;Hi, I'm Gary Barnidgerdquo; ndash; who have covered him for two years. With his rookie season behind him, Barnidge is at least no longer calling them ldquo;sirrdquo; when responding to questions./pp/When he left Middleburg High for Louisville, he quickly made an impact with the Cardinals, with five of his first nine receptions going for touchdowns. He ended his career with 108 catches for 1,491 yards, 17 touchdowns and All-Big East recognition as a senior./pp/ ldquo;I've been able to see him progress,rdquo; said Panthers rookie quarterback Hunter Caldwell, another former Louisville player who threw a touchdown pass to Barnidge in the 2006 Gator Bowl against Virginia Tech. ldquo;He's going to be tough to catch for those linebackers (in the passing game) and even (blocking) those D-ends rushing, Gary's got you covered both ways.rdquo;/pp/Barnidge knows that working on his blocking skills is a key to his future./pp//pp/ldquo;I don't really want to be characterized as one thing,rdquo; he said. ldquo;I want to be known as doing both well ndash; blocking and catching. But I've been working on the small things ndash; technique, separation on routes. It's all key to me.rdquo;/p

More...

“I've been able to see him progress,” said Panthers rookie quarterback Hunter Caldwell, another former Louisville player who threw a touchdown pass to Barnidge in the 2006 Gator Bowl against Virginia Tech. “He's going to be tough to catch for those linebackers (in the passing game) and even (blocking) those D-ends rushing, Gary's got you covered both ways.”

:rolleyes:

Archived