• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Other than the glaring lack of talent at DT..

Kurb

Kurb, really. Don't you understand that it's not just the team that's in preseason form, it's the Boards? There are a lot of posters here who haven't really gotten the right blend of histrionics and pessimism yet.

Give them time, they'll hit their stride soon enough.

i've been calling godfrey out a little this year as well. he has the potential to be great, imo. it's just that tackling problem he has.

i'm not sure what his deal is but he is pretty much the poster child for what is wrong with the secondary.

...what else is supposed to upset me from a preseason game ?

Offense looked like an offense running through preseason snaps.

Defense showed improvement from last week.

Captain showed some things.

Goodson as well.

What Meh Worry ?

I agree with you Kurb but IMO you are really understating the problem at DT. When it is that bad, and it is, it effects all other parts of the defense. And Beason getting hurt now is probably just the begining if the DT isn't addressed.

You can not look at preseason games the same way you look at a regular season game. Starters play at half speed, coaches don't gameplan ect. But if you do what everyone says you are suppose to do, evaluate the personel, it's easy to see IMO that DT isn't just an issue that is going to be schemed over or have a backup come in and wow people.

Even if the Panthers go into the season with the players they have now at DT this team is still going to be competetive because of the talent on the team. But just like last season, don't be surprised either when we see repeats performences like the one we saw in the second half of the Giants game last year.

i've been calling godfrey out a little this year as well. he has the potential to be great, imo. it's just that tackling problem he has.

i'm not sure what his deal is but he is pretty much the poster child for what is wrong with the secondary.

well maybe after his fixes his tackling problem he can then address his inability to get his coverage assignments correct......if DeShaun Foster played defense and was a saftey, I think I know what it would look like.

Goodson as well.

What Meh Worry ?

I am with you, I don't see anything out side of DT to worry about

How about coaching? I know we are playing a vanilla defense, believe me I watched the game again today and we played zone almost every down. Except the touchdown to Ronnie Brown which was actually set up by an illegal pick by the wide receiver on James Anderson who was covering Brown. That was not a blown coverage as many have pointed out, it was a penalty that wasn't called. The other "blown" coverage was a well executed wildcat play that we just got out of position on a trick play that wasn't planned for, big deal. Some of the other "blown" coverage problems happened because we were playing a cover two which has soft spots in the corners right behind the cornerback. Usually this is open and the safety looks out of position but in fact its just the nature of that coverage.

My problem, outside of the defensive tackle, is whether we will be this vanilla during the regular season. I was watching the Colts first preseason game and they were talking about the new defensive coordinator and how he differed from Meeks. They pretty much said that Meeks was very, very vanilla and relied on the front four to pressure the QB. When that defense lost Bob Sanders a few years ago they were horrible, that shouldn't happen. A good coach should be able to develop a gameplan or a scheme to cover up holes like that. I don't think Meeks will do this and he will continue to run a defense that won't work. Running backs will run all over us because we won't man up on receivers and we will keep the safeties about 10-15 yards from scrimmage. QB's will check down to the running backs because no one will be covering them because of the cover two and the safeties will look out of position because of the holes in the cover two.

The offense doesn't concern me as much because if anything Davidson will throw more to the tight ends and once Smitty gets out there the safety and the corner will double him which will leave a safety or linebacker on Barnidge which is a mismatch. DeWill should be able to capitalize on that as well because Smitty will bring some extra attention and Davidson will keep the defense honest by running screens (he said he loved screen passes when he first got here last year and now he seems to be using them more).

Goodson as well.

What Meh Worry ?

Seeing Henning's offense there makes me angry towards Mr. Fox. :(

Goodson as well.

What Meh Worry ?

Poor tackling. Fundamentals still need some work, especially with the DBs.

Other than that, I agree.

- Mackenzy "Bernardo" as a backup center is a BIG drop off. His fumble recovery doesn't make up for letting two guys blow past him.

- Godfrey is getting used.

- Lloyd seems to be where he was at the end of last season instead of the beginning.

- Baker had to reach to ****** even the 'good' long snaps.

- Landon Johnson is a huge waste of money that can't be reclaimed.

- 10! fumbles.

- Week 3 we play at Dallas and that monitor could fall and crush half of our team.

Archived