• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina coaches revisited

methodtoll

So here they stand 11-3 and hopefully going into playoff mode... Fortunately for us, we are not a team on the verge of firing their head coach.

However, there are teams (such as The Bengals and Lions) who will be looking for a head coach once the season is over or college teams also looking for coaches.

I think it is time to finally give some of our coaches some love and elevate them to the next level. So that leads me to this:

Who, off of our current staff, deserves a coordinator or even head coaching gig?

IMO, no doubt in mind, Jeff Davidson deserves it after turning this offense from one dimensional to a balanced attack. A lot can be said about our passing game but overall not bad.. The running game has been our greatest asset.

Speaking of RBs... What about Jim Skipper? He has done an excellent job with J-Stew and D-Will and has turned them into a potent threat.

On defense, I have to say that Mike Trgovac has done a good job... If he can tighten up on third downs and stop the passing attack then I think he could win himself a head coaching gig.

Tim Lewis has done a great job with our secondary... Especially turning Gamble, Lucas, and Marshall into solid corners (not that they wasn't before.. Just a hell of a lot better)

Thoughts?

Davidson needs more seasoning, no one is going after him unless they are trying to pull some Falcon/Raven's magic. Even then there are better candidates.

Skipper could be up for an OC job but I think that he is pretty comfy here and once again I think there are better candidates.

Trgovac.....what can you say. Everybody talks about how intelligent he is but no one ever asks him on a date. He is like the pretty fat girl in HS.

Tim Lewis could go to a DC job but I don't know if he really wants to get back to that. He kinda stunk it up with the NYG's. Maybe if the right job offer came along he would say yes but it would have to be a good one. No Lions, Browns, Rams teams.

The problem in determining which coaches should be promoted is a tough one; you have to decide how much of that coache's area's cuccess derives from the talent of the players and how much from the design and tutelage of the coach.

Being that I'm not privvy to anything other than seeing how these same athletes perform from year to year, I don't know that I can make such attributions. DeAngelo, for example, is a very good back with a very good offensive line. I'm not sure it's our use of DeAngelo that has contributed to his success, so much as his natural ability and the line her runs behind.

Davidson has not established himself nearly well enough to proclaim a head coaching job. If we had one of the highest scoring or most effective offenses in the game, possibly. I think our offense will only improve as Davidson and the players work together in the system. Until then.

BB you raise some good points. Also have to factor in how hard the player works on his own to get better, as it seems Williams has. He has made a HUGE HUGE jump this year from last year.

One way to sort of determine a coach's ability is how their unit deals with injuries. Though backup talent is a factor there as well, having your backups ready to play and fill in and make the transition well= big ups to a coach.

On the current staff, there is no one who jumps out at me.

Davidson is learning on the job and likely wouldn't be near ready for several years. I do like how he is willing to change things to see if they could work better another way (like coming down from the booth). Adaptability and flexibility are HUGE and important attributes in coaches, especially in the salary cap era when you can't just keep the same talent for 10 years and just do what you do.

Davidson's shaping only one good season, and I'm not sure he's on anybody's radar for a head coaching job. So I think he's safe here for another year, which is a good thing if he can keep this up.

Trgo, he's been coordinating defense here for a few years and nobody's seriously given him a look at all, even with several top ten showings, so I don't know if anybody's hiring him to be a head coach.

Davidson's shaping only one good season, and I'm not sure he's on anybody's radar for a head coaching job. So I think he's safe here for another year, which is a good thing if he can keep this up.

Trgo, he's been coordinating defense here for a few years and nobody's seriously given him a look at all, even with several top ten showings, so I don't know if anybody's hiring him to be a head coach.

But its amazing what a Super Bowl run can do to the stock value of assistant coaches. The Giants DC, Saprano I think, hadn't been mentioned for any coaching jobs before the Super Bowl. After the Giants won he became one of the big name canidates. Desperate teams like the Rams tend to sign coaches like this so that it creates a buzz.

Archived