• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Connor

Ja  Rhule

Sometimes, when backed into a corner, it's better to just admit defeat when you're wrong than try to keep going with a stupid idea...

You can't be backed into a corner on an opinion. I knew from the start that it wouldn't go over well to criticize the flavor of the moment but those are the kind of lumps you take when you try to remove bias from the situation and determine why the all time leading tackler at Penn State who put up decent enough numbers at the combine fell all the way to the 74th pick.

Every scouting report you're going to find is going to say something to the effect of, "scouts question his athleticism", or "tight hips", or any of the other scout jargon for a player that is not as athletic as his counterparts.

The ACL tear only increased that weakness and magnified it. He is still a fine player, but that is mainly due to his anticipation of the play.

Oh well, I didn't figure this would go over very well anyways. He's the savior of the moment.

These "former NFL scouts" that a lot of sites use to get these scouting reports are "former NFL scouts" for a reason. How is he less athletic, when he has better measureables than 95% of the starting linebackers in the league?

.....because he doesn't have better measurables than 95% of the starting linebackers in the league?

And even if he could still reach those numbers he put up at the combine, which is highly in doubt due to that ACL tear, he still wouldn't be in the upper echelon.

And this is coming off as me being WAY more negative about Dan Connor as a player than it should be. It's just the minuscule difference between people thinking he's a tremendous athlete at a position where tremendous athletes are abundant.

You can't be backed into a corner on an opinion. I knew from the start that it wouldn't go over well to criticize the flavor of the moment but those are the kind of lumps you take when you try to remove bias from the situation and determine why the all time leading tackler at Penn State who put up decent enough numbers at the combine fell all the way to the 74th pick.

Every scouting report you're going to find is going to say something to the effect of, "scouts question his athleticism", or "tight hips", or any of the other scout jargon for a player that is not as athletic as his counterparts.

The ACL tear only increased that weakness and magnified it. He is still a fine player, but that is mainly due to his anticipation of the play.

Oh well, I didn't figure this would go over very well anyways. He's the savior of the moment.

I lost you after you said you were unbiased. Did he snub you when you tried to get his autograph or some other reason you seem to go out of your way to criticize a guy that has universally gotten praise since he hit the field this year.

Honestly you know that scout reports have to say negatives as well as postives and they often reach to come up with issues. Can't believe you are still on it. You can criticize him as the savior of the moment but the reality is that we all see his potential and ability. You seem to be the only one blinded by some need to devalue him.

.....because he doesn't have better measurables than 95% of the starting linebackers in the league?

And even if he could still reach those numbers he put up at the combine, which is highly in doubt due to that ACL tear, he still wouldn't be in the upper echelon.

And this is coming off as me being WAY more negative about Dan Connor as a player than it should be. It's just the minuscule difference between people thinking he's a tremendous athlete at a position where tremendous athletes are abundant.

Let me say this again, EVERYTHING but his 40 time was better than what Patrick Willis did, who many people call the best LB in the league as of now. I'm sorry but your comment was wrong, end of story. It's easy to be defensive and not want to be wrong but you are, just face it. It's not an opinion anymore when there are facts to disprove it.

Let me say this again, EVERYTHING but his 40 time was better than what Patrick Willis did, who many people call the best LB in the league as of now. I'm sorry but your comment was wrong, end of story. It's easy to be defensive and not want to be wrong but you are, just face it. It's not an opinion anymore when there are facts to disprove it.

Then answer me this. Why did he slip? Why was this player that had exceptional measurables and such a tremendous pedigree last until the 74th pick?

For that matter, go on any other message board aside from a Carolina one and ask them the same question. The general consensus, and it's the correct one, is that Connor was viewed as an nonathletic system linebacker. He has done a tremendous job of disproving the system linebacker comments in the preseason to this point, but he still has to contend with the lack of elite skills to compliment his great football IQ.

Then answer me this. Why did he slip? Why was this player that had exceptional measurables and such a tremendous pedigree last until the 74th pick?

For that matter, go on any other message board aside from a Carolina one and ask them the same question. The general consensus, and it's the correct one, is that Connor was viewed as an nonathletic system linebacker. He has done a tremendous job of disproving the system linebacker comments in the preseason to this point, but he still has to contend with the lack of elite skills to compliment his great football IQ.

He slipped because he's not a 3-4 ILB, and that's what the teams who needed that position picked. Since he was projected first round, when he started to slip everyone stayed away from him because that's how things work and when it came to our pick, which was BPA, we grabbed him without hesitating.

Again, ask anyone about someone who isn't on a team they follow and they won't be able to give you an accurate evaluation of said player. Especially one like Connor who only draft guys would know and they basically are sheep to guys like Mayock.

He has all the skills to be a great LB, he's just on a team that doesn't have a pressing need for him at his position. I think if he was healthy all of last year he would be starting at our Sam spot, but right now we can't even afford to toy with switching him over until Beason is ready to go.

Are we talking about athletes or football players? How could an NFL MLB not be a great athlete in the year 2009? There are hundreds of examples of great athletes who had ridiculous combine numbers that flat out sucked in the NFL.

OPINION: Connor is/isn't a good athlete.

FACT: Connor is a good football player.

After reading through all this all I can add is right now I'm damned glad he's on the roster. With Beason entrenched I questioned the pick, and truthfully thought Dan could waste away here.

Now IDK, as long as it's not serious Beason's injury could end up falling into the same category I've placed all of the preseason injuries so far.... Maybe a blessing in disguise, maybe disaster.

Blasfumus as it may seem, if Connor shows he can anchor the middle, would they consider moving Beason to Sam? Probably not, but in my mind I can see Davis, Connor, Beason. WOW... the edges would rock, and the middle would be damned solid.

I believe the Panthers invisioned Davis (Weak), Morgan (Middle), Beason (strong) a couple of years ago, so maybe not a huge stretch, then again Beason has been so good in the middle, it won't happen.

Archived