• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Connor

Ja  Rhule

For more reading:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-panthers-linebackers&prov=ap&type=lgns

...enter Connor, who seemed an unlikely choice with the Panthers needing help at several positions—but not linebacker—in 2008. Despite leaving Penn State as the school’s career leader with 419 tackles, Connor acknowledged he was “shocked” to go 74th overall to the Panthers.

You're hopeless, really. You're not supplying anything other than your own counter opinion which is fine as you're totally entitled to that, but that doesn't mean you're not wrong. College stats mean nothing. The all time leading passer in NCAA history is out trying to earn a living in the CHL and you're trying to bring me stats in college to prove that a player is so wicked awesome? Please.

And if you're paying attention, i'm not only going by the voice of some panel i'm telling you what i've seen from him in action. My own opinion. Just like you are bringing your own opinion to counter mine. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is not a quantifiable measure. This is a pure talent evaluation and trying to bring corroboration to points that you have gleaned by watching a player is impossible to do.

He's not a hell of a good athlete, but he's a hell of a football player. He has a mind for the game and that is more than half the battle. I would take Connor with Connor's agility shortcomings and athletic concerns over Dan Morgan's athleticism with Chris Henry's mind. All day every day.

Your not watching the games when he is in are you? Even preseason last year he made some CRAZY spin moves that put a juking RB on his back. I saw similar attempts to fake out or make Connor miss this preseason and it just...doesn't...happen. If he were not that athletic, he could not get to the ball (ALL THE TIME) with such ease. Sure, good eyesight and decision making comes into play but let me see a jet pilot out there trying to get to the ball. Here's a hint, his number is 57.

You're hopeless, really. You're not supplying anything other than your own counter opinion which is fine as you're totally entitled to that, but that doesn't mean you're not wrong. College stats mean nothing. The all time leading passer in NCAA history is out trying to earn a living in the CHL and you're trying to bring me stats in college to prove that a player is so wicked awesome? Please.

And if you're paying attention, i'm not only going by the voice of some panel i'm telling you what i've seen from him in action. My own opinion. Just like you are bringing your own opinion to counter mine. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is not a quantifiable measure. This is a pure talent evaluation and trying to bring corroboration to points that you have gleaned by watching a player is impossible to do.

He's not a hell of a good athlete, but he's a hell of a football player. He has a mind for the game and that is more than half the battle. I would take Connor with Connor's agility shortcomings and athletic concerns over Dan Morgan's athleticism with Chris Henry's mind. All day every day.

So if I need to supply something other than my own opinion maybe I should use quantifiable measures, huh? Maybe like the shuttle and three cone drill numbers? Or the bench press? Or the 40 yard dash? They all PROVE athletic ability. If they didn't matter, then why would people measure them? You look at the player, you look at the combine numbers, and you look at college production. Connor excelled in production, had impressive combine numbers (save straight-line speed), and as a player his instincts have been demonstrated on the field time and again. To say he's not athletic is to say Patrick Willis and Jon Beason aren't, because Connor beat their numbers in every way save straight-line speed. And that's not an opinion, it's fact.

Maybe you're right, we both have opinions. The difference is that yours are based on what other people's opinions are (people you haven't even identified other than a vague reference to "those guys" covering the draft), while mine are based on combine results, college production, NFL production, and just plain watching him play. Your stiff and unathletic linebacker has made 15 tackles already in the preseason, and that hasn't been in mop-up duty.

I don't think you have any basis for your opinion whatsoever, other than a stubborn desire to talk down a talented player so you don't seem like you might have made a mistake on an anonymous message board. Or I could be wrong about you, and you're just sorely mistaken about Connor.

You are indeed wrong about me, but I no longer wish to discuss football with somebody who takes it personally. You have no more merit to your posts than mine in terms of "proof" that Connor is more or less athletic than his combine numbers.

Have fun talking to yourself, because you obviously want to hear no other opinion than your own.

The only commonality is that they're white. Dan Morgan is the most athletic linebacker we've ever had. Dan Connor is probably the least, but one of the smartest. They both play hard, but you won't find too many linebackers that can get away with not playing that way.... which is why Peppers never would have worked out as a 3-4 LB.

Morgan was a freak of nature. A once in a lifetime kind of talent with the drive to match. The only downfall being his propensity for injury.

NO NOT TRUE... they have the same name too dude.. coincidence.... or super natural!?!?1!111!!!oneone

After reading through these threads it amazes me why we would be debating whether Connor is athletic or not. Draft experts talking about hip flexion, quickness, or a number of other elements are splitting hairs most of the time to differentiate phenomenal athletes who all have excellent ability or they wouldn't have made it as far as they have. Of course Connor is athletic and falling to the third round is hardly an indictment of his ability. His numbers at Penn State were great and frankly everyone was more or less shocked he fell as far as he did. We weren't looking for a LB but felt we couldn't pass up on the opportunity. Every thing I see this year so far suggests we made an excellent decision.

Cyber's numbers suggest he is as athletic as the next guy. The reality is that success in the NFL isn't about athleticism because everyone at this level is athletic, it is about what is between their ears. And we all agree he is intelligent, rarely makes many missteps, and is always around the ball. And since we all agree that these characteristics are the most important aspects of what makes a linebacker successful in the NFL, what the hell is everyone arguing for pages about?????

Connor is a good athlete. You're just plain dumb to think otherwise. :)

By regular joe standards, sure he is. By standards of most NFL linebackers? Not so much. With all these uber stats, wicked times in the combine, and pedigree of the next elite linebacker it's a shock to me that he made it out of the Top 5 picks from hearing some of you talk. Hi, it's the voice of reason. Watch some game tape and tell me he's more athletic than your average NFL linebacker... you'd just be plain dumb to not think otherwise.

Good thing this game isn't all about being a good athlete. It is a requisite and understood that EVERY player in the NFL is an athlete, so discussing that point is moot. However, we as observers can observe the various degrees of success of their peers and determine where they stack up. That is the nature of observation. I could go out and sprint, but that does not make me a sprinter. In order to meet the requisite of being a sprinter, there is a certain level that must be attained. Once I reach that, I can be classified as a below average sprinter. That's the point that is being missed.

Duh. He's in the NFL. He has athletic ability. That doesn't mean he has more or less than the guy beside him.

Ok, let's have it your way. He's not more athletic than most linebackers in the NFL.

At common points in their careers, he's just stronger than most, quicker than most, has better reaction than most, and even faster than most, but he's not more athletic. He's got more accolades than most for performance on an athletic field, but he's not more athletic. He's a multi-sport star who broke high school records for both rushing and tackling. He's an All-American who was the MVP of the North/South Bowl. He currently leads his current team in tackles. But he's not more athletic.

So to sum up, he's more accomplished, more physically gifted, and more instinctive at this point in his career than most linebackers in the NFL. But in your world, he's not more athletic, he's actually not very athletic at all.

Got it.

By regular joe standards, sure he is. By standards of most NFL linebackers? Not so much. With all these uber stats, wicked times in the combine, and pedigree of the next elite linebacker it's a shock to me that he made it out of the Top 5 picks from hearing some of you talk. Hi, it's the voice of reason. Watch some game tape and tell me he's more athletic than your average NFL linebacker... you'd just be plain dumb to not think otherwise.

Good thing this game isn't all about being a good athlete. It is a requisite and understood that EVERY player in the NFL is an athlete, so discussing that point is moot. However, we as observers can observe the various degrees of success of their peers and determine where they stack up. That is the nature of observation. I could go out and sprint, but that does not make me a sprinter. In order to meet the requisite of being a sprinter, there is a certain level that must be attained. Once I reach that, I can be classified as a below average sprinter. That's the point that is being missed.

Duh. He's in the NFL. He has athletic ability. That doesn't mean he has more or less than the guy beside him.

Again you miss the point. If you are watching a guy who makes the rights moves, is always around the ball, and anticipates as well as anyone then he won't look super athletic. Why not? Because he isn't trying to recover after being out of position, isn't trying to make up for taking poor lines or angles. He makes it look easy which won't be seen as athletic. But he looks every bit good enough to play for us at Mike until beason comes back. But if his numbers are as good as the next guy which they were at the combine, then he is as athletic as the next guy.

Unless you are a professional scout, what makes you such an expert that you can watch TV and determine how athletic or good he is at this point? You are obviously welcome to your opinion but to go on and on with little else seems to be getting a little ridiculous. You haven't even mentioned that he is still recovering from ACL reconstruction and was only determined to be 100% as late as the middle of July. What are you expecting??

Archived