• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Running Backs by the Numbers

Jeremy Igo

Stewart's cap hit for 2015 is $8.3m, if you make him a June 1 cut his cap hit will be $6.3m.  That frees up $2.0m.

Of course this pushes some of his dead money into 2016.

Under his current contracts his cap hit for 2016 is $9.55m.  If you make him a June 1 cut in 2015 his 2016 cap number (dead money) would be $7.3m.

So basically if we cut him next year we free up roughly $2m in cap space in each of the next two years relative to his current contract.

I'm not saying we should, or that the front office will, but his contract is finally to the point where we won't lose cap space if we cut him.

Overthecap.com actually has a calculator now that will show you all of the different scenarios.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/carolina-panthers/

I do watch games my friend! i may be drunk on my ass but i watch for sure!

I know you do. I see you in the chat, and read your posts all the time. I was just busting your chops. You know, being a pain in the butt. And for no apparent reason as well. Sometimes I just can't help it.

He will be a 30 yr old RB next year....Tolbert is at the end.

And Tolbert looked like poo this year if you watched him before the injury. He is old. Generally speaking when discussing 30 yr old RBs......the "future" is mainly just referencing the past....bc there is no future.

Don't mind me if I just don't buy into this. Pre injury our line was playing poorly. No one looked good trying to run, but his blocking was actually pretty good. Contrary to what you are trying to paint him out to be.

Just because the guy has an off year. It does not automatically mean he is done. You think every player closing in on 30 is done. I guess if you say it all the time, when it does actually happen you can be right every so often.

Now if he struggles again next year, I may buy into your line of thinking. But...I will wait to write him off for the time being.

Maybe a cheaper replacement would be a bit of a drop off but the money saved might help us get a better tackle.  Would that be worth it?

The 13mil we get from not having Hardy should go a long way in adding some talent. We don't need to dump Tolbert to do that.

We don't need a prototypical FB. We don't use one often enough. Tolbert does way more than what a normal FB does, so I see no reason to get rid of him at this time.

Hey, I have no say in the matter. I just tell it like I see it. And to me, Tolbert deserves another shot to see if he still gots it. If he does, he helps us.

I love how Stew is running.. but we forget how often he gets hurt since he's tearing it up. 

Fozzy has been pretty sweet though, was looking forward to him since pre season and he has made plays with his opps.

Tolbert is still very useful and plays with an edge as well.. don't know why we would get rid of him.. he's our fullback, who does things other fullbacks can't do.

Stewart's cap hit for 2015 is $8.3m, if you make him a June 1 cut his cap hit will be $6.3m. That frees up $2.0m.

Of course this pushes some of his dead money into 2016.

Under his current contracts his cap hit for 2016 is $9.55m. If you make him a June 1 cut in 2015 his 2016 cap number (dead money) would be $7.3m.

So basically if we cut him next year we free up roughly $2m in cap space in each of the next two years relative to his current contract.

I'm not saying we should, or that the front office will, but his contract is finally to the point where we won't lose cap space if we cut him.

Overthecap.com actually has a calculator now that will show you all of the different scenarios.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/carolina-panthers/

Cool man. Thanks for the site. Have always used sports trac.

Thanks for the clarification. You do seem to be right.

Hell, cut em all.

Don't mind me if I just don't buy into this. Pre injury our line was playing poorly. No one looked good trying to run, but his blocking was actually pretty good. Contrary to what you are trying to paint him out to be.

Just because the guy has an off year. It does not automatically mean he is done. You think every player closing in on 30 is done. I guess if you say it all the time, when it does actually happen you can be right every so often.

Now if he struggles again next year, I may buy into your line of thinking. But...I will wait to write him off for the time being.

No, I don't think every player is done at 30 bc they aren't.

I want nothing to do with 30 yr old RBs.

Yeah, you don't need a first round RB......for Cam not to lead the team in rushing. Just need an a good team around Cam. Need to get away from the illusion that a run game begins with a RB. A it begins with an OL.....and helps even more with a legit pass attack. Have that....and anyone can run. Proof can be seen on Sundays.

Stewart is our best RB not because of a legit passing game and a good oL it's because he is a more TALENTED back.A... he is a physical RB who opens up running lanes by running over the defender...unlike Barner,D-lo,or Fozzy.B... he has great vision for reading defenses and recognizing blitzes...could Barner.C...he has better hands than D-Lo.so whenever you say insert anyone at RB and they can be just as effective as the the next man.it just doesn't make any sense.

Archived