• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We have the best Backfield in the NFL

Malt Liquor

The original post...goes without saying.

Titans..Chris Johnson, Lendale White anybody?

Jets...Thomas Jones, Leon Washington anybody?

Bills...Marshawn Lynch, Freddy Jackson anybody?

I would have the Panthers running backs in the top 5 though. I'll give you all that, you're running game is opening eyes around the league.

Your response, come on if you're going to try and question this, at least name a tandem in the top 10. At least come with the top rushing attacks... Min, Atl, NYG. Uhm before I dismiss you as just being totally ignorant, tell me what RB tandem lead the league in yards AND touchdowns last season. Then think to yourself, the combo's you listed, how did they compare to Will/Stew. Another lil stat you should look up, which tandem lost the LEAST amount of fumbles. Man, the more you post, the dumber you sound.

I would be inclined to agree the Panthers probably have the most talented 1-2 punch at RB in the league. But I think the Giants are right there with them, but I give the edge because I don't think there are any RBs on the Giants that can do what D Will can do

There is no way to dispute DeAngelo Williams' status as one of the best backs in the NFL, unless one wants to say that he needs to have more than one good/great season to prove that 2008 wasn't a fluke. To that I would say "nonsense, he has averaged nearly 5.1 ypc over a three-year career".

Now, before I cause an uproar here let me say that I love that Stewart is a Panther just as much as anyone else and I believe he will be special. BUT...

After reviewing last year's individual game stats just a few minutes ago, I was shocked to see some less than desirable numbers. For example, although he averaged 4.5 ypc on the season, he averaged less than 4.0 ypc in 10 of 16 games. Not to drag up old arguments, but people around here have lambasted prior RBs (Foster, Goings, Davis after 2004, and many more) for being below that magic 4.0 ypc threshold. In fact, he averaged less than 3.5 ypc in eight games, and 3.0 ypc or less in five of those eight.

IMO, his best games were in week 1 and 2 against two very respectable defenses. He averaged 5.3 and 5.5 ypc respectively in those games. I would even say he was the reason we beat Chicago in week two. He was good against Detroit, but... it was Detroit. He averaged 14 ypc against Green Bay, but 41 of his 56 yards came in one play. He went 15 yards on three carries the rest of the game. That is an outstanding 5.0 ypc but I personally put more stock into averages over a greater span. He was great against Tampa in week 14, but by the end of that game I was nearly convinced I could run it up their throat.

Also, with the lone exception of his 28-yard receiving game (on two catches) against the Giants, he has not been much of a contributer in the passing game. Now I will gladly point out that its likely that Jake didn't check down to Stewart very often. Still, a RB ideally needs to be a dual threat. It would appear at first glance that Stewart isn't.

Lastly, just as I said Williams may need to perform at a high level consistently to prove his worth, the same could be said of Stewart, even more so since he has only one season on his resume.

I do believe that Williams and Stewart are one of the best tandems, and possibly THE best RB tandem in the NFL. However, some folks need to realize that fans of other teams may see things a little more clearly than we Panther fans do in regards to our players.

Still, that Bills fans is indeed delusional. Freddy Jackson? who dat?

Take away that 25 yard run by Williams earlier and the Panthers are averaging a stellar 2.1 yards per carry on the ground against the fish defense this evening. Ouch! Best in the NFL?

1) You don't "take away" a run/pass/kick/punt to guage the effectiveness of any part of the game. Those numbers are part of the stats and therefore should remain part of the equation. How many times to you see more than a handful of big runs in an NFL game? If you subtracted the big runs, almost all RBs would be mediocre on paper.

2) Three big pieces of the Panthers offense are missing: Steve Smith, Muhsin Muhammad, and Jonathan Stewart. If you think those three don't have an impact on the running game, you don't know football and you need to step away from the keyboard.

3) It's preseason.

Take away that 25 yard run by Williams earlier and the Panthers are averaging a stellar 2.1 yards per carry on the ground against the fish defense this evening. Ouch! Best in the NFL?

Yea, and if you take away all the big runs that Michael Turner has, or Chris Johnson, or even LT, then they look just like ordinary backs too...

you dont take away runs, the run itself showed why we are the best...

Also no S.Smith to stretch the field or Muhhamed for that matter...

Lynch isn't even as good as Stewart... (not to mention he as no off field issues)

Also nice shutout you got going

Do you even watch football? One game does not decide who is the best one way or another. You look at a players season. The entire body of work. How you can even compare the Bills backfield to Carolina's is beyond me.

Archived