• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When Your QB Knows More Than Your OC

chknwing

Well to counter argue, one correct play call by Cam is still greater than or equal to the number of correct play calls Shula has made for entire games this season...

I'm going with the argument is valid.

Not only that. But the BEST the Panthers have looked  through out the year has been with the No Huddle, where Newton makes adjustments, can call his own plays.

His playcalling from last year to this year has not really changed....whether you like him or not is another question.

The difference between last year and this year has been talent and execution:

1. OLine has had all kinds of issues

2. Cam has not been 100% and his running ability was not there/utilized during most of the season

3. Defense has played nowhere near the level as last year....which puts a lot more pressure on the offense

Shula last year is Shula this year.

I agree with all three points.

My main issue with Shula is when things aren't going well he usually can't figure out a way to spark the offense.

A lot of OCs will have some sort of gadget play or something, and if offense is struggling they may pull out something to get a cheap TD or some sort of fun play that can get the offense going in either in yardage, points, or just general ethusiasm.

The more we struggle the more he closes his playbook when he should be openimg it up to try and manufacture points and/or yards.

I agree with all three points.

My main issue with Shula is when things aren't going well he usually can't figure out a way to spark the offense.

A lot of OCs will have some sort of gadget play or something, and if offense is struggling they may pull out something to get a cheap TD or some sort of fun play that can get the offense going in either in yardage, points, or just general ethusiasm.

The more we struggle the more he closes his playbook when he should be openimg it up to try and manufacture points and/or yards.

I would like nothing more than see the Panthers upgrade at OC and get someone in with a little creativity and energy.

While I agree with Hatter, we need an offensive mind in here (with a defensive head coach), I can tell you that it is a lot harder to call every play than one.  An extra pair of eyes on the field can see things he cannot, and it is no critique of Shula that he went with Cam's idea and it was a completion.

The thing that I caught, and my expertise is limited to calling plays on the high school level, is the phrase, "I was thinking pass..." 

Here is why that might be a rather alarming statement.  Much of what the OC does is think 2-3 plays ahead, like a chess player.  If you are in a rhythm, you are running the ball to set up a particular pass play.  When the defense adjusts to the pass, you have a good idea how they will adjust and where they will be vulnerable vs. the run.  So to say, "I was thinking pass..." is a bit scary, unless I am taking it totally out of context.  He could be simplifying it for the media or masking his thought process.  Regardless, it made it seem to me that he was scanning his playbook like an Applebee's menu.  I am not sure I have made the point, but the way it was written, this seems as if Shula was rather spontaneous and lacked a strategy.

While I agree with Hatter, we need an offensive mind in here (with a defensive head coach), I can tell you that it is a lot harder to call every play than one.  An extra pair of eyes on the field can see things he cannot, and it is no critique of Shula that he went with Cam's idea and it was a completion.

The thing that I caught, and my expertise is limited to calling plays on the high school level, is the phrase, "I was thinking pass..." 

Here is why that might be a rather alarming statement.  Much of what the OC does is think 2-3 plays ahead, like a chess player.  If you are in a rhythm, you are running the ball to set up a particular pass play.  When the defense adjusts to the pass, you have a good idea how they will adjust and where they will be vulnerable vs. the run.  So to say, "I was thinking pass..." is a bit scary, unless I am taking it totally out of context.  He could be simplifying it for the media or masking his thought process.  Regardless, it made it seem to me that he was scanning his playbook like an Applebee's menu.  I am not sure I have made the point, but the way it was written, this seems as if Shula was rather spontaneous and lacked a strategy.

Excellent points

I want to revisit a conversation I had on twitter with a neutral sports fan from California during the first Panthers/Saints game.

guy: "Your O.C. is the worst in the NFL. He couldn't call a high school game competently"

me: "this is true. he defaulted his way into OC"

guy: "Who is it? I have no idea, but the guy is obviously just pulling plays out of a hat"

me: "freaking Mike Shula. He has failed everywhere he has been"

guy: "Oh....my....God. I had NO idea. I thought he was a joke 15 years ago and now an NFL team lets him run their offense?"

guy: "Shula is terrible They need to fire him. This is one of the 3 worst offenses in the NFL. I have watched the last 3 games and they have like 1 TD, right?"

At some point I can see Shula being the best type of OC for Cam, where Cam has the freedom to call and read the game from the line and gets better with experience. 

This worries me as Cam seems to have built an understanding with Shula, if we replace him with a more rigid OC, things might go badly. 

It can't get much worse than 5-8-1 and about to miss the playoffs.

Archived