• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When Your QB Knows More Than Your OC

chknwing

1.  I never questioned Cam's football IQ nor did I say he could not read defenses

2.  I said that one of the ex coaches who lived in my neighborhood made a comment that Cam struggled to read defenses and that is why he was not allowed to audible as much....but that was his rookie season.

3.  Making input on a play call from the sideline (before the defense sets up) is NOT reading a defense.  It is however an indication that Cam did his homework and had good input on likely tendancies by the Bucs during certain scenarios....which is a very good thing.

However, making the leap that the OP did based on one completed pass is rididulous.  Just like it would have been ridiculous if it has not worked and someone pointed to that ONE instance as proof that Cam did not know what he was doing.

Thanks for playing though....you are ALWAYS entertaining.

Are you really trying to add legitimacy to the "my neighbor told me Cam can't read defenses, it's true guys" story again?

Are you really trying to add legitimacy to the "my neighbor told me Cam can't read defenses, it's true guys" story again?

I do not need to add legitimacy to anything.  I know what happened....and I have NEVER cared what the likes of a person like you think or believe. 

I do not need to add legitimacy to anything.  I know what happened....and I have NEVER cared what the likes of a person like you think or believe. 

Oh, this line again.

You've amassed nearly 20,000 posts on a football message board. I would say that you definitely care somewhat. We all do.

Oh, this line again.

You've amassed nearly 20,000 posts on a football message board. I would say that you definitely care somewhat. We all do.

I care what some on here think as they have shown to be intelligent and rational posters....I enjoy their opinion and discussion.

You .....not so much.  You are just mild entertainment in an otherwise stressful day.

You're missing the point. Calling one play that works does not mean you are suddenly knowledgeable than the OC. How many people on game day threads have not called for example a screen pass and then it works. Are they suddenly better than the OC?

Think it has more to do with it being a good situational call, and Shula obviously has had struggles in those instances. The play Cam suggested more than likely had a higher chance of succeeding if history is any indication.

the idea is for the coach to teach the qb, not the other way around. Shula has nothing to offer Cam, hes useless. If your gonna let Cam have 100% freedom, then just fire Shula and hire no one.

No quarterback in the league has had that kind of autonomy since the 70s, not even Peyton.

The game is just too complex for that anymore.

Yeah we need to replace Shula this offseason, I supported him last year because his calls weren't as bad as people suggested, but this years been pretty bad

His playcalling from last year to this year has not really changed....whether you like him or not is another question.

The difference between last year and this year has been talent and execution:

1.  OLine has had all kinds of issues

2.  Cam has not been 100% and his running ability was not there/utilized during most of the season

3.  Defense has played nowhere near the level as last year....which puts a lot more pressure on the offense

Shula last year is Shula this year.

Archived