• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When Your QB Knows More Than Your OC

chknwing

You're missing the point. Calling one play that works does not mean you are suddenly knowledgeable than the OC. How many people on game day threads have not called for example a screen pass and then it works. Are they suddenly better than the OC?

Well to counter argue, one correct play call by Cam is still greater than or equal to the number of correct play calls Shula has made for entire games this season...

I'm going with the argument is valid.

You're missing the point. Calling one play that works does not mean you are suddenly knowledgeable than the OC. How many people on game day threads have not called for example a screen pass and then it works. Are they suddenly better than the OC?

what you have to add in there is the time at which the play was called.  The game was on the line as there was only 3 mins left.  Shula called some BS play that Cam quickly disagreed with and suggested another one.  In this type a situation an OC should feel comfortable with what he just called.  Letting Cam call the play was a pussy move by Shula and a way out of making a critical decision.

At some point I can see Shula being the best type of OC for Cam, where Cam has the freedom to call and read the game from the line and gets better with experience. 

This worries me as Cam seems to have built an understanding with Shula, if we replace him with a more rigid OC, things might go badly. 

that was the issue early on with Roethlisberger and Haley. I don't see keeping Shula , who is horrible, just because of his assumed rapport with Newton. A good professional OC will work with a good young QB.

Even Peyton has an OC.  You just need an OC that can either calm down or juice up the QB when he needs to.  They MUST be on the same page though.  You cant have a grizzled old miser calling runs when the QB sees passing opportunities and you cant have a jolly green R-tard calling triple option reverse half back read dive toss slant crack sweep slant z go QB kneel.

inb4 Chud

It was vague, but still.

In one thread CelibatePimp will be practically tripping over himself to talk up Newton.

In the next he will be the only guy trying to convince you that Newton doesn't know poo.

Strange.

Only to someone who can't understand what he was ACTUALLY trying to say.

All Pimp said was that making one call that was successful does NOT validate the OP's assertion and statement that Cam knows more than the OC.  He did NOT say that Cam did not know poo.

Even Peyton has an OC. You just need an OC that can either calm down or juice up the QB when he needs to. They MUST be on the same page though. You cant have a grizzled old miser calling runs when the QB sees passing opportunities and you cant have a jolly green R-tard calling triple option reverse half back read dive toss slant crack sweep slant z go QB kneel.

OCs are responsible for the system they run and the game plan. For instance Shulas system can be compared to a jungle gym and his playbook to a coloring book

Only to someone who can't understand what he was ACTUALLY trying to say.

All Pimp said was that making one call that was successful does NOT validate the OP's assertion and statement that Cam knows more than the OC.  He did NOT say that Cam did not know poo.

I think all we've seen from Shula over the last two seasons, and particularly this season, suggests otherwise. Also, since we drafted Newton, we've had fans around here (they know who they are) who have claimed that Newton cannot read defenses, and questioned his football IQ.

I think all we've seen from Shula over the last two seasons, and particularly this season, suggests otherwise. Also, since we drafted Newton, we've had fans around here (they know who they are) who have claimed that Newton cannot read defenses, and questioned his football IQ.

1.  I never questioned Cam's football IQ nor did I say he could not read defenses

2.  I said that one of the ex coaches who lived in my neighborhood made a comment that Cam struggled to read defenses and that is why he was not allowed to audible as much....but that was his rookie season.

3.  Making input on a play call from the sideline (before the defense sets up) is NOT reading a defense.  It is however an indication that Cam did his homework and had good input on likely tendancies by the Bucs during certain scenarios....which is a very good thing.

However, making the leap that the OP did based on one completed pass is rididulous.  Just like it would have been ridiculous if it has not worked and someone pointed to that ONE instance as proof that Cam did not know what he was doing.

Thanks for playing though....you are ALWAYS entertaining.

Archived