• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Credit the Defense for the Victory

Jeremy Igo

RR and Shula tried so hard to fug that win up. When they ran it three times and punted at the end, a small part of me was thinking TB would Atlanta down the field and into field goal range.

Honestly, it was a gutless decision then and it's a gutless decision now.

They're still not coaching to win. Ugh.

The run and punt was the right decision.

It'd be different if they had a timeout remaining, but they didn't and would have to go about 60 yards in 30 seconds to even kick a field goal.

I can partially blame play calling on that. Shula's tendency is to pack everybody in at the goal line and thus telegraph the play. When you have that many bodies going for the ball, a fumble is more likely.

Would've been a better call to play action there or go 4 wide and run out of the spread. But Shula is too stupid for that

you can blame the coaches all you want but the players need to execute.

so with your logic.............. why isn't every goaline running play fumbled ??

you can blame the coaches all you want but the players need to execute.

so with your logic.............. why isn't every goaline running play fumbled ??

You still don't get it.

Every team every week has turnovers and penalties but most score 20 or 30 plus a game regardless. If you need absolute perfect execution to be a competent offense, then, welp.

Like I mentioned yesterday, there were no "diamonds" on the field yesterday.

DA started the game off sailing balls high over the head of his targets but finished the day with no fumbles or interceptions so he is deemed a rousing success. For a team with only 5 wins now including yesterday, I suppose the bar is quite low.

The D also had its high and low points.

Glad it was the worst team in the NFL or things might have been far different

I Feel the Browns game may be the wake up call from the dream of playoffs. On a brighter note though that Ealy kid is looking good.

Truth is that both the defense and offense deserve credit.  They both did a good job with the exception of penalties on offense which stalled some drives early.  Several drives were stalled with holding penalties and illegal procedure calls. Still that should be expected when you have a back-up quarterback come in after sitting the bench for 12 weeks and having little work with the current guys.  Shula called a very good game IMO but I was there and had no benefit of replay or analysis.  We had almost 400 yards of offense and moved the ball consistently.  Even at the end we were throwing for first downs instead of just running the ball up the middle to run out the clock. Our time of possession was so lopsided it made it easier on the defense as well.  Why did we have trouble in the redzone?  Player execution.  Penalties, fumbles, Anderson missing a wide open Benjamin close to the endzone, etc.  Still what did you expect?  There was another backup quarterback who played yesterday, Manziel.  We say how that worked out.

Teams rarely win with backups and that is why they are career backups.

But lets ignore all the above since we all know that no matter what the facts are, the huddle has their same old whipping dogs.

You still don't get it.

Every team every week has turnovers and penalties but most score 20 or 30 plus a game regardless. If you need absolute perfect execution to be a competent offense, then, welp.

We are averaging 20 points a game regardless of injuries and a ton of issues.  We are a long from good execution let alone perfect execution.

We were also 19th in scoring efficiency last year in the redzone (TDs only)  The difference between the 10th ranked team and the 20th is 6 percentage points.

One reason.we don't score more points per game is that the offense gets little help from the defense or special teams regarding scoring.  The offense scores 97.6% of the points.  We get virtually no help from special teams or the defense.  Compare that to a team like Philly where only 83% of points are scored by the offense.

At least last year for us it was roughly 93%.

Archived