• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Credit the Defense for the Victory

Jeremy Igo

Looking at all the headlines around the local media today, everyone is crediting Derek Anderson for the win. While it is a nice story, I have to disagree. Derek Anderson had a good day, but without the Panthers defense coming out strong in the third quarter, the game would have lost.

The Panthers defense, led by Charles Johnson, gift wrapped a Bucs fumble so close to the Panthers goal line even they could score a touchdown. It was the only Panthers touchdown of the day. The Buccaneers have the 25th ranked defense in the league. 

Coach Rivera noted in his press conference that a team cannot expect to win consistently while kicking field goals. For the Panthers to clinch a playoff birth and more importantly win a playoff game, Mike Shula will need to do something he never has been able to do in his pro and college coaching career. Namely, conduct an offense that scores touchdowns in the red zone.

Here are a few photos of Charles Johnson's dominance, and the Cotchery touchdown that resulted from it.

gallery_1_10_277216.jpg

gallery_1_10_174867.jpg

gallery_1_10_287981.jpg

gallery_1_10_27963.jpg

gallery_1_10_206252.jpg

gallery_1_10_392.jpg

Defense won it, but there were times where the coaching staff seemed to be content playing it safe on offense and letting the defense take care of business.  

Just like Atlanta, difference being Tampa does not have Matt Ryan.

I would prefer going for the jugular against the 25th ranked defense and McCoy standing on the sideline in a knee brace.

Like I mentioned yesterday, there were no "diamonds" on the field yesterday.

DA started the game off sailing balls high over the head of his targets but finished the day with no fumbles or interceptions so he is deemed a rousing success.  For a team with only 5 wins now including yesterday, I suppose the bar is quite low.

The D also had its high and low points.

Glad it was the worst team in the NFL or things might have been far different

wasn't the Jstew fumble at the goal line..............it was the play calling.

gotcha.

No one has mentioned that or the false start penalty we got in the first quarter inside the 10 which stalled out that drive and led to a field goal. Those were two big mistakes that could have resulted in this game not being as close as it was.

Archived