• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Sunday a must win for Ron to keep his job?

Jeremy Igo

nah nah nah buddy you cant blame Ron for all this when your GM takes away all your WR when your QB is hurt and clears the backfield with the broom. This blames go 50/50 HC and FO

I referenced 2 specific games that we lost because of Ron's coaching. Explain how Dave Gettleman chose to play for a tie in Cincinnati and to "take away their timeouts" in Atlanta please "buddy."

As it stands right now, I think he has just enough chips in the bank to keep his job. Rivera earned a lot of chips with the 12-4 season and despite our record thus far, just delivered a huge win in enemy territory against a hated division rival. We saw a glimpse of what we have all been hoping for this season. That very well could have been a fluke but it does make you wonder. The front office is probably wondering the same thing.

Obviously win/lose will be a big factor but just as important is how this team plays in victory or defeat.

I know I am in the minority but I don't think Ron is going anywhere.  Gettleman knew that this team had a large hill to climb in terms of cap space.  We aren't able to put the quality players on the field that Ron needs to be succesful, year in and year out.  We are getting out of cap hell soon, and I believe Ron gets a pass this season.  Besides, Ron got an extension last year and there is no way we can just eat the rest of his contract.  Gettleman has faith in Rivera as per the extension.. with a couple more good drafts by Gettleman, and some horrible contracts off the books we are in business!  It's a process.  Have some faith.

I know I am in the minority but I don't think Ron is going anywhere. Gettleman knew that this team had a large hill to climb in terms of cap space. We aren't able to put the quality players on the field that Ron needs to be succesful, year in and year out. We are getting out of cap hell soon, and I believe Ron gets a pass this season. Besides, Ron got an extension last year and there is no way we can just eat the rest of his contract. Gettleman has faith in Rivera as per the extension.. with a couple more good drafts by Gettleman, and some horrible contracts off the books we are in business! It's a process. Have some faith.

I could agree with all if this as a reason to give Ron a pass for the record we have if it were all there was to it.

The circumstances that forced the decisions on personnel choices I agree he gets some forgiveness on. I agree that it was Hurney's, and to some extent his, decisions that put us in a financial mess. So players had to be replaced, rightly so or not, and you get what we got with little money and limited talent available that would come here on one or two year deals. That's going to change but will take time.

What I do have an issue with is his active/starter personnel decisions and his game preparation and management. He has not improved in any of those areas in 4 years. That in itself is reason for dismissal.

I could agree with all if this as a reason to give Ron a pass for the record we have if it were all there was to it.

The circumstances that forced the decisions on personnel choices I agree he gets some forgiveness on. I agree that it was Hurney's, and to some extent his, decisions that put us in a financial mess. So players had to be replaced, rightly so or not, and you get what we got with little money and limited talent available that would come here on one or two year deals. That's going to change but will take time.

What I do have an issue with is his active/starter personnel decisions and his game preparation and management. He has not improved in any of those areas in 4 years. That in itself is reason for dismissal.

I disagree that we haven't seen improvement in 4 years from Ron.  His first season, Ron was very tepid, no fire, overly cautious.  Do you think Ron would be going for it on 4th and 1 in his first year of head coach?  No way.  His clock management has also improved.

Game prep?  You can't go 12-4 without good game prep.. that season shows he is capable if we have the capable talent on the roster.  This year we are extremely young, as we lose many veterans in the offseason.

Personnel decisions?  These young guys need to develop.  Where they are now is not where they were at the beginning of the season.  He is plugging guys like Andrew Norwell, Benwikere, etc, at the appropriate time and they are making impacts.  These guys have a better understanding of the playbook now, and more than likely would have made many mistakes if they were plugged in earlier in the season.  Let's remember John Fox, who would have played the veteran at all costs, and these young rookies would have never gotten the chance to show what they were made of this season. 

I applaud Ron for the job he's done, and think he definitely deserves another shot to right the ship next season.

I'm sorry but I just can't buy into his Riverboat persona that he seems to have developed into. The fact is he only gambled with in game decisions when he was put on notice that his employment was in jeopardy. He's reverted back to the same tepid coach he was the first two seasons.

He has not won a single game after the bye week. He is woefully out coached in the majority of crucial games.

He's plugging in players because he has to due to injury, not performance. Had his starters not gotten hurt none of these guys would have started. Not because they were too raw or unprepared. That's my observations from the performance on the field. I know a guy doesn't just come off the street and know the playbook right off but for most of these guys it's not that difficult to learn assignments pretty quickly.

I agree he's done an admirable job given his coaching philosophy. I just think he's not the type of coach this team needs going forward.

But I'm just a Panthers fan and my opinion means diddly poo.

I disagree that we haven't seen improvement in 4 years from Ron.  His first season, Ron was very tepid, no fire, overly cautious.  Do you think Ron would be going for it on 4th and 1 in his first year of head coach?  No way.  His clock management has also improved.

Game prep?  You can't go 12-4 without good game prep.. that season shows he is capable if we have the capable talent on the roster.  This year we are extremely young, as we lose many veterans in the offseason.

Personnel decisions?  These young guys need to develop.  Where they are now is not where they were at the beginning of the season.  He is plugging guys like Andrew Norwell, Benwikere, etc, at the appropriate time and they are making impacts.  These guys have a better understanding of the playbook now, and more than likely would have made many mistakes if they were plugged in earlier in the season.  Let's remember John Fox, who would have played the veteran at all costs, and these young rookies would have never gotten the chance to show what they were made of this season. 

I applaud Ron for the job he's done, and think he definitely deserves another shot to right the ship next season.

He went one season where he wasn't overly cautious - 2013 - when he went into it a dead man walking because of what a poor job he had done in 2011 and 2012. His seat was on fire the entire season and he coached his ass off. The second he felt safe he went right back to over-conservative horseshit again and oh hey his 3rd losing season out of 4.

His personnel decisions have us at 4 wins in December. We're going to make our usual end of season/garbage time mini-run because everyone is talking about what an overall poor coach he is and he generally pulls his head out of his rectum and the players rally a little bit when that happens almost every single season since he got the job. If our division wasn't historically bad this year, we'd have been eliminated and talking draft before Thanksgiving.

He's been an absolute failure at HC so far. His ceiling - and this is if the guy completely coaches out of his mind - is Mike Smith/Marvin Lewis. 

I can't think of a worse scenario than losing to an injured, playoff eliminated, 2-11 Bucs team when the Panthers are playing at home with playoff hopes still alive.

Do you feel losing this game warrants a firing?

Yes,I personally  think it would Warrant a firing. However, since this year and next year will be considered rebuilding years,trying to bring  the cap situation under control, i wouldn't bet a lot of money that Rivera will be fired this season.

Archived