• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LOL @ Luke destroying Pierre Thomas

Jeremy Igo

Pretty sure. Blocks in the back are legal on players in the box at the time of the snap, provides the ball hasn't passed put of the box (called the free blocking zone), but to my knowledge it's otherwise illegal.

Ok, I had to look it up.  Here's what the rule says: 

Rule 3, Section 4

A Block in the Back is a block that is delivered from behind an opponent above his waist.  It is not a block in the back:

A- if the opponent turns away from the blocker, or

B- if both the blocker's hands are on the opponent's side. 

Although I didn't say it as clearly, A is what I was referring to.  Thomas had turned his back on Luke and was running away from him when Luke pushed him in his back.  So, based on the rule, Luke did not commit a penalty on that play.

Gotta disagree there - they call that all the time, particularly on punt and kick returns where the defender is often running 'away' from the blocker.  I could certainly be wrong, but a blatant shove in the back of a running/moving player is a block in the back.  I'm not going to post any further because I really don't have any proof, but I bet the spirit of that rule is if a blocker is about to engage and the defender suddenly turns around - would be way too easy to intentionally draw penalties on the offense. 

Archived