• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LOL @ Luke destroying Pierre Thomas

Jeremy Igo

Not so sure that's a block in the back penalty, though. I believe as long as you are blocking in the direction the pay is going that it isn't considered a block in the back...at least that's the way it was a few years ago, but there have been so many rule changes since Roger took over, I could have missed it.

You can't block in the back, period. If that wasn't called, it could/should have been.

Hilarious either way though.

Haha love the second push at the end. Get the fug down!

It's like getting knocked down by a big ass wave at the beach, then just when you think you're about to break free for some air, another big ass wave comes along to bury you again.

You can't block in the back, period. If that wasn't called, it could/should have been.

Hilarious either way though.

Is that a rule change, because that wasn't the case a few years ago.  I remember the announcers talking about it during a game.   As long as the blocker was blocking straight ahead, he is allowed to block any part of the defender. 

Is that a rule change, because that wasn't the case a few years ago. I remember the announcers talking about it during a game. As long as the blocker was blocking straight ahead, he is allowed to block any part of the defender.

Pretty sure you could never blatantly shove a defensive player in the back and have it be legal. Players can be blocked in the back if they're immediately around the LOS after the snap (e.g. a DL spins and the OL hits him, an OT shoves a pass-risher past the QB) but otherwise it's illegal.

Pretty sure you could never blatantly shove a defensive player in the back and have it be legal. Players can be blocked in the back if they're immediately around the LOS after the snap (e.g. a DL spins and the OL hits him, an OT shoves a pass-risher past the QB) but otherwise it's illegal.

Are you sure, or assuming?  Not doubting because I've never actually seen the rule, but when the announcers explained it, I realized that I had never noticed someone called for a block in the back when it was the same direction the play was going.  And since then I've made a point to pay attention, and still have yet to see that called.  I've only seen it called when the block is in the opposite direction that the runner is going or towards the sideline.  That may be why Luke wasn't called for such an obvious play.  After all, I can't imagine something that noticeable was missed by all of the refs, especially when they are looking for infractions.

Archived