• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can you hope again?

Jeremy Igo

The Carolina Panthers just handed the New Orleans Saints their worst loss in the Sean Payton era. While there is some optimism among the Panthers faithful, there is also plenty of doubt. Was Sunday's win an indication that the Panthers are finally ready to get serious, or an aberration provided by a Saints team completely overlooking the Panthers (and who could blame them?).

So now here we are, still alive in the playoffs, raising a single eyebrow at the prospect of a division title and the playoffs. Is it possible? Yes. Probable? Lets take a look.

Dec 14 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Bucs are officially eliminated from the playoffs and rumors swirl of them starting Glennon at QB once again. Typically the Bucs pack it in once they are eliminated from the playoffs which is an annual occurrence. There will be lots of "they love playing the part of the spoiler" talk, but its just talk. The Bucs are not a good team when winning means something. They are awful when it doesn't. Very winnable for the Panthers.

Dec 21 - Cleveland Browns

This will be the most difficult game in December. The Browns are a decent team this year and typically are competitive into the 4th quarter. Yesterday they came within a few seconds of beating the Indianapolis Colts, a much better team than the Panthers. They Cleveland Browns are still in the playoff hunt, but a loss to Cincinnati next week could change that. If so, the Panthers may host the first start of Johnny Manziel ... I like our chances there.

Dec 28 - @ Atlanta Falcons

The last game of the season for the Panthers could be for the division title, or could be two teams out of the playoffs. Last season the Panthers won the division in Atlanta, could it happen again? The Falcons play Green Bay tonight and are expected to lose. Atlanta is very beatable in their own stadium, especially if Jonathan Stewart continues to get the carries.

Cam Newton and Ron Rivera are now 12-3 in December cumulatively. It is very possible for them to win the next three against two bad opponents and one decent one. The Saints could be on a downard spiral after yesterday's thrashing wtih an injured Jimmy Graham and the worst defense in football. If Atlanta loses tonight, the Panthers can end their chances of the post season by winning out. Yes, it could happen. Stranger things have happened.

I know this is asking a lot after this awful stretch of losing, Panthers fans. But can I ask you, at least for another week, to keep a little hope alive?

grinch-heart.jpg

What say you? Are you all in?

Even if we win out we still need the Saints to drop another game. While I know that doesn't sound hard their remaining opponents are the Bears, Falcons, and Bucs. I could definitely see them dropping one of those games, but if they don't we could win out and not make the playoffs. 

Too little too late in my opinion. Ron is not the answer for this team no matter how this season plays out. Yesterday proved that there is talent on this team but it's being misused. Anything can happen as far as playoff chances go but we have the talent to compete and we shouldn't have been in the position to have other teams dictate our destiny in the first place. That's on coaching and it needs to change.

Archived