• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More offensive holding to be called this year

Sword

Peppers might be smiling if he hears of this..

According to stats compiled by the league, officials made 587 offensive holding calls in 2008. It was the second-most called penalty, behind false starts (653) and ahead of offside (313).

As a whole, total penalties were at their lowest point (3,392) since 1992 (3,344).

And the drop in holding calls was noticeable. In 2005, officials threw flags for holding 880 times, a difference of nearly 300.

Pereira said that, in breaking down video of all games from 2008, officials failed to penalize 177 holding calls. He said there were also "about 50 missed calls, for more than 220 mistakes in total."

Pereira added, "From more than 3,200 plays, that's not that bad, but it's something we're working on."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/21/pereira-says-offensive-holding-calls-will-rise/

I want to see more offensive pass interference called. That has to be the most undercalled(is that a word?) penalty in football as a whole.

This preseason the games I have seen actually do seem to be calling it more often which I love also.

They are NOT calling holding more often though,at least so far.

Another area they are effing up is that i am not seeing the latest flag football rule being called at all. You know, the one that was made because Hines Ward delivered a nice clean hit last year and they decided it was too violent? Pretty soon, the Combine will have a drill in which players will be made to fly at a tackling dummy that is being moved to see how fast their reaction time is such that they can, while in MIDAIR, adjust so that they hit a guy only between the shoulders and the thighs. :rolleyes:

Look you are preaching to the choir on that. Am I the only one who sees that players (mainly skill/speed ones like CBs and WRs) don't wear the pads they used to back in the day and the rate of injuries seems to be increasing? I am sure it has a little to do with it. But they sacrifice a lot just to get a billionth of a second of speed. I feel the same about their shoes.

It is ridiculous to believe that with advances in synthetics and composites that there cannot be better equipment that can be developed. Obviously, no one wants to see them in suits of armor but I cannot believe with all the technological advances that are made that we can't make light and unobtrusive equipment that protect much better than what there is.

IMO, there has simply not been enough put into improving the equipment as much as improving the athletes.

Archived