• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where will the QB of our future come from??

bLACKpANTHER

Where will our future QB come from?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Where will our future QB come from?

• Draft
    • Free Agency
    • Matt Moore
    • we will be looking for awhile after Jake is done

Woodie, please don't post things like this when rep is off because I am too senile to remember to come back and do it later.

TIA

:)

Sorry, I'll save all my rep worthy posts for non-gamedays ;). In the meantime, I think I'll just bitch and complain about or DT's, Jake, and maybe even throw in a fire Fox thread...just for good measure. :cool:

I think a lot will depend on Jarrett. Since it is likely that we will need to take a DT high next year, the only other position that we really have some future uncertainty at is WR. If Jarrett takes the next step as we all hope, then that need greatly drops as a priority since we would have our future #2 already in place.

So, if Jarrett does step up, I expect we will take a DT with our first pick (whether it's in the 2nd or if we trade into the 1st), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we take a QB with our next pick...assuming that the depth everyone is talking about is justified. While it is well known that Fox & co. do not like the idea of taking a QB early since it typically takes a few years for them to develop, I believe we might just be in the perfect situation to do so in the 2010 draft. First, we should still have solid starters and decent depth throughout the roster, so there is not the glaring need that we must fill with an early pick (other than DT).

Also, and perhaps most importantly, we will still have Delhomme under contract for a few more seasons. And the way his contract was structured, he is going to be paid like a starter for about the next three years (including this season), so that would give the young gun a couple of years to develop under Jake's tutelage, and then hopefully be ready to step in as the starter. So this may be the season in which the stars align for the Panthers to take a QB within the first 2-3 rounds.

I think the possibility could go up even more if Hurney actually aquires a starting quality DT now. I could see QB 1st pick and DT 2nd pick. However, we do have a couple of guys hitting FA this offseason and you never know what holes could open up between now and the draft.

If we're talking about drafting for the future, weakside linebacker may also be a priority next year. Thomas Davis is gonna be a FA soon, and i dont think we'll be able to sign him AND Beason. Beason is obviously the higher priority and more important of the two. Davis will get a boatload of money thrown at him when he hits the market. Hopefully we can FINALLY start drafting for the future much like Philadelphia and New England, and stop waiting a year too late to replace a player whom we can't re-sign.

Archived