• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where will the QB of our future come from??

bLACKpANTHER

Where will our future QB come from?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Where will our future QB come from?

• Draft
    • Free Agency
    • Matt Moore
    • we will be looking for awhile after Jake is done

I was just talking to a friend about this today... Jason Campbell has the potential to be a steal and provides a starting QB who isn't up there in age. To do this requires Fox either releasing Delhomme or having him as backup, because I seriously doubt Campbell is going to come in and be a backup. Neither actually... considering I highly doubt Fox will put Delhomme as a backup. (at least in the next 2 years)

I'd love to see a QB drafted on the 1st day next year, but we'll see how that goes..

If Pep has another big year, perhaps his stock raises and we can get at least a 1st and 2nd for him. (perhaps more wishful thinking than anything, but reasonable I feel...) Then we can grab a DT and QB in the 1st 2 rounds... I think I'd still rather go DT, but however the chips may fall, so it goes...

Hopefully Matt Moore can do it. I think Jason Campbell will have an "i told you so" season this year, and the Redskins will come running back to him.

If Moore's not the answer, maybe we sign Brian Brohm when his contract runs out. He's not getting any PT with Aaron Rodgers ahead of him and he was fairly highly regarded a few years ago.

Hopefully Matt Moore can do it. I think Jason Campbell will have an "i told you so" season this year, and the Redskins will come running back to him.

If Moore's not the answer, maybe we sign Brian Brohm when his contract runs out. He's not getting any PT with Aaron Rodgers ahead of him and he was fairly highly regarded a few years ago.

Not sure if I really would want Brohm at this point, if he's can't stay ahead of Matt Flynn on the Packers depth chart then I don't think he is an upgrade over our current players.

Believe it or not, that might not necessarily be the case going forward. I heard Frank Garcia on the radio say today that his sources inside the Panthers seriously considered going after Jay Cutler this past offseason (something I hadn't heard or read from any local media).

Pretty sure that was speculation, honestly.

Despite their former player status and their having acquaintances among some remaining players, I doubt either Buckner or Garcia has access to any true "inside info" outside of their own prior experiences. Fox and Hurney wouldn't really have any motivation for keeping former players "in the know".

Personally, I think our best bet will be in the draft. That being said, I don't think we will go to the draft to get a QB. I would like to have Jevan Snead here. I'm a Gators fan, and I still think this guys NFL potential is high. Of course, a lot are saying he will go in the top 10, so it's unlikely we can get him.

A lot of fans are going to be looking at next year's draft, projected to be deep at quarterback, and expecting our QB of the future to come from there.

Possible? Sure, but given the past and the team's usual M.O. I also wouldn't be terribly surprised (especially given the lack of a first rounder) if we went through the draft either without picking a QB at all or only taking one in the lower rounds.

If this happens, the wailing and gnashing of teeth in this place will be epic :sosp:

A lot of fans are going to be looking at next year's draft, projected to be deep at quarterback, and expecting our QB of the future to come from there.

Possible? Sure, but given the past and the team's usual M.O. I also wouldn't be terribly surprised (especially given the lack of a first rounder) if we went through the draft either without picking a QB at all or only taking one in the lower rounds.

If this happens, the wailing and gnashing of teeth in this place will be epic :sosp:

Yep. I think its going to take a personnel overhaul for us to consider a first round QB (when we have a 1st rounder to use). But I would be a little surprised if we didn't draft a QB at all next year. Are McCown and Moore supposed to be free agents next year? If so, it would give us a chance to let one go and groom a draft pick. Unless we just continue grooming what we have.

Both backups are free agents. They're also both guys that Fox likes and could both be re-signed for minimal cash.

If that happens, and then the team doesn't go for a QB in the draft, Zod may have to get new hamsters because the existing ones will die from overwork.

(some of the best drama the world has ever seen never gets Oscar any consideration)

Pretty sure that was speculation, honestly.

Despite their former player status and their having acquaintances among some remaining players, I doubt either Buckner or Garcia has access to any true "inside info" outside of their own prior experiences. Fox and Hurney wouldn't really have any motivation for keeping former players "in the know".

Oh hells bells, if Buckner was involved he probably started that whole rumor himself. He hates Jake.

I think a lot will depend on Jarrett. Since it is likely that we will need to take a DT high next year, the only other position that we really have some future uncertainty at is WR. If Jarrett takes the next step as we all hope, then that need greatly drops as a priority since we would have our future #2 already in place.

So, if Jarrett does step up, I expect we will take a DT with our first pick (whether it's in the 2nd or if we trade into the 1st), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we take a QB with our next pick...assuming that the depth everyone is talking about is justified. While it is well known that Fox & co. do not like the idea of taking a QB early since it typically takes a few years for them to develop, I believe we might just be in the perfect situation to do so in the 2010 draft. First, we should still have solid starters and decent depth throughout the roster, so there is not the glaring need that we must fill with an early pick (other than DT).

Also, and perhaps most importantly, we will still have Delhomme under contract for a few more seasons. And the way his contract was structured, he is going to be paid like a starter for about the next three years (including this season), so that would give the young gun a couple of years to develop under Jake's tutelage, and then hopefully be ready to step in as the starter. So this may be the season in which the stars align for the Panthers to take a QB within the first 2-3 rounds.

Archived