• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things you see in this video....

Jeremy Igo

Can't really get over whether there was a breakdown in communication or what, but having three receivers all running in front of one another only a few yards apart, bringing their man with them, doesn't seem like a great route combination.

Someone had to fug up right?

I know it's been said before, but it seems like Shula does that poo a lot. IMO it has lead to a bunch of tipped passes for INT's due to the routes pulling multiple defenders to the same area.

Has no one ever head of crossing routes? There are countless combinations and every team uses them. One receiver goes high (in this case Benjamin), one goes low (Olsen), and they'll necessarily cross in the middle of the field. That's called the mesh. But when Olsen and KB mesh they're almost 10 yards apart--the video angle is tricky. That's plenty of distance between the two crossing guys.

Stewart's just running a Texas route. That play isn't inherently flawed. Look at where they are when Cam throws the ball. Plenty of space between them. The Vikes were in what looks like it could be a cover 3, and crossing patterns are typically more effective against man defense.

I don't like Shula as much as the next guy, but the design itself doesn't doom this play.

The offensive line protected very well and to the guy that said Trai Turner looked like he didn't know who to block, that's crock of poo. It's a man pass pro scheme, but with only 4 rushers you obviously have an extra guy. Kalil and Turner both have the DT on the snap, but the DT makes a move into the A gap and Kalil squares him up. Then Trai rubs off that guy and goes to help the right tackle handle Brian Robinson--that's good guard play. They're coached to do that and he did it well. Norwell is the only guy that really gets close to being beat, but he still protected well on the play.

Third, Cam's feet are doing what they should be doing. That's all there is too it. There were no happy feet, there were just good feet. If you watch his feet they move with the direction of the receiver he's targeting. His shoulders are nice and level when he releases and he doesn't deliver a bad ball either. If he throws it a little closer to Olsen's body I think he definitely brings it in. Nonetheless, it's catchable--it hits Olsen in the hands--but the Vikings are right on top of it (again, this play works best against man) and the DB is able to break up the pass. Good defense, and a poor play for us to be running against that defense.

That's what I saw at least.

Just wondering what are some observations you all can make from this vine.....

The shot is not really big enough to make an observation. You cant see the corners, the safeties and the other linebacker. But it does look like the drag was open and he let it go. Idk jus not pretty on cams part here he jus looks so uncomfortable.

Without reading what others wrote, Sorry if I repeat sentiments:

1. No WR/TE appears to expect the pass--running about 3/4 speed.  Watch Benjamin turn his head to look back--not at the qb, at the intended target.  That suggests there is no reading going on during the play.  Cam's head appears locked onto the target early, and even though the target is surrounded, attempts to throw the ball into the area where it can't be intercepted--behind the target.

2.  Cam's feet are not settled.  When he decides to throw he has to adjust, causing him to throw harder to get the ball into a closing window.  Instead of stepping into the throw with his left foot, he seems to rush the process, actually pivoting and stepping with his back foot.  This is very minor, but the smallest things impact accuracy.  If #1 is true and everyone knew where the ball was going, it might be because he is thinking (if only in the back of his mind) about running vs. pass instead of going through passing progressions.  This is pure speculation and not necessarily my position, but it is something to consider.

3.  The OL seems able to hold off the defense on the 3-step drop.  Remmers gets a little help from Turner but does not really need it--he does a fine job and has solid footwork.  Norwell and Kalil are solid.  Turner and Bell are not required to do a whole lot; Turner checks to make sure he can vacate his gap and peels back to help Remmers--nicely.  Bell's rusher seems to be in a a soft contain mode more than anything else, so he is able to stonewall him.

Look how long Olsen has to wait for the ball after turning toward the QB.  Olsen looks to the QB, which means the ball could be coming. He takes 2 more steps, sits on the route, raises his hands and bounces BEFORE Cam throws the ball.  I still am assuming that he was the primary (perhaps only) designated target based on Benjamin's route and Cam's head/eyes.  On that route, Olsen should turn, "thousand and one" ball.  Olsen turns, bounces twice, and then the ball arrives behind him a step.  The throw was late getting there.  The window was closing when the ball was thrown, causing Cam to throw it behind the target to prevent an interception.  This is one of the unforced errors that I refer to in other posts.  a 10-yard pass with perfect protection.  He is late and inaccurate. 

Has no one ever head of crossing routes? There are countless combinations and every team uses them. One receiver goes high (in this case Benjamin), one goes low (Olsen), and they'll necessarily cross in the middle of the field. That's called the mesh. But when Olsen and KB mesh they're almost 10 yards apart--the video angle is tricky. That's plenty of distance between the two crossing guys.

Stewart's just running a Texas route. That play isn't inherently flawed. Look at where they are when Cam throws the ball. Plenty of space between them. The Vikes were in what looks like it could be a cover 3, and crossing patterns are typically more effective against man defense.

I don't like Shula as much as the next guy, but the design itself doesn't doom this play.

The offensive line protected very well and to the guy that said Trai Turner looked like he didn't know who to block, that's crock of poo. It's a man pass pro scheme, but with only 4 rushers you obviously have an extra guy. Kalil and Turner both have the DT on the snap, but the DT makes a move into the A gap and Kalil squares him up. Then Trai rubs off that guy and goes to help the right tackle handle Brian Robinson--that's good guard play. They're coached to do that and he did it well. Norwell is the only guy that really gets close to being beat, but he still protected well on the play.

Third, Cam's feet are doing what they should be doing. That's all there is too it. There were no happy feet, there were just good feet. If you watch his feet they move with the direction of the receiver he's targeting. His shoulders are nice and level when he releases and he doesn't deliver a bad ball either. If he throws it a little closer to Olsen's body I think he definitely brings it in. Nonetheless, it's catchable--it hits Olsen in the hands--but the Vikings are right on top of it (again, this play works best against man) and the DB is able to break up the pass. Good defense, and a poor play for us to be running against that defense.

That's what I saw at least

Cam's feet are OK until he delivers ball.  That needs to be tweaked a bit--but that is not the issue.  I am OK with them on this play, although there is room for improvement.

What you say about Turner is spot on.  Turner has no responsibility, so he stays home for a second to make sure there are no delayed blitzes or stunts coming into his gap.  Once he knows this, he peels back perfectly to help Remmers.

The routes are fine.  It was a 3 step drop.  The QB is not sitting there going through 3 progressions to different areas of the field. 

The throw was late, but so much of the speculation depends on the down and distance.  I think this play was third and long-not sure.  If Olsen is not positioned to get a first down then it is hard to imagine him being the primary or only target;if  he is the check down, then an errant throw could have been intentional; Cam protecting his TE and the ball knowing that he was well covered and he was not getting the YAC's needed for a first, so he essentially put it where no bad things could happen.  However, I look at the route KB is running, Cam's head (which is tough to gauge), and Olsen's body language and assume that he was the primary.  He is the only target Cam seems to look at and the only one who seems to expect the ball.  If that is the case, there is no reason Cam was late delivering that pass.

Also , if Cam rushes left on this play, either stewart gets open or he picks up the 1st on the ground. Where's that awareness he showed off in the first 2 seasons? Back then it was like he knew where pressure was even if he couldn't see them. Now he couldn't hear dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant.

What I see is missed opportunity. Plays are often called to bunch the defense up and get them thinking one way while the play you want is going another. (It's easier to see in basketball & hockey.) So I'm thinking, D bunched down low, wr long coverage has got to be man on man. And we have a winner! Can't see the number clear but I think it's Cotchery. KB running a solid route to the sideline would've helped but it was there anyway. A pump fake to Olsen would've further pulled the D to go low before launching it to Cotchery who had gotten nicely behind his man. He then hauls ass to the end zone. It's the type of play that you see Brady & Rodgers do all the time. If you keep your eye in the upper right while watching the video, you'll see that at the point when Cam throws to Olsen, Cotchery was still open.

post-463-0-50157600-1417907272_thumb.png

post-463-0-50157600-1417907272_thumb.png

Archived