• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gaming Computers

sunbunny

Dear god don't get Alienware.. Seriously, if he wants a gaming computer he should make it himself. Otherwise get him a cheapass laptop for schoolwork. At least making your own, you can customize it more easily. Don't have to worry about "WARRANTY VOIDED IF OPENED" crap since each part has it's own warranty.

AW is mad expensive. Also, you don't want to get a laptop for gaming, to get the power needed to play games it's twice as much as a desktop that can play games, plus probably very heavy for a laptop. Building your own own for about 1k is prob the best bet. If he's that into gaming it's probably a good investment to learn to build your own. It's simple, trust me. He'll probably build quite a few in his life so it may be worth it.

Also, the comment about buying in the "middle" is a good one. I usually buy middle of the road technology and that usually works fine. Video cards usually need changed every 2-3 years though while games get better.

Pretty sure they send you step by step instructions,

Step by Step in the most asinine way possible, sure. The thing is, most instructions that come with components assume the builder has done this prior. While I agree building it yourself is the best option, one of the easiest ways is to buy a good rig and upgrade the ram/graphics card, a friend of mine did that and got out of it spending around $650.

-DP

depends on the components really, if you get the right motherboard and a case worth a darn, its childs play now. if you have color coded and labeled headers on the motherboard and a case with labeled connectors it easy. heck 1st time mine booted it got the correct settings (+ for id tags, -locked multipliers) to fire up. if you can use a screw driver and push 1 way connectors together you can build a pc. if you can read 2 pages in the manual u can get the bios settings right (if you even have to change them).

the big downers to building your own: drivers and manual labor required. neither imo are a big enough problem to get a prebuilt with bloatware.

Do I look like I know how to build my own?

It is insanely easy. I had never built my own before when purchased all the parts from Newegg ($1300....Dell had me quoted at around $2800 for the same specs).

1. Unpack Everything
  2. Install the CPU in your motherboard
  3. Attach motherboard to case
  4. Put in power supply and plug it in, but leave it off.
  5. Insert your DVD ROM and/or burner to your IDE port
  6. Install your RAM
  7. Connect your SATA HDD to the motherboard
  8. Install your PCI cards (Graphics, Sound etc)
  9. Make all connections to motherboard (IE, Firewire, USB, etc)
  10. Close your case up and fire up your computer with your OS disk in the drive
  11. Once your OS is installed, install all drivers for everything that came with your system
  12. Finished

You can buy step-by-step magazines (with pictures!!) at Borders. They are about $7 and incredibly easy to follow.

huge discount alert:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA73402

nvidia gtx280 for $280, with a $20 mail in rebate (MIR), so thats $260 for a card that is a babystep down from their newest. this is a huge instant rebate. if i was building one right now, this is what i would go after. heck if i was builing in the next 2 months i would get it now and sit on it. the new gtx285 just came out and i doubt the gtx280 go this low, as they arnt that far off in performance. its not the monster gtx295, but this will run everything and then some. unless he is getting a monster monitor that runs 1920x1200 or above, its gona be darn good for a very long time.

also mwave is a very good online retailer. i am actually considering getting this and ditching my "old" 8800gt. this card will run anything and everything at rediculous resolutions.

I think the nvidia cards are either overpriced right now, or the comparable ATIs are just significantly cheaper. I just bought a 4850 for $150 that really kicks ass.

Also, for power supplies I would suggest this. It has plenty of power and runs quite and cool.

overpriced???????

the gtx280 can run neck and neck with ati's 4870x2. its $400. they arnt that far off in price. heck the new gtx285 is gona retail at $380 compared to the 4870 x2 at $400. the x2 is a marginally better card, but you gona pay 20 bucks for a few frames a second faster on average for an ati? or 140 more than the gtx280?

agreed that the lower model cards generally shift towards ati in price, but the gtx 280 is not a lower end card, its right near the top still.

like that psu as well.

I'm not aware of what the benchmarks are or what's considered high end these days. I just know I got a 4850 that can run games that just came out recently on the highest settings. It just seems to me the best bang for your buck right now is with the ATIs - if a 4850 is low end, then I need nothing more than a lowend card. ;)

Archived