• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gaming Computers

sunbunny

I used to build mine from the ground up, but the time and research it takes vs. the money saved, warranty headaches, made me finally give it up. If I had to have the absolute best stuff then yes, I would build a custom machine and save some decent money. But for lower end stuff....meh its more of a "fun" thing than a "money saving" thing to me -

Alienware is WAY overrated. You can get a Dell that's focused towards gaming and it'll be pretty much the same at 1/2 the price(Dell owns AW anyway).

Really the most important thing is a good video card. You can spend $200 and get a very good card that will run any game out there(something like this - very quick search). But then it's a matter of if you have a AGPx16, a good power supply and suitable cooling.

Anything more than a video card and it get's more complex, but if your son is really into it then he can learn himself. I can normally get a system that's equal to a $1000 Dell with about $600.

I used to build mine from the ground up, but the time and research it takes vs. the money saved, warranty headaches, made me finally give it up. If I had to have the absolute best stuff then yes, I would build a custom machine and save some decent money. But for lower end stuff....meh its more of a "fun" thing than a "money saving" thing to me -

For me I like doing the research and finding a sweet spot in pricing. I never get top of the line stuff, always a step down - saves a LOT of money. And I stagger my upgrades so I rarely spent a big hunk of cash at a time.

Do I look like I know how to build my own?
Pretty sure they send you step by step instructions, if it's for Ty make him build it himself. Or have father/son time. It's not that bad. If you can program a DVR and put together cheap furniture, you can do it!

I just gutted my HP rig I got in February. Only thing original is the DVD-R on it. Got some RAM if you want it. lol

Dell makes good laptops, I've owned the M1210 and now currently own an M1530. Go onto their website and you can build your own computer. For middle of the road gaming you'd probably be ok with 2 GB RAM with a 128 MB video card and about 1.8 GHz processor. If you're looking to play the current high end games (like Crysis) you'll need more RAM, a better video card (at least 256 MB) and probably at least 2.2 GHz processor.

Archived