• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Gettleman Poll

Jeremy Igo

Fire Gettleman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Fire Gettleman?

• Yes
    • No

You say GMs have failed Rivera, and yet some of the worst acquisitions have been guys Rivera championed (Legedu Naanee, Seyi Ajirotutu, and OC Mike Shula, for example).

Throw in that for most of the 2012 season, Rivera actually had final say on player decisions (after Hurney was fired).

Coach speak.  He had some Charger ties and believed the fluff. Furthermore, Rivera was still learning how to be a coach.  He had no business trying to play GM.  Of course that's the position he was left in. That's not a recipe for success.

Like most, I voted no. It's too early.

However, I also agree with those saying the honeymoon is over. This organization has been re-building since 2010. Enough is enough.

If Dave should make the unfortunate decision to keep Rivera and staff intact this offseason, then my opinion of him would plummet to rock bottom. He needs to do what must be done, and look high and low for the absolute best candidate, not just someone he knows or someone that won't fug up too bad.

As another poster stated, "A" grade for year 1 and "F" for year 2. We need at least a solid "B" in 2015 for him to continue to be the guy.

Coach speak.  He had some Charger ties and believed the fluff. Furthermore, Rivera was still learning how to be a coach.  He had no business trying to play GM.  Of course that's the position he was left in. That's not a recipe for success.

It's not coach speak when you actually hire the guy and start him (like he did with Antoine Cason, for example).

And that's this season.  If he's still "learning to coach" in his fourth season as a head coach, then we've got issues.

It's not coach speak when you actually hire the guy and start him (like he did with Antoine Cason, for example).

And that's this season.  If he's still "learning to coach" in his fourth season as a head coach, then we've got issues.

Gettleman is the personnel guy.  Gettleman is the GM.  Gettleman is the one ultimately responsible for gambling with the O-line, the secondary, and the receivers this season.

As for learning to coach, I think that there is always something to be learned in any job that you do---particularly if you're still relatively young at a position---otherwise you stop growing.  I will submit to you that the main issue that Ron has had this season is largely of his own making: Shula. But,  the close second is personnel. That's Gettleman's supposed cup of tea.

Any coach would appear to have issues with this squad, and very well would (and I've already explained this).

Gettleman is the personnel guy.  Gettleman is the GM.  Gettleman is the one ultimately responsible for gambling with the O-line, the secondary, and the receivers this season.

As for learning to coach, I think that there is always something to be learned in any job that you do---particularly if you're still relatively young at a position---otherwise you stop growing.  I will submit to you that the main issue that Ron has had this season is largely of his own making: Shula. But,  the close second is personnel. That's Gettleman's supposed cup of tea.

Any coach would appear to have issues with this squad, and very well would (and I've already explained this).

Gettleman gives Rivera a say in personnel matters.  Per his own statements on draft day, it's a collaborative effort between them.

And that, in my opinion, is a big mistake.

Gettleman gives Rivera a say in personnel matters.  Per his own statements on draft day, it's a collaborative effort between them.

And that, in my opinion, is a big mistake.

I don't know a coach that doesn't have a say in personnel matters. Gettleman has touted his own horn regarding personnel, and, as he himself has said before, he makes the final decision.  No need to overstate Rivera's opinion, because the personnel guru, with the big ego, is the one ultimately making the decision.

Firing a GM after 2 seasons is a Browns move. Gettleman came in from day 1 saying that we'll be in cap hell rebuilding for at least 2 years. He needs time to see through his vision.

Yes we will be cap challenged.

That doesn't however ezcuse all Dave's poor moves in addition to that. Dave followed up a great entrance to 2013 by basically having everything after the start of 2013 start blowing up on his face

I'm a Gettleman fan, but if he doesn't fire Rivera after this season I will no longer be.

How can he fire a HC he just extended.....

When the talent drop off he gave the head coach was so noticeable and obvious.

He gave his HC the worst opening day OL and secondary in all the NFL. Then he completely gutted a WR corp.

All that is a FO setting the table for a losing season. Nothing changed with Ron. Just makes his flaws reappear....

Well this poll is as of now.

If we can just wait another year and see, there isn't much point is there?

I hear ya, at this point I would say no, keep Getts.

I think the Panthers are at a crossroads and a better Coaching staff is needed to capitalize on the talent on the roster and the talent to come. Otherwise we'll continue to slide down the sewer.

I hope inside BofA the same urgency is felt and the right strings are pulled.

Archived