• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Gettleman Poll

Jeremy Igo

Fire Gettleman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Fire Gettleman?

• Yes
    • No

No, that would be pretty foolish to fire him now. Give him at least one more season.

But plain and simple, the built in excuses and free pass he received when he got here went right out the window with the 2014 season. It's put up or shut up now. I don't want to hear anymore bullshit about the salary cap, or Marty Hurney. It's all Dave Gettleman now from here.

He also needs to accept accountability for some of his offseason moves which clearly backfired to put it kindly.

I see/hear people mentioning Brandon LaFell as a great WR that Dave Gettleman had the audacity to let go. I remember him as never catching balls thrown right at him and them bouncing off his chest time and time again, especially on 3rd down. I know he is doing well in NE, but he never did that here. Am I the one with the revisionist history or is it them? Good lord.

I see/hear people mentioning Brandon LaFell as a great WR that Dave Gettleman had the audacity to let go. I remember him as never catching balls thrown right at him and them bouncing off his chest time and time again, especially on 3rd down. I know he is doing well in NE, but he never did that here. Am I the one with the revisionist history or is it them? Good lord.

He was never great here.  I'm not sure he's "great" in New England either, but it's obvious he's getting better coaching.

Rivera's coach of the year performance has turned out to be a fluke, plain and simple.

Last year was the first year that Ron Rivera really had anything resembling a complete team, and we all know that that was a stretch.  He coached it to 12-4. And, yet you call that a fluke.  By your reasoning, I could call Gettleman's first year a fluke as well.

I voted no only because of the garbage he's had to deal with from Hurney.

He very well may be an awful GM who turns players off to this team with his cut throat style, but I think we need to see him build it his way before we make that determination.

Last year was the first year that Ron Rivera really had anything resembling a complete team, and we all know that that was a stretch.  He coached it to 12-4. And, yet you call that a fluke.  By your reasoning, I could call Gettleman's first year a fluke as well.

I have four years to judge Rivera on.

Gettlleman has two.

No. He's got a plan and some good pieces to build around. We'd be lauding him if Hardy hadn't gotten nixed and Bene didn't get injured.

Ealy is gonna be a good one in a couple years, Trai and Benjamin are studs. Just hoping Cam can get through this wreck of a season and hang on for what this FO is building towards.

I want Vic Beasley as our #1 pick and I want CJ and DWill off the books. Pick up another explosive skill player and some fresh draft able hog mollies and we will be fine.

He's got the core for a truly dynamic team...injuries and sorry FA killed us this season.

If he keeps Shula around another season my esteem for DG will drop big-time.

I want Pep Hamilton

I haven't seen him successfully integrate a run game into the NFL but I do like the fact that Pep doesn't do the same thing over and over..

Pep has shown he will adjust his game plan to maximize his players strengths.

Rivera seems really slow to adjust his approach. He is an assinine chess player. He refuses to change as the game evolves and he casts blame on his players like a coward.

I have four years to judge Rivera on.

Gettlleman has two.

I understand your point completely. I just don't necessarily agree with it on its face.  

Rivera inherited an absolutely horrible team, gutted of a lot of veteran leadership.  The team was absolutely horrendous. Since he has been here, some things have gotten better, some worse.  The GM's have always been a day late and a dollar short when it comes to filling the holes since Ron has been here. It's kind of like envisioning a man using all of his extremities filling up holes in a damn (similar to a Twister game).  Last year, Dave did a fine job of filling the holes, and Rivera really over excelled with the talent he had. Well, this year Dave did a god awful job of filling holes. The secondary and the O-line have gaping holes.  There is no shutoff valve.  There is no capstone at LT, which can't be for a team that has any chance to field a consistently competitive team week in and week out. Other than Norman, Kalil, and possibly Decoud (possibly), there arguably aren't any other players among them that should be starting.  Even the rookies shouldn't be starting because of the dearth of veteran leadership.   Not to mention that, arguably, we only have one WR that would be starting on any other NFL team (and he may not even be starting on most of the teams that are in the hunt).

Now I will say that Rivera has made some gaffs this year. He has, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  But I believe that this can largely be fixed by hiring an OC that is worth a damn (and possibly a QB coach). ironically, the guy that Rivera promoted may be Rivera's biggest downfall.  You and others will probably get your wish, because the Sharks are circling.  I just would have liked to see what Rivera could do with better talent.

I understand your point completely. I just don't necessarily agree with it on its face.  

Rivera inherited an absolutely horrible team, gutted of a lot of veteran leadership.  The team was absolutely horrendous. Since he has been here, some things have gotten better, some worse.  The GM's have always been a day late and a dollar short when it comes to filling the holes since Ron has been here. It's kind of like envisioning a man using all of his extremities filling up holes in a damn (similar to a Twister game).  Last year, Dave did a fine job of filling the holes, and Rivera really over excelled with the talent he had. Well, this year Dave did a god awful job of filling holes. The secondary and the O-line have gaping holes.  There is no shutoff valve.  There is no capstone at LT, which can't be for a team that has any chance to field a consistently competitive team week in and week out. Other than Norman, Kalil, and possibly Decoud (possibly), there arguably aren't any other players among them that should be starting.  Even the rookies shouldn't be starting because of the dearth of veteran leadership.   Not to mention that, arguably, we only have one WR that would be starting on any other NFL team (and he may not even be starting on most of the teams that are in the hunt).

Now I will say that Rivera has made some gaffs this year. He has, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  But I believe that this can largely be fixed by hiring an OC that is worth a damn (and possibly a QB coach). ironically, the guy that Rivera promoted may be Rivera's biggest downfall.  You and others will probably get your wish, because the Sharks are circling.  I just would have liked to see what Rivera could do with better talent.

You say GMs have failed Rivera, and yet some of the worst acquisitions have been guys Rivera championed (Legedu Naanee, Seyi Ajirotutu, Antoine Cason and OC Mike Shula, for example).

Throw in that for most of the 2012 season, Rivera actually had final say on player decisions (after Hurney was fired).

Archived