• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sporting News projects that Rivera will be fired on Black Monday (Dec 29)

gettlemanjack

Regardless of why, he was fired with eight years and a lot of dollars still due him.

When you look back at the records, John Fox is the only head coach that's lasted more than four years here.  A big part of that is likely because he took the team to a Super Bowl in his second season.  he had that to fall back on during losing seasons, none of which by the way were as bad as this year.

I seriously doubt Rivera's record last year, especially given the embarrassing playoff loss, gives him enough capital to save himself from this season's disaster.  And make no mistake, this is not just a losing season.  It's an absolute embarrassment.

Yeah, I just keep going back to JR's more recent quote about not paying two coaching staffs - although I think Fox and his staff at that point were much more well compensated than Rivera and his staff are. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for firing Rivera - I've seen what I needed to see. 

Yeah, I just keep going back to JR's more recent quote about not paying two coaching staffs - although I think Fox and his staff at that point were much more well compensated than Rivera and his staff are. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for firing Rivera - I've seen what I needed to see. 

Fox had a Super Bowl appearance on his resume' and had never fallen below 7-9 at the time.

You could justify giving him one final shot to show he was worth it. 

Not that I agree with it, but I think Rivera gets one more year as long as he's willing to fire Shula and Rodgers and replace them with assistants that meet Dave Gettleman's approval. Up to this point, I think Rivera has had full control of his coaching staff and those days are over.

I don't think so. The reason I don't is because who would want to come here with Rivera more then likely being on the hot seat to start the season? JR has to make change now because if he doesn't this could hurt Cam's development if Rivera can't turn things around with a new staff. I'm not sure what's going to happen but I don't think Ron is here next season.

In fairness, and I do not necessarily believe in Rivera, but I do not believe any coach could have won with the personnel this year.

Vince Lombard would have been hard pressed to get 8 and 8 out of this team

That said, his staff must change and that is the oxymoron. If he stays, we are right back where we where two years ago that brought us the Shula show.

In fairness, and I do not necessarily believe in Rivera, but I do not believe any coach could have won with the personnel this year.

Many coaches could have at least been competitive.

We are getting blown out on a consistent basis. The only way that happens is if the players completely stop believing in the system.

Many coaches could have at least been competitive.

We are getting blown out on a consistent basis. The only way that happens is if the players completely stop believing in the system.

Completely agree

I just think if we are giving players a pass for that slop Gettleman put out there this year, why is Ron not exempt. Better players last year..,or better chemistry and we were at least competitive

No way do I think Rivera should be kept. Just think he will be...hard to justify going from c of y to fired in 10 months plus that little extension from our boy Dave

Fox had a Super Bowl appearance on his resume' and had never fallen below 7-9 at the time.

You could justify giving him one final shot to show he was worth it. 

Understand all that, but JR himself asked why he should pay for another coaching staff when he's already paying for one (don't recall his exact words) so you could apply that same logic to Rivera who just signed a 3 year extension. If the 3 year extension was Gettleman's call, it look pretty bad for him to fire a coach right on the heels of giving him a 3 year deal. 

I don't know what will happen, just pointing out some of the complexities and politics involved. 

Understand all that, but JR himself asked why he should pay for another coaching staff when he's already paying for one (don't recall his exact words) so you could apply that same logic to Rivera who just signed a 3 year extension. If the 3 year extension was Gettleman's call, it look pretty bad for him to fire a coach right on the heels of giving him a 3 year deal.

I don't know what will happen, just pointing out some of the complexities and politics involved.

I get that, but again with Fox, even if he failed, you were only talking about one year.

Do you think Jerry Richardson would be willing to put up with three more years of what we're watching now?

I'm not buying it.

Archived