• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spartanburg stay a bit shorter for Panthers

Rod Butsecks

Once again, was responding to thread title, and another posters "wanting to know" question. I stated it clearly, and that I don't agree with it according to how we looked in our first game, not to mention every year is the same. I know on the schedule it says the last day was to be the 20th, but it also says.........TO BE DETERMINED. ;)

Any luck with those cards? :confused:

Link???

I think I do have some cards left I'll send you.

As for the link, I can't find it right now, but the NFL limits the number of practices a team can have before its first preseason game. I think it's 15. With Labor Day being late, that meant the NFL season was late, meaning our first preseason game was late, meaning we couldn't start practice any earlier.

CORRECTION: It's 15 days, not 15 practices. Found a reference in a story about the 49ers ... still looking for a better link.

I think I do have some cards left I'll send you.

As for the link, I can't find it right now, but the NFL limits the number of practices a team can have before its first preseason game. I think it's 15. With Labor Day being late, that meant the NFL season was late, meaning our first preseason game was late, meaning we couldn't start practice any earlier.

If you do, I would be tickled to death PL....thanks.

I didn't know about that rule, but that is interesting. Have to check into it.

PL is right, it's a rule.

I'm not saying they have to OMGWTFBBQ have all two a days or it's teh doom or what have you. I'm not saying the guys should never get an unexpected day off or whatever, because I do think they need to be thrown a bone or two during TC when they have been doing well. I'm saying it always seems light. I'm saying that it never seems to correlate that I am aware of with how well they have been practicing. That's all. I may be way off base, it's just the impression I get.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2009/07/your-training-camp-schedule.html

If you're wondering why the Panthers start training camp later than most other teams (they report Sunday, begin practicing on Monday), it's because their first preseason game isn't until Aug. 17 against the Giants and NFL teams can practice for no more than 15 days before their first game.

also,

here's a list of all teams who's TCs were finished on or before the panthers last one.

cards (20th)

bills (19th)

bears (20th)

bengals (18th)

cowboys (19th)

broncos (20th)

lions (20th)

colts (19th)

jaguars (13th)

chiefs (20th)

dolphins (20th)

vikings (12th)

pats (18th)

seahawks (20th)

bucs (19th)

with the exception of a couple teams the rest are going to be wrapped up by the 25th or 27th.

here's the thing about training camp. it is a tradition. it isn't special practices. for some teams it's a chance for the team to get away and bond some and eliminate distractions. it is also for the public.

after training camp is over they can go back to their own facilities and work on stuff that they don't want anyone to see. they are closed practices. the ones that i would rather they have more of.

i love training camp and getting to see what they do but i am more glad that they have extra time to work out the special stuff that they will be the next few weeks.

training camp is for basic prep work for the season. what they are getting ready to do now is the more detailed work.

The only BONUS about being done with training camp is;

Now the coaches can start installing the new plays and set-ups for this season.

These practices will be closed to the media (from reporting about schemes and such) so the coaches can really focus on what they intend to do for the season.

NFL rules (I believe) say you can't start training camp until exactly two weeks before your first preseason game. We started on a Monday and our first game was last Monday in New York. That is why we started after everyone else.

Jake, still doesn't clarify the fact that we end early every year(according to the media).

Still doesn't change the fact that we could still be practicing if we wanted to do so.

who says that they aren't going to be practicing?

practice doesn't end when training camp ends.

training camp isn't that big of deal except for the fans.

practice continues throughout the year.

they aren't practicing today because they are on the bus to miami.

when camp is ended earlier it is only a matter of a couple days....not a week or a couple weeks.

when camp ends they move everything to charlotte and have all their practices closed to the public but they still do pretty much everything that they would during training camp.

it isn't going to impact how well they do or don't do.

read what you want to. worry about what you want to. call me whatever you want to.

it doesn't change the fact that they are still going to be practicing a lot and able to accomplish everything that they need to. they have the same amount of time and opportunity to improve what they need to.

Thank God i never discussed Jake and his split personality with you.

Mr. Defender of Panther Nation.

How do you know they are on a bus, and didn't fly? Also....if they are on a bus, why DIDN'T they fly. Bus rides are tiresome, and very limited in practice space, and take so much more time than flying, which really doesn't have any practice space either.

:gnorsi:

Archived