• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would fox pull jake?

ncguy2184

you don't pull your starting QB b/c of 3 turnovers....unless you are looking to make a permanant move.

Matt Cassell? He is a horrific QB....you will see this year. BB is just a great coach. The dink and dunk made Cassell look good w/ WR/RB doing all the work after the catch. BB tailored a new offensive scheme around Cassell b/c he sucked so bad. Terrific coaching....nothing more. Now THAT, is something to wish for.

hey mcnabb got pulled last year for half of a game and look where they ended up at where we wanted to be nfc chapionship

just saying :)

First of all you dont allow your QB to get to 6 turnovers. You pull him after 3 unless ur up by 20. Jake wasnt pulled and thats telling me we dont have a viable backup that Fox believes in so why have them on the team. Jakes not a young man in football years and think hes seen his better days. Hes been decent and has mostly played well. We need his replacement on the team now that can step in and play....i.e. New England and Matt Castle.

When was the last time a QB was pulled in the middle of a playoff game for poor performance? Ever? And Jake's performance wasn't the worst by a long shot.

You want to sum up his entire career in one game, and judge him by that. Fortunately, we have smarter people running the club.

The way you guys act, we could have Brady, Manning, and Rivers on the roster and Fox would still start Jake. That's just dumb. As long as Jake gives us the best chance to win, he'll be lining up under center. The minute Fox feels otherwise, in comes the hook. It's business, not personal.

I don't think Fox will pull Jake unless he has consecutive terrible games early. Since we are a primarily running team, I don't see that happening. That being said, if somehow Jake does have consecutive terrible games, I think Fox may pull Jake. If Fox feels like he is potentially on the hot seat, he may be more willing to in order to save his job.

hey mcnabb got pulled last year for half of a game and look where they ended up at where we wanted to be nfc chapionship

just saying :)

if the backup had put in just an ok perforance.....McNabb was done in Philly. That is simply how it works....the backup just played even worse....so Reid had no choice and went back to McNabb.

Let me get this right...

Fox is an idiot because he is too loyal to guys like Morgan, Colbert and Foster but Fox is also an idiot because he is not loyal at all like with Brown and Witherspoon.

Fox is an idiot because he continues to start Delhomme as the QB but Fox is also an idiot because he had Weinkie as the backup (although half the fan base wanted him to start).

Fox is an idiot because he traded a defensive lineman just because he didn't want to be a Panther anymore in Jenkins but Fox is also an idiot because he didn't trade a defensive lineman when he didn't want to be a Panther anymore in Peppers.

Do some of you realise how much of an idiot you look like when you make these contridicting comments?

When was the last time a QB was pulled in the middle of a playoff game for poor performance? Ever? And Jake's performance wasn't the worst by a long shot..

Just cause it may have never happened doesnt mean its right. Nobody that played like that ever won the game. I understand that its not all his fault after all he only has one receiver to throw to and he is always doubled. Unless Jarrett has a miracle happen its going to be more of the same in the passing game.

That game was the second lowest point in Panther history. Lets not bullshit each other.

You want to sum up his entire career in one game, and judge him by that. Fortunately, we have smarter people running the club.

I said hes been mostly decent and has done well for the most part but if he didnt have Smity to throw to he would not have had near the success he had. He was servicable and kept a cool head most games.

The way you guys act, we could have Brady, Manning, and Rivers on the roster and Fox would still start Jake. That's just dumb. As long as Jake gives us the best chance to win, he'll be lining up under center. The minute Fox feels otherwise, in comes the hook. It's business, not personal.

LOL... Yeah, Fox is stubborn. And this is my point, Jake gives us the best chance to win because he is the only chance...

Just cause it may have never happened doesnt mean its right. Nobody that played like that ever won the game. I understand that its not all his fault after all he only has one receiver to throw to and he is always doubled. Unless Jarrett has a miracle happen its going to be more of the same in the passing game.

That game was the second lowest point in Panther history. Lets not bullshit each other.

Actually, when I was researching my "Doomed with Delhomme" article I found some worse performances in winning efforts, but I'm too lazy to dig them up. Jake's game in Oakland comes to mind though, that was worse.

As far as a low point, I don't know. At least we got there, and speaking as someone who was around for Kerry Collin's meltdown, the whole Rae Carruth thing, and 1-15 I think there have been plenty of contenders for low points.

I said hes been mostly decent and has done well for the most part but if he didnt have Smity to throw to he would not have had near the success he had. He was servicable and kept a cool head most games.
Jakes best year was 2004, when Smith was out. Smith's worst year since 2002 came in 2007, when Jake was out. Who makes who again? That whole argument is old and busted. If you want to hate on Jake, and if you want intelligent and informed fans to listen to you, then please come up with new material.

LOL... Yeah, Fox is stubborn. And this is my point, Jake gives us the best chance to win because he is the only chance...
Yeah, we should have gotten Jason Campbell or Kyle Orton in 2005, or signed a wrecked Kurt Warner off waivers. Wait, 2004 was Jake's best year, and he went to the Pro Bowl. Maybe at the time it made sense to be happy with what we had. And Fox was busy being blindly loyal to Weinke...

Do you think we should have drafted Kellen Clemmens or Tavaris Jackson instead of DeAngelo Williams in 2006? Hindsight says we shoudl have signed Brees, Kitna, or maybe Garcia, but the salary cap at the time said otherwise and Jake didn't exactly have a terrible year.

I know, instead of trading down and getting Beason and Kalil, we could have traded up and nabbed Brady Quinn, or we could have gotten Kevin Kolb, Trent Edwards, or Troy Smith instead of Kalil. Would that have made us a better team? Maybe we could have signed David Carr. Oh, wait...

Of course, Jake was out in 2007, but in the three games he did play his rating was well over 100. Could that explain why they didn't mortgage the franchise to trade up for Ryan or Flacco? Well, we could have had Flacco but I don't think our defense would have carried him the same way Baltimore's did. I do think we may have snatched Chad Henne if he had been available in the third, but he wasn't. I also don't blame management for passing on Rex Grossman or Daunte Culpepper in Free Agency.

So we're in 2008, and we go out and get McCown, hold on to Moore, and grab Cantwell.

Seriously, how or when would we have a better quarterback AND team than Jake and the Panthers right now? I have to throw that "and team" in because I know someone out there is thinking that they can make a magic trade of Peppers, Williams, and Beason for Rivers or something equally stupid. Without a good crystal ball, you've got nothing better than what we already have. Jake has a better winning percentage than all those guys, the team respects him, and he has a few years left.

I really, truly believe that we'll get a young quarterback high in the draft this year. The class is deep and it's time. And as soon as we get him the threads will appear yelling for him to start.

But if Fox sticks to his guns and plays Jake (despite all the protests of loyalty) until the young'un is ready, then we WILL have a franchise QB. If he throws the kid to the wolves, then we'll end up looking for the next third string undrafted QB to come in and provide us a spark.

Quarterback of the future? What newspapers were YOU reading? Jake was the QB of the future in his hometown rag maybe, but he was a backup on the Saints and was third on the depth chart when Fox put him in.

This whole topic is retarded. If Jake goes out against the Eagles and can't move the offense and throws a bunch of picks then look for McCown or Moore in the second half. If Jake goes the entire year playing well, then he'll get more chances because you don't tinker with the starting lineup of a successful team late in the season.

No one is safe. These guys are in the business of winning games and all of those decisions are made with that in mind. If football was sentimental then Favre would still be in Green Bay and we would have kept Stephen Davis around for another year.

That you don't remember or can't acknowledge the importance the Panthers put on acquiring Jake in the first place says more about what YOU might have read or circles YOU ran in. Jake was talked up endlessly by all affiliated with the team, he was considered the best PROSPECT the team had acquired since drafting Collins, and that includes Steve Beuerlein. The buzz at the start of the 2003 season was all about the opportunity to see Jake in action if Peete faltered, which, of course, he did in the first game that year against Jax.

That you don't remember or can't acknowledge the importance the Panthers put on acquiring Jake in the first place says more about what YOU might have read or circles YOU ran in. Jake was talked up endlessly by all affiliated with the team, he was considered the best PROSPECT the team had acquired since drafting Collins, and that includes Steve Beuerlein. The buzz at the start of the 2003 season was all about the opportunity to see Jake in action if Peete faltered, which, of course, he did in the first game that year against Jax.

Um, I guess?

The Panthers certainly weren't excited enough about Jake to even mention him in their free agent column ten days after he was signed:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030813221541/www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=5452

I can't even find an article about him on the Panthers site from when he was signed. Maybe he turned it on in Training camp.

Sorenson liked the signing, and maybe the reason I don't remember all the predictions of greatness is because I never really pay a ton of attention to him: http://web.archive.org/web/20030412021830/www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/5336070.htm

Sounds like a column that's more about how the Panthers have learned not to get the high-priced guys than finding a diamond-in-the-rough to me, actually.

Here's what PantherInsider.com had to say:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030407074818/panthers.theinsiders.com/2/97325.html

I'm sorry I don't remember all the big predictions, but I don't have perfect recall. I do remember people being excited about the potential Stephen Davis was bringing, and Ricky Proehl, and can even find articles saying so. I just can't find the ones about the player who turned out to be our biggest signing of all.

Maybe you can help out huh? :)

Archived