• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good Article on HOOOOV

Sultan33g

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/423/story/898114.html

SPARTANBURG Brad Hoover came to the Carolina Panthers 10 seasons ago from Ledford High in Thomasville and from Western Carolina University. He was a free agent, a rookie and an unknown.

Green Bay came to Charlotte the same season Hoover did for a “Monday Night Football” game. Despite the presence of Brett Favre, who at this point had yet to retire, Hoover became known.

He rushed for 124 yards, caught three passes for 41 and ripped off one run for 35. The Panthers hammered Green Bay 31-14, and Carolina unveiled the unlikeliest of home-grown stars.

Those of us who were there talk about Hoover's performance the way some people talk about Woodstock. Although time lends itself to exaggeration, we remember Hoover running with the moves of DeAngelo Williams, the power of Jonathan Stewart and the speed of Mike Goodson.

The next season George Seifert shifted Hoover to fullback. And except for 2004, when almost every running back on the roster was injured, Hoover has remained a fullback since.

Ever think about that Monday night?

“It seems like yesterday,” Hoover says Wednesday, an ice pack around his right elbow. “That night felt so special and it's still a special part of my memories here from Carolina. I don't know that it happens again. But it's nice to think back and imagine that it would.”

Hoover was a running back in high school and college, and given an opportunity he would be a running back today.

“I think anybody in their right mind wants the ball in their hands,” he says.

Hey, I have an idea for a column. HOOVER TO PANTHERS: GIVE ME THE BALL OR ELSE.

Compact at 6 feet and 240 pounds, with legs thicker than some toddlers, Hoover thinks before he answers. Then he answers.

“The guys we have running the ball are far and away better than I could be,” he says.

So Williams, Stewart and Goodson run and Hoover blocks. He hopes to, anyway. Carolina drafted fullback Tony Fiammetta of Syracuse in the fourth round.

“At first I was little upset,” says Hoover, 32, who is 10 years older than the rookie. “I felt like I had a very good year last season.

“But I ended up calming down, and I don't know what to think. Tony is a great guy and he comes in here willing to work. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen.”

What likely will happen is that both make the roster.

If you play fullback, here's what happens.

A 300-pound lineman busts into the backfield and you have to stop him. Williams takes a handoff and you read the defense and read the running back. The only man between DeMarcus Ware of Dallas, a truly professional pass rusher, and quarterback Jake Delhomme is you.

“It doesn't have to look pretty,” Hoover says of Ware. “As long as he doesn't touch the quarterback, I did my job.”

People have noticed.

Marty Schottenheimer, the long-time coach who now works for the NFL Radio Network, praised Hoover extensively during a visit to training camp. Without being asked, Delhomme talked about Hoover as if he was introducing him for an induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“Hoover is the leader of our group,” says assistant head coach Jim Skipper, who is in charge of running backs. “He is the backbone to the whole thing.”

Hoover ranks third all-time in games played for the Panthers, sixth in receptions, eighth in games started, eighth in rushing yards, and 12th in receiving yards.

The Panthers would no more go onto the field without a Hoover than they would without a helmet. When he was rookie, the fullback was William Floyd.

Perhaps the praise from Jake and the fellows is Hoover's reward for doing one of the toughest jobs on the field. But he doesn't want a reward. He wants the ball.

“Everybody wants the ball,” says Skipper. “That's human nature. Everybody who is renting wants to own, too.”

Coach, you weren't here when Hoover dominated Green Bay. He carried the ball more that night than he has the past two seasons combined.

“He's like a good spare tire,” says Skipper. “We're going on a cross-country tour and if we have a two-tire blowout, we got the best guy and we're ready to roll.”

Do you memorize this stuff before you talk?

“It just spills out,” Skipper says.

Maybe Skipper could take a detour some Sunday and put on a big old truck tire and give Hoover the ball 20 times.

Why not? Most of us think the other guy's job is easier. I bet Williams would trade positions.

Ever play fullback?

“No,” says Williams.

Ever want to?

“No,” says Williams.

Alas, Hoover once again will have to serve as the best fullback the Panthers have ever had.

But if I read him right, and I hope I'm not too strong here, he could be talked into switching to running back.

“I'd relish the opportunity,” Hoover says.

Archived